Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Rare Spawn Sharing and Enemy Faction

Ok, so I tried to make this thread when this feature was announced and it got closed.

Now it's been a couple days, 8 pages later in the other thread about NPC sharing and the topic I want to discuss hasn't been addressed.

Rather than derail the other thread I am making this one and hopefully mods will see that the topic is different from the other thread.

So according to the post on Rare spawn sharing, it works with the enemy faction. This in itself is not a big deal, what is bothering me is that enemy players can still get credit after dropping combat. Imagine this scenario: You are fighting a rare spawn on a pvp server, an enemy flies down and 'tags' your spawn, you instantly turn your attention to the enemy player and kill him. Then you kill the rare spawn, you get loot and if I am understanding this correctly, so does that player that you just killed.

This doesn't sit right with me. I'm fine with my own faction getting credit but why should the enemy get credit even if I kill him?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare you create a new...oh. heh. Kidding.

It does say enemy faction but I wonder if that won't apply if you're flagged (thus on a PvP server), and two, whether or not the other player is dead. Plus, on a PvP server I would expect the enemy would likely try to kill you instead of attacking the mob anyway.

I also wonder what happens if people "tag" it - and then just goes to afk/watch you fight an even tougher mob then? Sometimes I think Blizzard forgets to think about the griefing-aspects of new features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How dare you create a new...oh. heh. Kidding.

It does say enemy faction but I wonder if that won't apply if you're flagged (thus on a PvP server), and two, whether or not the other player is dead. Plus, on a PvP server I would expect the enemy would likely try to kill you instead of attacking the mob anyway.
    Presumably they would do both, since attacking the mob will increase its health by 50%, making it much more likely to be able to kill the person they're attacking.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    I also wonder what happens if people "tag" it - and then just goes to afk/watch you fight an even tougher mob then? Sometimes I think Blizzard forgets to think about the griefing-aspects of new features.
    Yea there is a reason other mmos with shared loot doesn't have dynamic healthbars. At least it's only rares or it could get ugly fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    More health doesn't make it stronger. Just makes the battle longer. I can, with my DK, kill a mob with 800m health if the damage it deals isn't enough to take me down. The behemoth in the Vale is an example. Some 10 times the regular mobs but easily killed.

More health doesn't make it stronger. Just makes the battle longer. I can, with my DK, kill a mob with 800m health if the damage it deals isn't enough to take me down. The behemoth in the Vale is an example. Some 10 times the regular mobs but easily killed.
    True about strength - but still tougher and taking longer to kill. Personally I'd still be somewhat annoyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I read "you still get loot even if combat has dropped" I think of the loot mechanics from Sha. So as long as you are "eligible" for the kill (i.e you 'tagged' the rare) you would still get loot.

Now take this with a grain of salt, I haven't done any testing on the PTR. I am only going by what little info was given. So if someone could shed some light on this issue I would be much obliged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    When I read "you still get loot even if combat has dropped" I think of the loot mechanics from Sha. So as long as you are "eligible" for the kill (i.e you 'tagged' the rare) you would still get loot.

Now take this with a grain of salt, I haven't done any testing on the PTR. I am only going by what little info was given. So if someone could shed some light on this issue I would be much obliged.
    it does say that so it is likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but the longer it takes you to kill it, the more likely you are to be killed by it. Most of the rares in this expansion have life-threatening abilities (some of which are one-shot), and I'm quite sure that these will be no exception. Yes, they're avoidable, but the more times you have to avoid it, the more chances you have to fail (especially when trying to fight another player simultaneously).

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Well, 5.2 rares have 10 mil HP baseline. Even without life-threatening abilities, it is very tedious to kill such mob (especially as tank or healer). And as some people do (me as well), everything what concerns shared tags during questing - I just hit/dot it once to get credit and keep doing other dailies' objectives. Now imagine all people would do same with rares, health pool would quickly go out of hand (and imho 10 mil HP is already too out of hand health pool).

Idea is nice, but adding health on top of already obscene health pool is not really necessary. Other player is supposed to help kill mobs, not buff mobs' HP to even more obscene numbers. Oh and imagine other tanks/healers joining you to "help".

Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    Was my first concern as well, that someone would use throwing weapon from max range then go sit in a bush afk. Luckily this level of d*ck is pretty rare even in WoW, but the possibility to abuse the system is there.

One solution I guess would be to give all rares a sort of AFK-seeking laser ability when more than 1 player is on the credit list, something he would use to evaporate anyone who is doing very low or no damage to him over a period of 10s or so (so a warrior can't keep his tag by spamming Throw for example), clearing the loot credit and extra hp on the rare for that person only. Could also be used to prevent people tag-AFKing on world bosses, which will be MUCH more common.
    Last edited by Calamari; 2013-02-26 at 11:39 PM.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The griefing aspect of this feature is discussed in another thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...d-to-high-hell

Let's try to stick to discussing the feature in relation to enemy players.