Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Lot's of mods and hacked xboxs. Lot's of red ringed xboxs. I'm sure SOME players have no desire to play online but that's a tiny tiny minority, certainly not in the millions. Still it isn't a measure of how many users either

A. Have internet connections capable of going online for games
    B. Desire to play online games.
    Just as a side note - given that an estimated 20% of Americans have no internet access from the home, I don't think it's as far flung an idea as you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Just as a side note - given that an estimated 20% of Americans have no internet access from the home, I don't think it's as far flung an idea as you make out.
    Those same 20% of Americans are also not likely to purchase a brand new 500$ console. They don't have internet because they can't afford it. Not because they don't want it.

Those same 20% of Americans are also not likely to purchase a brand new 500$ console. They don't have internet because they can't afford it. Not because they don't want it.
    An Xbox 360 costs $200 tops. Buying that as a child's christmas or birthday present isn't completely unaffordable. And this isn't about wanting online or not - it's about using it or not. We can't say that anyone does or doesn't want it for any kind of fact. We can only state for a fact that there are a potential 30 million Xboxs *not* being used online at all.

An Xbox 360 costs $200 tops. Buying that as a child's christmas or birthday present isn't completely unaffordable. And this isn't about wanting online or not - it's about using it or not. We can't say that anyone does or doesn't want it for any kind of fact. We can only state for a fact that there are a potential 30 million Xboxs *not* being used online at all.
    Not at launch it didnt and the point remains. If an Xbox360 isn't completely unaffordable than the likely hood is that an internet connection isn't either. People do have priorities.

Not at launch it didnt and the point remains. If an Xbox360 isn't completely unaffordable than the likely hood is that an internet connection isn't either. People do have priorities.
    And yet, despite that, there are a total of 54 million people not using the Gold service. 30 million that have never signed up and 24 million that have signed up for the free service. Out of 54 million people - not including multiple user accounts/systems, you're really suggesting not even 1 or 2 million might not want to play games online?

Anyway, this has gone way off topic now, so I'll read an follow up you make, but I'm leaving it there, there's nothing to be gained from further discussion on this. My point in the first place was that there's clearly a market for an offline Diablo 3 community, as shown by the above figures.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    The problem they probably want to get around is those used game bins from gamestop and such. Developers receive zero money from people buying used games.
    Car manufacturers get zero money from a person buying a used car - yet used car lots are on almost every street corner. This is a terrible move, guts a very significant portion of the gaming industry and really sticks it to the small business that trades in second hand gear.

And yet, despite that, there are a total of 54 million people not using the Gold service. 30 million that have never signed up and 24 million that have signed up for the free service. Out of 54 million people - not including multiple user accounts/systems, you're really suggesting not even 1 or 2 million might not want to play games online?

Anyway, this has gone way off topic now, so I'll read an follow up you make, but I'm leaving it there, there's nothing to be gained from further discussion on this. My point in the first place was that there's clearly a market for an offline Diablo 3 community, as shown by the above figures.
    no their are 54 million xboxs that aren't tied to a gold service. We dont know what that number includes. Does that include xboxs banned from pirating? does that include red ringed xboxs? How inflated is that number? I'm suggesting the number itself is bunk.

Does this mean that you can't use Gamefly for the new xbox ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    The DS is a console. What are you smoking? The PS and PS2 are not revolutionary consoles. Sony doesnt do innovation/revolution. They stick to their comfort zones.
    which is why they are losing out to the likes of samsung and apple not to mention the huge amounts of money they are losing each year

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Well if it's true, looks like I'll be getting a ps4
    ...and you'll have the same situation on a different console. It's a "publisher decision" on the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojonez View Post
    ...and you'll have the same situation on a different console. It's a "publisher decision" on the PS4.
    Publishers don't dictate the hardware that goes into the consoles, nor do they dictate the OS the consoles use. So if Sony doesn't allow for a system like that, then a publisher can't force it.

Sony has been vague about whether they will prevent used games from playing or not, which is concerning. But it's absolutely up to Sony and Microsoft, not publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Publishers don't dictate the hardware that goes into the consoles, nor do they dictate the OS the consoles use. So if Sony doesn't allow for a system like that, then a publisher can't force it.

Sony has been vague about whether they will prevent used games from playing or not, which is concerning. But it's absolutely up to Sony and Microsoft, not publishers.

Uhh well that's not exactly true. While I agree it's up to sony and microsoft ultimately the publishers and developers do indeed have influence over them. Theirs alot of interests to be weighed here. Like if it wasn't true then why is sony going back to a plain old x86 archicture? Why not stick with their cell crap?

Uhh well that's not exactly true. While I agree it's up to sony and microsoft ultimately the publishers and developers do indeed have influence over them. Theirs alot of interests to be weighed here. Like if it wasn't true then why is sony going back to a plain old x86 archicture? Why not stick with their cell crap?
    Cause the Cell possessor well technically superior, is incredibly difficult to code for, and caused their lack of games at launch of the PS3, which as we all know was horrendous.

Not to mention publishers have zero say on how Sony or anyone else builds there hardware. It's a "If you don't like my rules GTFO" situation, and publishers would lose their license to publish on that console.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Cause the Cell possessor well technically superior, is incredibly difficult to code for, and caused their lack of games at launch of the PS3, which as we all know was horrendous.

Not to mention publishers have zero say on how Sony or anyone else builds there hardware. It's a "If you don't like my rules GTFO" situation, and publishers would lose their license to publish on that console.
    Suggests that developers and publishers do indeed have some say. Otherwise sony could push it's cell processor and just not give a fuck who was gonna program for the fucking thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suggests that developers and publishers do indeed have some say. Otherwise sony could push it's cell processor and just not give a fuck who was gonna program for the fucking thing.
    even then that suggests the only pull they have is along the lines of "oh gee we might want to make our machine more easier to develop for so we can encourage more developers to make games for our console to make more money."
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    even then that suggests the only pull they have is along the lines of "oh gee we might want to make our machine more easier to develop for so we can encourage more developers to make games for our console to make more money."
    well yea but that's expressly the point. Like if all the developers and publishers got on the same page tmmrw and said were only gonna support whichever of you adds in the most atrocious built in hardware DRM are you telling me neither sony nor MS would fall over themselves to get that exclusivity?