Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New Hunter, first toon, need some advice please

I've been playing WoW for about a year now with another toon but I never really took the game extremely seriously with this toon and as a result I didn't really pick up any key ideas and learn how to properly play WoW. I started a new hunter about a month ago now and I intend to start to take WoW more seriously with this character. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to start off as a hunter or link me to a noob guide because I'm not really to sure about how to play the class at the moment. The toon is level 50 at the moment. I also keep getting told that my DPS is too low in dungeons but whenever I google this the guides are too complicated for me to follow since I'm a noob. Basically, what I'm after is knowledge on how to play the game as a hunter, in dungeon groups particularly (what should I do in dungeons). I would post a link to my armory page but my character isn't showing up on the WoW website at the moment. My DPS is 82 at the moment.
    Thanks!

First advice: spec either surv or bm, mm is trash atm.

If you do only 82 dps on level 50 you most likely have serious problems. Armory link would be great, but here are some total basics about hunter:

1) Your main stat is agility, screw anything else
    2) Always have your pet summoned, a great chunk of DPS at low level
    3) Every spec has a "main skill". For MM it's Chimera Shot, for BM its Kill Command, for Survival its Explosive Shot. Use those as many times as you can
    4) Manage focus, regenerate it with Cobra/Steady Shot. Never use those too much or too little, dont lack and dont cap focus
    5) Remember to cast Serpent Sting on your target

I guess those are the total basics that should up your dps. If you do all this and still have 82 dps, then I have no idea whats going on.

Deleted
    Icy-Veins seems to be really newbie-friendly and can answer some more in depth questions as well. Personally I would take a gander at their guides. It is however aimed at level 90 characters.

As for leveling your currently level 50 Hunter, I would suggest to grab a Survival spec and simply Multi-Shot your way through dungeons. As Survival your Multi-Shots spread your damage over time effect Serpent Sting on all targets, which also does instant poison damage based on 15% of Serpent Sting's total damage. Long story short, you will do a ton of damage on a large amount of targets. Since your tank is probably running ahead and grabbing 6+ mobs quite often you will do a ton of damage.

With that said, I'm not sure if you get these abilities/passives at level 50 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    That... wasn't very helpful.

Don't worry about your DPS until you are 90. At low levels heirlooms can easily double or triple your DPS, and low level scaling is very broken in favor of some specs, not to mention ridiculous tank DPS. My advice would be for you to get familiar with your important skills and start binding them all while leaving enough space on your keyboard/mouse for the extremely bloated number of skills you will be using regularly at 90. Don't worry about DPS now though, guides won't help your low level dps. For example kill command is not even worth casting until much higher Ilvls (at least in full heirlooms, I don't know about regular gear. Perhaps base damage is high enough to make it worth it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Its all in the race, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you aren't an Orc Hunter, you just aren't doing it right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Armory link would be great

/wow/en/character/hellfire/Legolassz/simple

Managed to get an armory link now but the forum site won't let me post the full link, but if you just copy and paste this to the end of battle.net you'll get to the toon I'm talking about. Thanks for all the replies btw, the help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Its all in the race, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you aren't an Orc Hunter, you just aren't doing it right.
    Troll for 5.2. If you aren't troll for 5.2 you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by myles161 View Post
    /wow/en/character/hellfire/Legolassz/simple

Managed to get an armory link now but the forum site won't let me post the full link, but if you just copy and paste this to the end of battle.net you'll get to the toon I'm talking about. Thanks for all the replies btw, the help is much appreciated.
    Your gear doesn't look like 82 dps, it must be your rotation then.

By the way, one of the most common mistakes made by early hunters is not doing something. a hunter ALWAYS does something. In your case it would be casting Aimed Shots or Arcane Shots as much as you can, making sure Serpent Sting is on target, when you can't do something due to lack of focus use Steady Shot a couple of times.

According to your armory you have obtained several blue quality items recently and not equipped them. Stuff like this adds up. Also as poster above me said, a hunter can be using an attack EVERY global cooldown. At level 50 as marksman spec your rotation should look like this:

Single target: Apply hunters mark, apply serpent sting, arcane shot until you have no focus left, then use steady shot to get it back. Ignore aimed shot for the most part, it is clunky and annoying while leveling.

Multiple targets (trash pulls): put down an explosive trap (this does aoe damage), apply serpent sting to each mob, and then spam multi-shot. When you run low on focus, use steady shot.

Your pet should be out at all times, set on assist, but make sure the ability growl is off in dungeons or it will pull agro and die.

Well, first of all, you might regret having a night elf hunter called Legolassz later on. I'm sorry, it had to be said.

But onto your real problem. I think that you should keep it simple until you get familiar with the class at around lv85, as the mobs in Pandaria take a bit longer to kill (the same goes for early Cataclysm, but it changes as soon as you get some quest gear, that's not the case for Pandaria).
    That means, if you are playing Marksmanship, use serpent sting and arcane shot as your main damaging abilities, steady shot if you are running out of focus, and kill shot whenever it's available as it's free, and that's pretty much all you have to do.
    When you reach lv60 pick up Thrill of the Hunt talent. It has a nice proc, and you'll still pretty much only use serpent sting and arcane shot.
    Another thing that is really important, and I don't know if you are doing this or not, but you cannot ever use your mouse for clicking on spells as a hunter.
    You must bind your keys the most comfortable way you feel and only use your keyboard for spells.
    The number of spells gets a bit big by the time you reach lv90, so better prepare yourself early on.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Best advice: don't listen to people like this, play what you enjoy.

There are plenty of resources to get you started. Read the sticky threads on this site and check out other sites like Icy-Veins. They aren't always 100% accurate but its a good starting point.

And yea, no offense but your name is going to cause you problems. Some people won't even invite you to groups with a name like that, pick something original.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2013-03-02 at 05:55 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Best advice: don't listen to people like this, play what you enjoy.

There are plenty of resources to get you started. Read the sticky threads on this site and check out other sites like Icy-Veins. They aren't always 100% accurate but its a good starting point.

And yea, no offense but your name is going to cause you problems. Some people won't even invite you to groups with a name like that, pick something original.
    So you go and tell him to spec whatever he wants but then you are concerned about whether or not people will invite him to groups? That's a bit ironic. If I was a raid leader I would NOT want my hunters to be the worst hunter spec therefore I wouldn't invite a hunter that is MM. He needs to either play SV or BM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durumu View Post
    So you go and tell him to spec whatever he wants but then you are concerned about whether or not people will invite him to groups? That's a bit ironic. If I was a raid leader I would NOT want my hunters to be the worst hunter spec therefore I wouldn't invite a hunter that is MM. He needs to either play SV or BM.
    Yes it is ironic but its true. Any spec can be played well enough but your name is the first impression you make and you'll get a lot of heat for naming your hunter any variation of Legolas.

Yes it is ironic but its true. Any spec can be played well enough but your name is the first impression you make and you'll get a lot of heat for naming your hunter any variation of Legolas.
    You missed the point. Why take an MM hunter who can do >=5% less than the other hunters who are BM/SV even if he performs perfectly? If he can do MM perfectly then he could do BM/SV perfectly and get a >=5% dps increase just from switching specs. If you are doing any sort of progression raiding you are going to want to be the best spec. If he goes mm, the spec sure wont help with his name though, that's for sure. So he should go BM/SV.

10+ Year Old Account
    You missed the point. Why take an MM hunter who can do >=5% less than the other hunters who are BM/SV even if he performs perfectly? If he can do MM perfectly then he could do BM/SV perfectly and get a >=5% dps increase just from switching specs. If you are doing any sort of progression raiding you are going to want to be the best spec. If he goes mm, the spec sure wont help with his name though, that's for sure. So he should go BM/SV.
    You think a brand new player is concerened with progression raiding? You can play any spec you want in LFR and normal mode raids.

The OP asked advice for mainly dungeons and questing. MM is fine for both and recieving a buff in like 3 days? you're nitpicking.

You think a brand new player is concerened with progression raiding? You can play any spec you want in LFR and normal mode raids.

The OP asked advice for mainly dungeons and questing. MM is fine for both and recieving a buff in like 3 days? you're nitpicking.
    SV is the best for dungeons anyway. He should at least go SV. It's also not nitpicking if I want what's best for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    SV is the best for dungeons anyway. He should at least go SV. It's also not nitpicking if I want what's best for him.
    Agreed but it isn't all about what's 'best". I was simply stating that you shouldn't avoid MM just because its 'trash atm'. The OP should play whatever they feel most comfortable with and whatever they have the most fun with. Your spec won't make a difference if you don't know core mechanics. Instead you should focus on rotation, positioning, learning how to kite and trap, micro managing the pet, proper CD usage, learning boss mechanics, etc. All of that is far more important than playing the FotM spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    If you do only 82 dps on level 50 you most likely have serious problems. Armory link would be great, but here are some total basics about hunter:

1) Your main stat is agility, screw anything else
    2) Always have your pet summoned, a great chunk of DPS at low level
    3) Every spec has a "main skill". For MM it's Chimera Shot, for BM its Kill Command, for Survival its Explosive Shot. Use those as many times as you can
    4) Manage focus, regenerate it with Cobra/Steady Shot. Never use those too much or too little, dont lack and dont cap focus
    5) Remember to cast Serpent Sting on your target

I guess those are the total basics that should up your dps. If you do all this and still have 82 dps, then I have no idea whats going on.
    Dungeons from 50-80 consist purely of this: Play Survival: Serpent sting, tab, serpent sting, tab, serpent sting - just dot every mob with that and you'll be top dps in no-time. Keep doing this until you earn serpent spread, at which point just spam multishot.

Once you hit 80-85, take Okacz's advice, since you have to start playing properly. Until you get used to focus try and hover around 40, because that means you'll always be able to cast at least 1 of your 2 main skills when they come up, and you're never more than 1 steady shot cast from being able to cast the other, drop any lower without proper planning and you'll find yourself delaying Explosive shot and BA for 3+ seconds, which starts to impact your dps quite badly
    Last edited by mmoc5ff2ee9b91; 2013-03-02 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    Cheers for the advice guys, I'll bare the name thing in mind as well.