Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Survival Hunter PVE Questions......

    Hello there fellow hunters. I have recently started rolling on my Hunter and I really do enjoy playing hunters. The hate from every other class. Unmatched AoE DPS and an effective arsenal of raid utilities for almost every situation.

    My Rotation (single Target)
    KS>ES x3 (proc)>BA/Explosive Trap>ES x1>SS>CS
    Im sure I forgot something. But afaik, im doing EVERYTHING right. Not energy capping, popping crows and using cds whenever i can, etc.

    Im gemming Crit and Agility. I am hit and exp cappd. I am pulling ~45k on singletarget fights. On guardians I pull 80k. Should I be rolling Marks or BM for single target fights?

  2. #2
    There's not really a rotation. There's a priority, but no real rotation.

    There's alot of questions though, for instance your gear. Link your armory.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    3,082
    I'm assuming you fire AS as well, and it's not a typo in that it isn't in your priority list.

    Other than that, dunno what to tell you. 45k seems a little low unless you're in blues.

  4. #4
    BM for single target and survival for aoe fights

    Hunter - Monk - Warlock - Shaman - Paladin
    <Immersion> - Alliance 25 man guild @ Frostmane Stream

  5. #5
    Cant post links. my ilvl is 464... name is : Petrollium Server: Cho'Gall Faction: Horde

  6. #6
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rollium/simple is his armory link

    -Use glaive toss in a single target rotation, it has a little more damage output than AS for 5 less focus and can also cleave for even more damage, which you can and should take advantage of when possible. This goes in front of AS in your priority.
    -I highly suggest using Fervor over Dire Beast for SV. AMoC in particular is just a pain in the ass to cast while trying not to be focused starved from casting ES and BA if needed, the extra focus goes a long ways.
    -SrS should always go up first and on many bosses you won't ever have to worry about reapplying it, but if you are waiting until after you use your ES and BA in your opener to use SrS, you're doing it wrong, it needs to go up first
    -Just as an aside, I would strongly suggest getting the deterrence glyph as your third major glyph in place of the camo one, really the only other glyph that is regularly useful except on the odd encounter you may need something else

    Also, BM is best for single target, and shares the same stat priorities with SV. Next patch SV is going to be much closer to BM for single target than it is now, so if you like SV you can probably just stick with it then

  7. #7
    ~45K isn't too far off for single target SV with that gear really. Your DPS will jump significantly by the time you get it up to the 485-490 area.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy921 View Post
    ~45K isn't too far off for single target SV with that gear really. Your DPS will jump significantly by the time you get it up to the 485-490 area.
    ^^ this. That's about what I was doing in your gear. At 483 I'm much higher than that. If you want, do a BM spec for single target though in yuor shoes I'd wait and see what 5.2 does to SV in that area.

    Rotationally, get your dots up first in general (so Serpent, BA). The rest looks OK though the way I think of it is a priority thing... KS>ES/BA>GT/AS>CS. If Serpent falls off, reapply. For more than one target, explosive trap vs BA. Use CDs as they come up mostly.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy921 View Post
    ~45K isn't too far off for single target SV with that gear really. Your DPS will jump significantly by the time you get it up to the 485-490 area.
    i dunno bout that... when i do CMs my gear is droped down to 464 blues and i pull 60-80k ST on bosses in my SV AoE talent spec.

    I know i have items that are far superior in terms of what they give then you can have but that wouldn't cause a 30-30% increase in damage, you prolly could tighting something up and push atleast 20% more damage in that gear.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    i dunno bout that... when i do CMs my gear is droped down to 464 blues and i pull 60-80k ST on bosses in my SV AoE talent spec.

    I know i have items that are far superior in terms of what they give then you can have but that wouldn't cause a 30-30% increase in damage, you prolly could tighting something up and push atleast 20% more damage in that gear.
    CMs scaling is a little weird. As far as I know it doesn't scale hit/expertise/sockets/trinkets all of which are beasting up your DPS past what you would have in blues.

    TBH when I zone into challenge modes the only stat I see dropping by a large margin is my crit (not counting primary stats).

  11. #11
    You are missing two engineering tinkers which help your dps more than you think. Frag belt is like an extra multishot, roughly, and synapse springs on gloves is an amazing mini trinket on use ability. Macro in the glove tinker to a Rapid Fire burst macro for Surv and MM or a Bestial Wrath burst macro for BM with "/use 10".
    for example:
    #showtooltip Bestial Wrath
    /use 10
    /use Blood Fury (racial)
    /use "on use trinket" or 13 or 14 depending on if it is your first or 2nd trinket
    /cast Rabid
    /Cast Bestial Wrath

    You always want to gem for agility unless the bonus makes sense to match its so that you get an overall gain or match in agility after matching the socket.

  12. #12
    Good catch on the tinkers. He's also got 7 unenchanted items.

    OP - If you're raiding, enchant them. If you're doing LFR etc and churning on gear it's fine not to bother but realize you're losing some stats. As you get 470 ilevel you really want to enchant everything.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-03-01 at 07:11 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy921 View Post
    ~45K isn't too far off for single target SV with that gear really. Your DPS will jump significantly by the time you get it up to the 485-490 area.
    Wouldn't say that. I had 467 Ilvl first week of normals and pulled ~65K on Feng if I recall correct (100% patchwerk in normal).
    But generally, as people have pointed out -
    Helm gems are ok.
    Every single other gem should be pure agil.
    Enchants on ALL items.
    Get 463 in every spot, it's not that hard. Rings/Cloak stands out.
    Windswept pages is probably the worst of the 463 trinkets because it procs haste. If you can find one of the others, go for it.
    And generally, go off of the priority:
    Kill shot > ES > Glaive Toss > Black Arrow > Arcane Shot > Cobra shot (always making sure there's focus so you can fire next ES/Glaive/BA).

  14. #14
    In my experience, my hunter was terrible until I was raid ready for MSV. Running dungeons once I got to 90 was just miserable.

    At that item level, not having things gemmed/enchanted/reforged really hurts your DPS. Even if you opt for the cheaper enchants, just having some form of stats on there is huge.

    That was very apparent at the beginning of this tier. The players that entered MSV in fully gemmed/enchanted/correctly reforged gear were miles ahead of the people that slacked off a little because they figured they'd replace all of their blues quickly.
    Last edited by Conando; 2013-03-03 at 12:06 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    And generally, go off of the priority:
    Kill shot > ES > Glaive Toss > Black Arrow > Arcane Shot > Cobra shot (always making sure there's focus so you can fire next ES/Glaive/BA).
    GT over BA?:O

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    GT over BA?:O
    Usually they only line up every two minutes, but yes, I prio GT over BA due to the lower cooldown on GT.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Usually they only line up every two minutes, but yes, I prio GT over BA due to the lower cooldown on GT.
    Have to disagree here a bit, ideally you would want to track your LnL cooldown, and pick between GT / BA accordingly...And generaly, the DPE of BA vs GT, plus the added T14 bonus would make me prioritize it, unless as previously mentioned LnL is on CD.
    Last edited by Kibu; 2013-03-03 at 12:40 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibu View Post
    Have to disagree here a bit, ideally you would want to track your LnL cooldown, and pick between GT / BA accordingly...And generaly, the DPE of BA vs GT, plus the added T14 bonus would make me prioritize it, unless as previously mentioned LnL is on CD.
    Concidering you're only pushing BA back with one second even in the scenario you prio glaive toss over BA, it's entirely neglible. The main idea behind it is the fact that Glaive toss damage is frontloaded, and a great ability for activating proc's (hits multiple times with its cleave = multiple chances to proc a trinket for one GBC).
    Also - Glaive toss is an ability you can "squeeze" an extra one in of in the end of the fight, raising your DPS a little. Black arrow is not, as it is a DOT whose benefit lays in the LnL component.
    You're right that the DPE for BA is higher (in BiS gear BA is ~180K damage, and Glaive toss is ~115K dmg), but the benefits of it is entirely placed in lock and load. Also, if you're trying to game an extra LnL proc by throwing BA in 1 second earlier, because the ICD is ready, then you'd also have to consider how long the cooldown on your explo shot is, and if you'll "waste" that. Seems an awfull hassle, considering you won't have time to use that "saved" second on your LnL ICD towards the end of the fight anyway, as you need 3 GBC's (and the tick time on ES) to take benefit of possibly gaining an extra.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Wouldn't say that. I had 467 Ilvl first week of normals and pulled ~65K on Feng if I recall correct (100% patchwerk in normal).
    But generally, as people have pointed out -
    Helm gems are ok.
    Every single other gem should be pure agil.
    Enchants on ALL items.
    Get 463 in every spot, it's not that hard. Rings/Cloak stands out.
    Windswept pages is probably the worst of the 463 trinkets because it procs haste. If you can find one of the others, go for it.
    And generally, go off of the priority:
    Kill shot > ES > Glaive Toss > Black Arrow > Arcane Shot > Cobra shot (always making sure there's focus so you can fire next ES/Glaive/BA).
    Regarding gems, just curious why you have an orange gem in your boots? I was under the impression you go for socket bonus if 120 or above.

  20. #20
    Hey I was wondering if GT was good for trinket proc as dracodraco said, especially in the beginning, it's worth it to use it for trinket proc with his long travel time?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •