Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Demonology opener

I'm trying to get used to Demonology before 5.2 hits. Since it's pretty much first time I play the spec since the revamp, I of course have a lot of questions (reading the guide answered some of those, all good). Most pressing one, though, is following: What's the most optimal opener? I honestly have no idea. A second-per-second list would be a great thing to have, at least until I get used to things.

Thanks in advance!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the opener which I generally use:
    -Pre-Pot + Soul Fire
    -*Curse of the Elements (if you are applying the debuff)
    -Bloodfury/Berserking
    -Corruption
    -Hand of Gul'dan (charge 1)
    -*Doomguard (if fight is greater then 10min)
    -Imp Swarm
    -Grimoire: Felguard
    -Felstorm
    -Hand of Gul'dan (charge 2) - Should allow for two stacks of debuff on target
    -Metamorphosis + Dark Soul: Knowledge
    -Doom + Doom (Equates to 1:30-1:36 duration)
    -*Doom -> on-use Trinket -> Doom

Follow this by spamming Touch of Chaos until you are out of Demonic Fury. Then proceed with normal rotation, using Soul Fire with Molten Core procs, achieving two stacks of Hand of Gul'dan when the charges are used and making the most of Demonic Fury by spending it when you have as many active buffs as possible; Lightweave, Synapse Springs, Dark Soul: Knowledge, Berserking, Bloodfury. etc.

I'm still not 100% sure of Dark Soul placement, but the damage output has been pretty effective.
    Last edited by Zevoa; 2013-02-26 at 03:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrenka View Post
    This is the opener which I generally use:
    -Pre-Pot + Soul Fire
    -*Curse of the Elements (if you are applying the debuff)
    -Bloodfury/Berserking
    -Corruption
    -Hand of Gul'dan (charge 1)
    -*Doomguard (if fight is greater then 10min)
    -Imp Swarm
    -Grimoire: Felguard
    -Felstorm
    -Hand of Gul'dan (charge 2) - Should allow for two stacks of debuff on target
    -Metamorphosis + Dark Soul: Knowledge
    -Doom + Doom (Equates to 1:30-1:36 duration)
    -*Doom -> on-use Trinket -> Doom

Follow this by spamming Touch of Chaos until you are out of Demonic Fury. Then proceed with normal rotation, using Soul Fire with Molten Core procs, achieving two stacks of Hand of Gul'dan when the charges are used and making the most of Demonic Fury by spending it when you have as many active buffs as possible; Lightweave, Synapse Springs, Dark Soul: Knowledge, Berserking, Bloodfury. etc.

I'm still not 100% sure of Dark Soul placement, but the damage output has been pretty effective.
    So you would rather stack Doomguard sub-20% rather than with buffs in the opening (assuming <10 fight)? Does Doomguard stack with mastery, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    So you would rather stack Doomguard sub-20% rather than with buffs in the opening (assuming <10 fight)? Does Doomguard stack with mastery, by the way?
    Yes he does "scale" (thats what i thinkk you meant) with mastery,int etc. and i usually just save him for sub 20%. So yes to both questions =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatuss View Post
    Yes he does "scale" (thats what i thinkk you meant) with mastery,int etc. and i usually just save him for sub 20%. So yes to both questions =)
    Pft, that's the same.
    I usually end up waiting about 20 seconds between my Imp Swarm coming off CD (happens first) and my Dark Soul coming off CD (happens second). I don't have the 4-piece. Is it worth delaying Imp Swarm so that I can stack it with Dark Soul?

Yes, it is better too just sit on the imp CD until you a large proc so that they can benefit from it.

Deleted
    on fights where we pop everything at the start with heroism (blade lord, garajal, etc) I use

- prepot+soulfire
    - curse of elements (though usually our other lock applies it so i've taken to skipping this step
    - corruption
    - hog
    - sbolt 2-3 times (depends how many i can squeeze in before 2nd hog)
    - hog so it stacks the dot
    - meta + synapse springs + dark soul (all trinkets usually up by now)
    - doomguard (if not using below 20%
    - doom
    - imp swarn and GoServ felguard (i don;t have the 4-set, so my dark soul and goserv guard always line up)
    - Soulfire spam and toc to keep corruption from falling off. Skull banner is usually up when i'm soulfire spamming.
    - continue rotation as normal

If we're not popping heroism at the start i'll usually skip off on the soulfires while in meta. Burns too much fury. Without the heroism I usually run out of fury with about 3-4 seconds left on dark soul which possibly is a dps loss, but i like to think that popping imps+goservguard with all the trinket procs+potion makes up for that.

Would it be better to wait and not use your 4k int pot until you build up to 750 - 800ish demonic fury? Then you would use dark soul + trinkets + 4k int pot + metamorphosis -> spam ToC. This way you're stacking all your buffs (including your potion) for when you're in demon form.

I might be missreading (happened to me a lot) but isn't using SoulFire during meta a bad idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by OokingDooker View Post
    Would it be better to wait and not use your 4k int pot until you build up to 750 - 800ish demonic fury? Then you would use dark soul + trinkets + 4k int pot + metamorphosis -> spam ToC. This way you're stacking all your buffs (including your potion) for when you're in demon form.
    Usually you use ur pot at the end of a fight .. you cant use ur prepot later than before the fight begins .. ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OokingDooker View Post
    for opener dps purpose? yes.
    overall? no.
    you can use the 2nd potion later on in the fight.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
    I might be missreading (happened to me a lot) but isn't using SoulFire during meta a bad idea ?
    You have unlimited molten core procs on a target below 20%; in this circumstance Soul Fire replaces Touch of Chaos.

Deleted
    during heroism with molten core and skull banner then skull banner it works out to be good dps, provided you have the fury for it. After a while you should get a feel for when/if to soulfire while in meta. Sub 25% you get the infiniten molten core procs as stated above.

As for potions, I use the first one for prepotting before the pull, and the second one nearer the end of the fight when I have a ton of fury and cooldowns ready.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatuss View Post
    Yes, it is better too just sit on the imp CD until you a large proc so that they can benefit from it.
    Does it take a snapshot of your stats or does it update dynamically?

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:37 PM ----------

And how about Doomguard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    Does it take a snapshot of your stats or does it update dynamically? And how about Doomguard?
    Nope, no more snapshotting.

EDIT: Should add that parts of it are snap shotted though, like the cooldown of Imps is shortened by haste, and that cooldown DOES snapshot.

Sorry for thread stealing, but I hope this helps to.

MY Question is to do with Doom, to let the dot drop off before replacing same as cata or refresh before it falls off?

I'm 99% sure to let it drop for a big hit correct

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotzadotz View Post
    Sorry for thread stealing, but I hope this helps to.

MY Question is to do with Doom, to let the dot drop off before replacing same as cata or refresh before it falls off?

I'm 99% sure to let it drop for a big hit correct
    We have a Demonology guide sticky on the top of the board where you should ask questions like this.

To answer it though, you should normally allready be back in Meta and adding to the duration with Pandemic before it drops off. The only reason to let it drop off is when you have it buffed through the roof and are going to refresh it without buffs. Even in that case though you are most likely going to put up your Doom's with at least Dark Soul anyway, so it might not be worth it. Affdots addon is your friend here to make sure.

Deleted
    I was actually wondering about the same thing as on ptr i had my doom buffed by int procs and 100% crit trinket and later on affdots was showing me 30% on doom icon I think i should juse let it fall off in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    We have a Demonology guide sticky on the top of the board where you should ask questions like this.

To answer it though, you should normally allready be back in Meta and adding to the duration with Pandemic before it drops off. The only reason to let it drop off is when you have it buffed through the roof and are going to refresh it without buffs. Even in that case though you are most likely going to put up your Doom's with at least Dark Soul anyway, so it might not be worth it. Affdots addon is your friend here to make sure.
    *Mutters under his breath while in the naughty corner while rubbing his smacked hand* Haha

sorry, was a spare of the moment thought, but thanks for the reply :-)

I have a question. Is using GoSupremacy (Wrathguard) is viable now? or in every fight is more recommended to use GoService