Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Leveling rogue but....

Wtf? I die very quickly, even with my defensive cd,s, it doesn't make any sense..

When I was leveling my mage, priest and shaman I was not nearly so vurnerable, recup helps but...not that much. Slice and dice is okay too, but still it doesn't bring rogue leveling up to the level of other classes while leveling.

I don't understand.

Take leeching poison? Would that help a lot?

I amm talking about 85-90 btw.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-02-26 at 11:15 PM.

Deleted
    Glyph of Deadly Momentum.

Otherwise, welcome to the suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    Glyph of Deadly Momentum.

Otherwise, welcome to the suck.
    Do rogues suck now?

Rogues don't inherently suck.

What level range are we talking? If you're <70, things should die inside a stun if you open with CS. Otherwise run Recup with Deadly Momentum, and Leeching Poison does help (it's the only useful leveling one anyway). Even >70, stuff should die so fast that the damage they do doesn't matter.

If you don't have heirlooms, you can't faceroll to 90 like you can with a lot of other classes. Use your CC, use your CDs, and utilize Stealth to choose favorable targets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Rogues don't inherently suck.

What level range are we talking? If you're <70, things should die inside a stun if you open with CS. Otherwise run Recup with Deadly Momentum, and Leeching Poison does help (it's the only useful leveling one anyway). Even >70, stuff should die so fast that the damage they do doesn't matter.

If you don't have heirlooms, you can't faceroll to 90 like you can with a lot of other classes. Use your CC, use your CDs, and utilize Stealth to choose favorable targets.
    I am talking 85-90.

Take glyph of deadly momentum and Leeching Poison. That should solve most of your problems leveling a rogue. The glyph to increase recuperate's heal can also help. Just don't try pulling more than one or two mobs at once without using cooldowns. Rogues aren't good at that until they get real gear ( = raid epics).

By the way, while its true you can't pull tons of mobs and expect to come out ahead as a rogue, if you spec Assassination you can kill mob after mob with zero downtime, which is still quite efficient.
    Last edited by Maelstrom51; 2013-02-26 at 11:28 PM.

Glyph of DM and Leeching don't solve most of the problems... they make it passable. You guys just never see warriors or dk's completely destroying everything while leveling in MoP?

And I had full BiS 85 raid gear for leveling... I pity the person trying to do it in questing stuff.

Aye I also had full hc bis gear in cata, went fine till 88 ish after that the horror....I'm leveling an ele shammy with some normal cata raid items and I'm 3-4 shotting stuff at 89.

Btw what spec are you leveling as?

Make sure you take the talent that reduces targets damage by 50% for 5-6 seconds after a stun. Open with cheap shot, they're dead before they're even doing full damage. Makes it particularly easy. Don't neglect your capacity for CC in dread waste, a lot of times I'd blind+sap a pair then just go through the trio one by one. Prep is a great thing to have as well,e ven if shadow step is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I am talking 85-90.
    I had no problems leveling 85 to 90. Of course, I was in nearly BiS with legendaries... but that just made it laughably easy til Dread Wastes; I had to pay attention there.

If you can, pick up the ~450 ilvl stuff that only requires level 80-85 (especially a MH dagger) and throw MoP enchants on it. They're pretty cheap on my realm and well worth it.

Leeching and DM will help a lot, as will using your CC, CDs, and Stealth intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Glyph of DM and Leeching don't solve most of the problems... they make it passable. You guys just never see warriors or dk's completely destroying everything while leveling in MoP?

And I had full BiS 85 raid gear for leveling... I pity the person trying to do it in questing stuff.
    I did it levelling from a fresh char, and whilst it was admittedly harder than any other classes I had levelled, it wasn't -that- bad.

OT:

Openers are a big factor when killing things, if you don't get an opener you're pretty much stuck doing nothing. I found Shadow Focus, Nerve Strike and Prey on the Weak to be the 'best' whilst levelling. If you get the opener, which is free, they take extra damage during the stun (assuming CS, of course), they do no damage to you, and when they come out of the stun they also deal less damage thanks to Nerve Strike. Though I levelled as Sub, so it was probably worse for me if I didn't get an opener, but the other specs are just far too slow in comparison imo!

As others have mentioned, Leeching Poison and DM Glyph will help a lot; just don't pull multiple mobs. If you can, get a friend (or your 90s, they're BoA) to take you around and look for the BoA daggers: Wodin's Mantid Shanker from Jade Forest or Wind-Reaver's Dagger of Quick Strikes from Dread Wastes. The latter will make a massive difference, and remember they aren't unique.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-02-27 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I did it levelling from a fresh char, and whilst it was admittedly harder than any other classes I had levelled, it wasn't -that- bad.
    Yeah thats is pretty much my definition for "passable" which is a far cry from "acceptable." Competitive end game pve and pvp aside, if they want to increase the rogue pop, they should look into making it as easy to level as pretty much everything else...

Glyph of Deadly Momentum is a must!

Choose your battles, control mobs with sap and blind, use some skill, take on 1-2 mobs at a time, don't over do your pulls, keep recuperate up, and you'll get through it.

Then log on to your DK Alt, run around aggroing EVERYthing in the entire quest zone, then burn the entire lot down in 5 seconds, leaving you with more health than you started with and finish all your quests for the area within about 10 seconds flat.... then go away and cry
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Yeah thats is pretty much my definition for "passable" which is a far cry from "acceptable." Competitive end game pve and pvp aside, if they want to increase the rogue pop, they should look into making it as easy to level as pretty much everything else...
    Or make it harder for other classes to level too. Personally, I enjoy having to think at least a little while leveling. The general level 90 population might have more opportunities to develop an understanding of their class and game mechanics if they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Then log on to your DK Alt, run around aggroing EVERYthing in the entire quest zone, then burn the entire lot down in 5 seconds, leaving you with more health than you started with and finish all your quests for the area within about 10 seconds flat.... then go away and cry
    Yeah... In addition to the fact that we take a ton of damage if you pull multiple and don't cc, we really have no effective way of damaging more than one. Yeah FoK is decent as assassination, but when I was leveling and I pulled 5 guys as assassination, my evasion would drop before they did and then I would get wasted.

We don't even have a decent way of fighting 2 guys (assuming actually fighting 2 and not you cc one of them) except BF (which is about to not count either) and you take too much damage tanking 2 mobs to BF outside of cds if you do it constantly for recup/leeching to heal. And no, rupturing both isn't really a good option either... its a small dps gain overall but its complete garbage to a real multi dot.

Or make it harder for other classes to level too. Personally, I enjoy having to think at least a little while leveling. The general level 90 population might have more opportunities to develop an understanding of their class and game mechanics if they did that.
    Thats a really good point. The real problem is the disparity between us and everything else. While I would agree with you that completely trivial murder everything at once leveling isn't a great idea, as long as it is all roughly comparable, I would call that acceptable.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2013-02-27 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Deadly momentum, and take Nerve Strike in the 2nd talent tier, and Prey on the Weak in the 5th. Makes it painless.
    Make sure to open with Cheap Shot.
    (This is coming from someone who leveled in LFR DS gear)

TBH I really do believe that I am a lot better player for having levelled a Rogue as my main character and my main since vanilla. You really do have to be aware of your surroundings, your own strength and your skills.

I'm bewildererd that there aren't even MORE herpederp players of some classes than there are. Pally I was soloing dungeons I was levelling through, and DK you don't even need to look at where you are or who's patrolling when you're levelling, you can just stand in the fire aggroing all and sundry with no hesitation and you normally come out from it fine.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy greens from the first zone vendor. Go combat. Take leeching poison. Remember to shiv, shiv, SHIV! Abuse your CDs. Cloak, evasion, feint. If shit's getting too rough cloak and vanish then try a different tactic.

You'll be nearly unstoppable so long as you play smart. Pandaland zones are all about learning mechanics etc. and can be unforgivable until you're used to them. Interrupt casting and move out of AoE/cleaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't get any better at 90. With 485 ilvl I still get raped by mantids while doing SP dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    It doesn't get any better at 90. With 485 ilvl I still get raped by mantids while doing SP dailies.
    I did dailies fine the first day of the xpac at ~440 ilvl. Sounds like you're doing something wrong.