tunnels and banning

Hi, I would jsut like to start off by saying I am not 100% sure if this is allowed to be mentioned here if not feel free to close this thread down as you see fit.

So I found out the other day that my parents who live in America are coming down to visit in Australia, and are staying out my place. Since my parents live and work over there my dad mentioned he was going to set up a tunnel so he can access his work from Australia as you need to be in America to do so, but it would effect all devices that use the internet in the house to think they were in America. This is where my concern lies, as I know that some people have been banned from WoW as they use tunnels to get lower latency and waht not.

Would this cause a ban for me, or is it when you use third party programs?

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as i know they don't Ban anyone anymore for it. I used one for years and never once got a ban. What you need to know is if it hides your IP. That is what gets you banned. If it changes it that is all right you will just have to enter your authenticator again. If it hides your IP then you have a problem.

If you do it and get a ban, just ring blizz and explain what happened and they will unlock your account again.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    When I used it some years ago, I had no issues and wasn't banned. A lot of Europeans used wowtunnel when they played on US serves, don't recall anyone getting banned over that. You could write a ticket and ask though, would probably be the safest thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using a tunneling service isn't against WoW's rules. The problem is that it can make it looked like you're hacked because it appears your IP is logging in from weird places. It can trigger an automatic lock on your account (not a ban) that you have to call them to explain to have lifted.

So it's not a ban and your account isn't in jeopardy, but it sounds like it might be a pain in the ass because you do have to contact them and explain when it happens. Most people I know who have used a tunneling service have had to do this at least once, but I'm not sure how common it is. It might be the kind of thing you only have to do once and then they note your file. I don't know.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    A lot of Europeans used wowtunnel when they played on US serves, don't recall anyone getting banned over that.
    Is there a benefit in doing that? I have always played on an American server, yet I live in Europe. Originally I did it because I thought it would help me improve my language skills. But not once did I "tunnel".

OK thanks for clearing that up guys was jsut a bit wary as a few months ago a guy in our guild did claim to be ban from tunnels just wanted clarification on if it is truth or not

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    Is there a benefit in doing that? I have always played on an American server, yet I live in Europe. Originally I did it because I thought it would help me improve my language skills. But not once did I "tunnel".

As I said, it's been about 2 years or more since I used this and I don't know if anything has changed. But back then, every European would use it, cause it did lower your MS a bit. Not like a huge amount but enough to be worth it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-Babe View Post
    OK thanks for clearing that up guys was jsut a bit wary as a few months ago a guy in our guild did claim to be ban from tunnels just wanted clarification on if it is truth or not
    As Tziva said, you might have your account locked initially, that's just until you call them and they can verify that your account hasn't been compromised. But yeah, best to call them.

Tziva is absolutely correct. One thing that players can do to help prevent the battle.net account locks, is to have an authenticator attached - that prevents many of the locks that would happen when it appears the account is being logged into from a new location. Hope that helps!