Poll: Which?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrus Vakarian View Post
    FF VI followed by FF VII...I really like Sephiroth as a villain but Kefka is that much cooler
    Kefka is a fucking maniac. Like the Joker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Kefka is a fucking maniac. Like the Joker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I can't wait to get my Kefka tattoo done up.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    I cant really decide out of X & IX they're both my faves

People who voted 12

something is wrong with you

The only thing I really disliked about X was that you were on rails for most of the game. Didn't have that exploration aspect that I had come to expect from FF games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy IX.
    It has quite noticeable faults (several characters who play no real part on plot, some things were left too vague, the entire existence of Eiko to name a few) the sheer quirkyness and how interesting the world is always wins me to its side, I'm sorry. I can see how the artwork and character design would divide people, especially after the much more realistically propotioned character designs of VIII. It was also a nice throwback to older FF-games. Also, the soundtrack is one of the best in series, even if it lacks a song as iconic as One-Winged Angel or Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec ("Melodies of Life" just never caught on that good, did it?)
    I also enjoyed FF VII, but I feel the story is too over the top and complicated with all those sequels and prequels and sidequels and what you have; I'm sorry, I lost interest already. I also feel they lost something in character design when they went from the original art style to the more generic pseudo-realism the never games use.

VI was also awesome for various reasons but I'm not too big of a fan of the Broken World or whatever it was called, you know what I mean. But it did have a lot of exploration and things you probably don't catch on your first play-through if you are not using a guide.

I'm surprised how well X is faring. For me it was the last Final Fantasy with that Final Fantasy feel that got me into the series in the first place (I also liked XII more than any of my friends did, but it didn't feel like Final Fantasy game for me and I felt very distant and uninvolved with the plot), but while the character designs are good itself and the turn-based battle system was a step-up from the ones previous instalments used, it wasn't that great.

I would consider the "perfect" FF Game Final Fantasy IX, ..Tactics was also an amazing (if not underrated) game.

Personal favorite tho? ..I would have to say Final Fantasy IV, simply because its what got me into the series..followed by Final Fantasy VI which was just..amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    People who voted 12

I really liked 12, a lot better than 10 actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Funny thing about bias, I think FFVII has way better characters, story, and combat system than FFX. As far as I'm concerned, no other FF game comes close to the total package that FFVII is. IMO.
    Sorry, I thought the "IMO" was implied .

The thing with FFVII is SOME of the characters are amazing (Cloud, RedXIII, Cid) but some of the characters are just terrible and seriously stereotypical(Cait Sith, Yuffie, Token... I mean Barret). What I liked about the characters in X was they at least TRIED to be a bit original, plus they were all designed by Amano Yoshitaka, one of my favourite artists of ALL time (serious, check out Dream Eaters, graphic novel written by Niel Gaiman with art by Amano Yoshitaka, I went into geek overdrive when I saw it) so that helps . Also X has Auron... Freakin AURON!

As for Story... tbh I said "amazing" didn't say best I think VII might jjuusstt pip X at story, I loved the steampunk type style and the "taking on the corporations! oh no wait, now an ancient fucked up genetically enhanced supersolider wants to kill us... crap.... Also because of the twist with cloud, which I totally didn't see coming, due to being 12 at the time .

As much as I loved 7's combat, there was a bit of deadtime, when you're just sitting there waiting for the bars to fill up, what I loved about X was the flow of the combat, which made it look a bit more cinematic, plus I LOVED the Summons. There's just something epiccly boss about everyone else leaving the battle and your summon coming in "dun worry guys, I got dis!" plus Anima was messed up in just the right way .

and then X has Blitzball as great as chocobo racing/breeding was... Blitzball! Could/should have been a game all to itself.

I agree 100% with 8 though, the weapon upgrade system annoyed the hell out of me in that game, same with the limit break system. Gunblades were cool though.....
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

My favorite Final Fantasy, (Tactics!) isn't on the list, so I voted for 10 just to put 6 further behind, because I'm a spiteful asshole. ^_^

But seriously though, of the main series, I really don't have a favorite. I love 7/8/9/10 a lot, and which one I like more depends on my mood. They each have their flaws and their good points. I like the sprite based Final Fantasy games, (except 6) but I could never love them as much as the 3d ones, and everything after 10 I've either hated or simply haven't played yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    People who voted 12

Having a differing opinion is hardly "wrong." Not respecting that fact is.

My favorite was and will always be Final Fantasy 6. I would have said Final Fantasy 4 but I've been playing the remake on IOS lately, and hunting for tails for the onion gear and adamantie armor, is making me hate this game on the level of a Modern Warfare game.

10 and 12 were mine. I couldn't imagine anyone cooler than the judges in 12.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Tough call between IV, IX, and X for me. I think X-2 had one of the best combat systems, so that gets an honorable mention. If you can quit being a baby about how "girly" it was, X-2 was actually a good game.
    I don't see how disliking how "girly" it was makes me a baby :P It really was overload and a massive turnoff. When you have to consciously ignore it and remind yourself the good part is coming back (more fights!) then it's really kinda overwhelming. I did like the combat system as well, and revisiting and seeing new parts of spira was enjoyable, but it was definitely not one of the better FFs. I thought I might like Paine at first, but dammit even her whole "Can I hurt him now" became overkill 3 hours in. You can only say that so many times before it stops sounding cool (i.e. once).

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Tactics games > All

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    I don't see how disliking how "girly" it was makes me a baby :P It really was overload and a massive turnoff. When you have to consciously ignore it and remind yourself the good part is coming back (more fights!) then it's really kinda overwhelming. I did like the combat system as well, and revisiting and seeing new parts of spira was enjoyable, but it was definitely not one of the better FFs. I thought I might like Paine at first, but dammit even her whole "Can I hurt him now" became overkill 3 hours in. You can only say that so many times before it stops sounding cool (i.e. once).
    Yeah I couldn't stand Paine. I didn't really think the girly-ness was overloaded all that often. To me it didn't really take away from the game, but I could see how it could.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Torn between VII and X, currently playing IX for the first time though, and loving it. My only gripe is the insanly slow combat..5-6 seconds of blackscreen when entering combat and whatnot, and the ATB is soooo slow, otherwise it's ace!

Tactics is pretty much the only FF game I truly enjoyed. I will say that I liked the combat/skill tree in FFX, but I hated the minigames, story, and half the characters, and I really liked the characters in FFIX, but I got bored with it an never finished it, and I though VI was OK.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMeo View Post
    Final Fantasy IX.
    It has quite noticeable faults (several characters who play no real part on plot, some things were left too vague, the entire existence of Eiko to name a few) the sheer quirkyness and how interesting the world is always wins me to its side, I'm sorry. I can see how the artwork and character design would divide people, especially after the much more realistically propotioned character designs of VIII. It was also a nice throwback to older FF-games. Also, the soundtrack is one of the best in series, even if it lacks a song as iconic as One-Winged Angel or Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec ("Melodies of Life" just never caught on that good, did it?)
    I also enjoyed FF VII, but I feel the story is too over the top and complicated with all those sequels and prequels and sidequels and what you have; I'm sorry, I lost interest already. I also feel they lost something in character design when they went from the original art style to the more generic pseudo-realism the never games use.

VI was also awesome for various reasons but I'm not too big of a fan of the Broken World or whatever it was called, you know what I mean. But it did have a lot of exploration and things you probably don't catch on your first play-through if you are not using a guide.

I'm surprised how well X is faring. For me it was the last Final Fantasy with that Final Fantasy feel that got me into the series in the first place (I also liked XII more than any of my friends did, but it didn't feel like Final Fantasy game for me and I felt very distant and uninvolved with the plot), but while the character designs are good itself and the turn-based battle system was a step-up from the ones previous instalments used, it wasn't that great.
    I found the Elizabethan (did I spell that right?) themes in IX 's environments interesting, but nostalgia for Balamb Garden/Midgard keeps winning over :P. While I like IX's throwbacks to older FFs, I also felt there was too much of the same thing going on. In the other titles of the series, you were brought to a rural village (wooden houses, nearby rivers) then later to a sprawling city (brick houses, slum areas) and the in between towns with different "feels" to them. It felt the same for me throughout IX; thankfully the dungeons were quite varied in look and feel.

A concept I liked about Final Fantasy (possibly because I started with 8) was how the technology/magic ranged throughout the game's towns and dungeons. Not all the FFs used this as much; FF10 only gave you a brief overview of a supposedly advanced future, with the rest being fairly consistent, and 12 had constant tech/magic throughout. Whereas in FF8, you had Winhill, then you had Esthar. Tomb of the Unknown King, then Lunatic Pandora. FF7 well.. it's known for its cyberpunk themes so a no brainer there on the environment variety.

Also surprised as to how many people favourited FF10. I found it only OK on my first go, since I didn't like the linear experience. I had to play through it a second time before I found things I really liked about it, like the gorgeous animations compared to previous installations (Anima is one of my favourite summons, and the Magus Sisters were...different), and Auron being the quintessential badass (compared to FF's previous weak attempts at a badass hero, like Amarant or..err..Irvine? not counting the main characters). Seifer would've been a good contender for crazy badass villain, except later on he just became crazy and not so much badass.. Never really did anything remotely close to the scale of Kefka, or Kuja. He was just sorta there after joining up with the sorceress.

Other than Auron though, didn't really like most of the cast of 10. Had a love-hate thing for Yuna and Tidus, though I applauded Square for their *initial* decision to have a bittersweet ending. If it had been kept that way, I think 10 would have been my favourite in terms of story at least despite how much I'm a sucker for happy endings. It was a brilliant twist to my 17 year old self, having the main character you use deliberately walking to and in a sense, assisting his own doom. For the greater good, indeed!