Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What do you expect of the Character Model Revamp?

Simple topic. We know they're coming, I even have a vague notion they'll be previewed around November time for deployment in patch 6.0.

This is likely the one and only time Blizzard will be updating our character models and the process of character creation. So how do we judge it's success?

Do they construct new models with upped polygon counts and call it a day? By WoW standards a vast improvement but compared to the character creation tools other games in the genre have will it impress us especially when placed next to them?

Will get the same character creation process as before, just with fancier graphics? Or should we expect better. Selecting our own height, reshaping the heads of our characters, eye size, ear angle. Is this stuff even doable or is WoW's engine not capable of it?
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2013-02-27 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    better be able to make boobs bigger....a lot bigger

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    Yup this is the feature the fans and community wants.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher polgon count and texures. Keep the same animations but make them feel more fluid to match the higher polygon count.

I don't think this is the only revamp of char models we will see, in time they will start to look outdated again, particularly BC models.

I'm expecting more or less just fancier graphics, more fluid movements, more animations in general(particularly facial movement such as the pandaren have) more choices of face, hair, etc. but I hope we don't go into the whole height choice and such.. having freakishly tall tauren and gnomes shorter than they already are? no thanks..

IMO some of the char models we're seeing now are what we should expect (the female troll in the council fight of ToT looks very much like a updated current female troll model). I am hoping for more detailed customization though... I hate when choosing hair changes things other than hair, or say, you can't mix-match earrings, and such.. as long as they make sure you can't be a stupidly short gnome with bug eyes and giant ears.. so many other games fair at allowing slight modifications and let people overdo it and look ridiculous

I expect the same thing as Roggles, really... Only making them more 'fluid to match the higher polygon count' isn't going to work as such; a model can have millions of polies and still be a statue.
    So yeah; higher poly-count, more 'bones;' animated moving parts. Both for the face as well as the body.

We're not going to get a slider-system, I'm afraid. Even though it'd be technically possible to implement, it'd mean a full rework of all the races, from scratch. I don't think they're going to rework the Pandaran, for instance... I think they're going to use the Pandaran as a guideline in poly-count and bones.

I just want them to make male trolls look better, and perhaps a choice for either the skinny bodytype, or the brute forest troll type. Would racechange to a brute troll monk instantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Troll beards. Everything else is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    All models to be on par with Cata/MoP models. That's about it.

And bigger boobs.
    Putin khuliyo

What I want is a reworking of the models. More polygons, more animated parts, better animations, more features and more options on how to shape them, and, for goodness sake better designs: no more bodybuilders for humans, or Quasimodos for orcs, it's so stupid. In general, the best, most thorough model shaping tool they can come up with. World of WarCraft is the most succesful mmorpg ever. May as well have some features that stand up to that success.

What I expect is perhaps, a bit better version of how pandaren are compared to other races. I think that they are too hesitant to change things much. And in general, I can''t be hyped much about what they will do. It has been a long time since they did anything excitingly different. Most of the times there is a lot of hype and the end result is just... well decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    would be nice if they added preset body sliders like they did in Skyrim (of course not to the same exact detail, but a few select options would be nice, but not as atrocious as the SWTOR options.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    They won't change them much. Same style, same feel, higher textures and more polygons. They won't make them prettier than new NPCs such as Thrall and the dragon aspects.

Butt sliders like in Age of Conan!

Seriously though, just better textures, maybe more polygons, and better body proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    That was so Lara Croft circa 1996. The kids want realistic breast physics these days; no more egregious beach balls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Butt sliders like in Age of Conan!

Seriously though, just better textures, maybe more polygons, and better body proportions.
    Age of Conan has butt sliders?

Age of conan just went on steam right?

*goes to download*

A gigantic amount of butthurt is what I expect from it. No matter how awesome they make the new models players have been staring at the ones they have now for years. There'll no doubt be some people whining about the change.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well since my hunter main won't be getting an update, I'll go with my draenei shaman alt. I want to see combat animations to be as distinctive and fluid as Pandaren animations are.

And I want cloaks to not look bad on Draenei...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Age of Conan has butt sliders?
    Always did!

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    And I want cloaks to not look bad on Draenei...
    That'd be nice wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Higher polgon count and texures. Keep the same animations but make them feel more fluid to match the higher polygon count.
    Pretty much this. It really won't take much more than this to really make some of the models really refined, every single vanilla race in particular needs it. I'm personally not expecting much in the way of more features to customize but I could be wrong.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesker View Post
    A gigantic amount of butthurt is what I expect from it. No matter how awesome they make the new models players have been staring at the ones they have now for years. There'll no doubt be some people whining about the change.
    Have I mentioned yet how much I love your avatar?

And yes, I also expect butthurt, QQ, and trolls.

Hell, I'll bet you when they're revealed at Blizzcon (calling it now) someone makes a thread about "old models were better" the same time someone makes a "omg they just rehashed our current models. lame" thread.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Always did!

That'd be nice wouldn't it?
    Yeah, especially on females. The one race I play with cloaks off.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2013-02-27 at 05:53 AM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)