Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Item Squish; is it really coming?

When this prospect was first announcement, number crunchers far and wide scaled down our current numbers to what might hypothetically be our stats post-item squish. The general and indeed, overwhelming consensus, was that the item squish likely would not be happening due to the fact that it would make even Level 60 content such as Molten Core, impossible to solo; namely due to the fact that you can only scale down so far before players/mobs end up having HP and other stats in the region of two/single digits. This proved time and time again to be an obstacle in the face of those arguing in favour of the item squish, and with the Blizzard tidbit post concerning Sunwell, it seems they're quite content with things being par for the course concerning the soloing of not just Vanilla's hardest content, but the Burning Crusade's also, and all that it entails;

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Just a small update this, which should hopefully come as good news... A last minute fix was made to patch 5.2.0 that should allow players to solo the Kalecgos encounter in The Sunwell.
    Perhaps that will be enough to end the debate but i'm sure there will still be those who have heart palpitations at the very mention of big numbers.

If you reduce the stat pool of every entity in the game, including players, by 90%, nothing would change beyond a cleaner looking combat log.

Numbers feel a little silly right now. I was disappointed that they didn't do the squish for MoP.

Deleted
    the numbers of this game now remind me of maplestory: a 6+ digit spamfest

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    If you reduce the stat pool of every entity in the game, including players, by 90%, nothing would change beyond a cleaner looking combat log.

Numbers feel a little silly right now. I was disappointed that they didn't do the squish for MoP.
    Their plan was never a 90% (or any %) reduction, but a sliding scale of nerfs. The level 1-60 experience would not change, but instead of BC content ending at 150 or so item levels, it would end at 120-ish. And WOLK content would start at 120 and end at about 200, the cataclysm start at 200. So it was just a massive nerf, basically. That being said, I believe it will be here next expansion.

Deleted
    What is your goal with this post? To 'prove' the item squish will not come? It will eventually, don't worry. If that's not what you meant, then I'm at a complete loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    the numbers of this game now remind me of maplestory: a 6+ digit spamfest
    Numbers are numbers; 1 million is no more ridiculous than 1.

I am really surprised the item squish didn't go through. It is a little out of control right now and is only going to get worse as item levels keep rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammriy View Post
    I am really surprised the item squish didn't go through. It is a little out of control right now and is only going to get worse as item levels keep rising.
    I'm at a loss at how anything gets worse as numbers get bigger to be honest.

They're....they're just numbers. Why do people even care?

The reason Kalecgos couldn't be soloed was a fight-mechanic issue (Something about teleporting, probably similar to C'thun), Blizz fixed/removed the teleport to make the fight soloable now, has nothing to do with the item squish.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    To 'prove' the item squish will not come? It will eventually, don't worry.
    The game has done well enough without it thus far with no issues at all. That and you have the fact that RPGs, by their very nature, revolve around the idea of character progression. It would be interesting if Blizzard did their first completely open public poll to determine just how many people would enjoy hitting as hard as they did at 60; I wager the results would see us staying on our current track.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'm at a loss at how anything gets worse as numbers get bigger to be honest.
    I think it has to do with the combat log being an absolute mess, bosses health being into the crazy number range "He has 10 million billion health!" (exaggerating) and the numbers flashing across your screen with 1000000, 2880000, 3000000! When that starts to be your white hits and so frequent, it just gets to be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    The reason Kalecgos couldn't be soloed was a fight-mechanic issue (Something about teleporting, probably similar to C'thun), Blizz fixed/removed the teleport to make the fight soloable now, has nothing to do with the item squish.
    One of the main arguments given by Item Squish proponents however is that old content such as raids should not be soloable and that the Item Squish would require people to farm them with others due to the way it would work. Blizzard clearly disagrees on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    And this is where the math fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammriy View Post
    I think it has to do with the combat log being an absolute mess, bosses health being into the crazy number range "He has 10 million billion health!" (exaggerating) and the numbers flashing across your screen with 1000000, 2880000, 3000000! When that starts to be your white hits and so frequent, it just gets to be a bit much.
    Then all we need is an update which formats the combat log better.

/end of item squish

I don't understand why people think when they squish stats and hp it is ONLY going to be the characters. My understanding was when they squish, they squish EVERYTHING. They're not going to make it impossible to solo old vanilla raids, come on now. Use your heads people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's going to happen, that's why they added a coma to the numbers to make it easier for all you pro squishers to comprehend the numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    One of the main arguments given by Item Squish proponents however is that old content such as raids should not be soloable and that the Item Squish would require people to farm them with others due to the way it would work. Blizzard clearly disagrees on that point.
    Blizzard has allowed solo'ing since forever, nothing has changed there.
    People would still be able to solo old raids...scaling works both ways...
    They wont scale down players without scaling down old content (there's even blue posts saying solo'ing would still be possible and wont require a group.)

There's also programming limitations in wow's game engine (there's workarounds for it ofcourse, one being item squish).

Item squish will never happen. They'd lose way too many subs. I'd be one of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrouswheel View Post
    Item squish will never happen. They'd lose way too many subs. I'd be one of them.
    Im pretty sure it'll happen in next expo, but that aside.
    May i ask why you would quit over such a thing ?

Personally i couldn't care less lol, dps/hps is just a means to an end, get very little enjoyment from seeing numbers, be it 1k dps or 1 million dps (its about topping meters, which wouldn't change at all, just lower numbers.)
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-02-26 at 04:01 PM.