Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Sword of Light buffed to 15%

    GC has just announced on the class and set bonus issues thread that they're buffing Sword of Light, the Retribution specialization, from 10 to 15%.

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Dreadlord ipoststuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    887
    yes!

    cant wait 5.2 now

  3. #3
    What would that 5% buff to SoL equate to our total damage?

  4. #4
    only 5%? ret still bad for arenas

  5. #5
    Will help in PvE and overal dps obviously.

    Will do hardly anything for PvP, rets problems go way beyond damage in pvp, but then at this point of the patch they have given up trying to balance pvp so w.e.

  6. #6
    Stood in the Fire Cronosmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    385
    Now Ret only needs:

    1) Divine Protection or Hand of Freedom remove Stun or Fear or Silence or Umbreakable Spirit Baseline - Ret is too vulnerable against any control

    2) Absolve goes to Hand os Salvation - is horrible to compete with Sacrifice

    3) Instant Repentance or 1 min Blind - Ret needs peels

    4) Knockback or Smoke or Solar or Grip - for RBGs

    Done.
    Last edited by Cronosmash; 2013-02-26 at 06:41 PM.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    Now Ret only needs:

    1) Divine Protection or Hand of Freedom remove Stun or Fear or Silence or Umbreakable Spirit Baseline - Ret is too vulnerable against any control

    2) Absolve goes to Hand os Salvation - is horrible to compete with Sacrifice

    3) Instant Repentance or 1 min Blind - Ret needs peels

    4) Knockback or Smoke or Solar or Grip - for RBGs

    Done.
    this will never happen lol. ret rbgs hard way to go

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    Will help in PvE and overal dps obviously.

    Will do hardly anything for PvP, rets problems go way beyond damage in pvp, but then at this point of the patch they have given up trying to balance pvp so w.e.
    I hate it when people are obviously overlooking issues:
    - First, exorcism will now lower the dmg you take by 10%. That's huge - DStance by warriors will also be only 10% now
    - Second, Flash of light buffed by itself. Also pvp power increasing your healing - FoLs are quite big on PTR
    - Third, hand of sacrifice removing CC is huge. You can remove 2 stuns every 90 sec - and I felt like I always died when my healer was CC'ed, now it will be much harder for enemies to kill me in that moment
    - Wings lowered to 2 mins
    - +5% to ALL DMG
    - Warriors shockwave and warbringer stun nerfed (very important for rets)

    Overall I would say that we look good for 5.2

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    Now Ret only needs:

    1) Divine Protection or Hand of Freedom remove Stun or Fear or Silence or Umbreakable Spirit Baseline - Ret is too vulnerable against any control

    2) Absolve goes to Hand os Salvation - is horrible to compete with Sacrifice

    3) Instant Repentance or 1 min Blind - Ret needs peels

    4) Knockback or Smoke or Solar or Grip - for RBGs

    Done.
    1) Ret doesn't need 3 trinkets, that would be so over powered.
    2) if used right, sacing your healer out of CC in turn makes you un CCable or lets your healer cleanse your other partner out of CC
    3) Repent cast is fine, ret peels are more use in correct Hand spells, tho it could be a bit better I guess
    4) reroll those classes if you want those. They don't want every spec having the same thing

  10. #10
    Instant repetance would be nice for arenas

  11. #11
    haha i remember in cata when they nerfed our Hammer of Wrath so it doesn't have a 80% crit chance, but they gave us an extra 5% Sword of Light buff to all of our damage to compensate for it. our sword of light back in cata was 20-25%. i miss 30k non crit TVs with cooldowns up ;_;

    i agree with crono about making the hand of sac cleanse go into hand of salvation. we understand that blizzard is trying to "free up our keys" by merging things into one spell, but here's why it's a terrible idea with hand of sac; currently hand of sacrifice on PTR has THREE things that you can do with it. 1) sac a teammate to break yourself out of polymorph effects. 2) sac a teammate to negate damage on them. 3) sac a teammate to cleanse him (with new absolve change). honestly it's three different things that don't really go well together and should definitely be seperated.

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,815
    Quote Originally Posted by LukashP View Post
    - +5% to ALL DMG
    Sword of Light is weapon damage, not all damage. It'll improve the damage of Crusader Strike, Templar's Verdict, Hammer of the Righteous, Divine Storm, Seals (but not Censure), and auto-attacks. While still quite a few attacks, that's not quite "all" damage--notably, it won't affect Exorcism, Judgment, Hammer of Wrath, Censure, or Harsh Word if you use that. :P

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Cronosmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Therm View Post
    1) Ret doesn't need 3 trinkets, that would be so over powered.
    2) if used right, sacing your healer out of CC in turn makes you un CCable or lets your healer cleanse your other partner out of CC
    3) Repent cast is fine, ret peels are more use in correct Hand spells, tho it could be a bit better I guess
    4) reroll those classes if you want those. They don't want every spec having the same thing
    The idea here is:

    1) On Divine Prot to remove something (or some effect) is the same as Icebound removing Stun, Berserking Rege removing Fear, Barkskin usable while stuned, Shamanistic Rage being way more powerfull and Cloak making immune to most CCs.

    2) The biggest point of Hand of Sacrifice is to have a defensive CD on a focused target. If your DPS friend is going down, you use Sac on him for instance. With Absolve we have the option to remove a CC from the healer so he gets your DPS firend UP. But then the Defensive CD utility from Sac is wasted. So this is only good if your healer is being focused and on CC. On Salv you can mitigate with a tool and dispel with another. Don't say this is OP, think about MASS DISPEL SPriest have.

    3) Ret peels are not realiable as Hands since the CDs are way to long and there is Forberance, dispelable, and Protection only mitigates physical. Nothing gives better peels than CC. Period. An Area Fear can save your life better than Divine Shield. At least Blind on 1 min CD makes sense. And makes the 5) I gonna include here.

    4) DK and Druid have Ursol/Gorefiends - and those are examples. Any really usefull area RBG utility does the trick. People take DK for damage and Grip, Moonkin and even Enhancement (from Symb) for Solar, Rogue for ninja+CC+smoke, SPriest Area Fear+Mass Dispel, Mage infinite CC, goes on... Ret brings nothing Holy does not bring and nothing that make a big diference on RBG like all those utilities. Any of these win a game if used right. Hands work pretty much as peels and dispelable weak ones - Hands are good for Holy/Healers that can pick someone up in 2GCDs but for Ret is just clunky. If everyone else brings something important, than Ret should too. In RBG people think "Mass dispel + Area fear or Burst + Hands" and there, nobody take Ret for RBG unless is a good friend and even then, the team is impaired.

    5) Quality of life and better design: Inquisition off GCD, Glyph of Divine Protection making it Mitigate Magic instead of Physical and Hammer of the Righeous not to need to have a target anymore. 3 simple things, no big change on balance and HUGE improvement on quality of life.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

  14. #14
    The Patient Prometheous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Sword of Light is weapon damage, not all damage. It'll improve the damage of Crusader Strike, Templar's Verdict, Hammer of the Righteous, Divine Storm, Seals (but not Censure), and auto-attacks. While still quite a few attacks, that's not quite "all" damage--notably, it won't affect Exorcism, Judgment, Hammer of Wrath, Censure, or Harsh Word if you use that. :P
    That's all we needed it to buff. TV next patch will be hitting like a truck after our 4pc, on top of the absurd amount of strength we'll be getting from trinket procs, this is a great improvement!

    <Revive> 1/7M - Stormreaver
    Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    I'd be more realistic and say it's POSSIBLE they could increase it to 15%, but they haven't really said or alluded to anything we don't already know.
    Yep... I called it. We might not need anymore than this for single target, but we'll see.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Sword of Light is weapon damage, not all damage. It'll improve the damage of Crusader Strike, Templar's Verdict, Hammer of the Righteous, Divine Storm, Seals (but not Censure), and auto-attacks. While still quite a few attacks, that's not quite "all" damage--notably, it won't affect Exorcism, Judgment, Hammer of Wrath, Censure, or Harsh Word if you use that. :P
    It's way better than nothing that's for damn sure - and they still aren't done with single-target DPS stuff and haven't even gotten to AOE stuff yet.

    Oh and this gives more of a bonus to Divine Purpose and Holy Avenger than Sanctified Wrath, so there's that.
    Last edited by Reith; 2013-02-26 at 07:41 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by LukashP View Post
    I hate it when people are obviously overlooking issues:
    - First, exorcism will now lower the dmg you take by 10%. That's huge - DStance by warriors will also be only 10% now
    - Second, Flash of light buffed by itself. Also pvp power increasing your healing - FoLs are quite big on PTR
    - Third, hand of sacrifice removing CC is huge. You can remove 2 stuns every 90 sec - and I felt like I always died when my healer was CC'ed, now it will be much harder for enemies to kill me in that moment
    - Wings lowered to 2 mins
    - +5% to ALL DMG
    - Warriors shockwave and warbringer stun nerfed (very important for rets)

    Overall I would say that we look good for 5.2
    And how does any of what you said help ret get a spot in RBGs? Its still pointless to bring a ret over a rogue/frost dk and even arms warrior, more so when a holy paladin is in the group.

    Why are you saying that the exorcism change is huge? Its not that big, its not like its something brand new, its the same thing as TV is now just being able to get it from ranged every 12-15 seconds.

    Then there's arena. Its a slight buff to arena, but we have gained no new utility, nothing that will open up new comps.
    As well as that it is still better just to train the ret, sure we might survive that little bit longer now but all it will do is delay the inevitable. Hand of sacrifice is also 2 mins? And it only dispels magic, not stuns..its far being from wotlk hand of freedom...On top of that if your using it to solely dispel, doesn't that sort of go away from its primary role? Thats band-aid fixes for you, why couldn't it be on a near-useless pvp spell, i.e. hand of salv? Because blizzard are intent on giving us something and taking something in return...

    The wings buff is nice, but if it helps us so much that ret becomes 'viable' it will be deemed 'OP' and therefore hotfixed nerfed so it isnt the right direction but its an easy fix to keep some people happy until they get to turn around and hotfix nerf it with the good old "wait till next patch to be compensated". As I was trying to say, damage isn't what will fix ret in PvP and no amount of band-aid fixes will help either.

  17. #17
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheous View Post
    That's all we needed it to buff. TV next patch will be hitting like a truck after our 4pc, on top of the absurd amount of strength we'll be getting from trinket procs, this is a great improvement!
    Yeah, for PvE at least it'll be a noticeable improvement since our biggest damage sources are Templar's Verdict and Hand of Light. I just don't want people thinking it'll be a straight-up 5% increase in damage. :P

  18. #18
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,953
    All Ret needs for PvP now is to have their version of Repent be instant, can even drop it to like 6 seconds if need be. Monks and Ferals have an instant CC on around that CD, and without it, Ret has shit CC and we all know CC = peels = win.
    I still really don't like the idea behind absolve. I wish they had given Ret something else. The CD is just plain too long and thrown on another useful ability. Ret is looking considerably better for next season, but I still don't think they will beat out UH, Rogues, or Monks for melee slots on comps. Maybe a select few comps a la vanguards cleave will come back. Would be interesting.

    PVE-wise? Good to know they haven't given up on tweaking the dps.

  19. #19
    Too much to ask for a link where GC said this?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    Now Ret only needs:

    1) Divine Protection or Hand of Freedom remove Stun or Fear or Silence or Umbreakable Spirit Baseline - Ret is too vulnerable against any control

    2) Absolve goes to Hand os Salvation - is horrible to compete with Sacrifice

    3) Instant Repentance or 1 min Blind - Ret needs peels

    4) Knockback or Smoke or Solar or Grip - for RBGs

    Done.
    And maybe give Ret Paladins the abilities of every other class in the game while you're at it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •