Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stem Cells - A thing of the past?

Haven't heard any news of this in a while. Why did people give up hope on it? Did it not just turn out the way people wanted it to?

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Haven't heard any news of this in a while. Why did people give up hope on it? Did it not just turn out the way people wanted it to?
    Why do you think anyone gave up on it because your attention span is tiny?

10+ Year Old Account
    Religious groups working against it.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/sections/stem_cell/

You see new stem cell articles at least thrice a week or so if you keep your eyes open enough.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Just because things are no longer in the mainstream media doesn't mean they've died out. Mainstream media reports on things that get them the greatest amount of viewers. That happens to not be stem cell research or controversy at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I swear I just read somewhere the other day they started printing stem cells.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's plenty of stem cell stuff going on if you read science and medical journals.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I've been seeing a lot of developments (hah!) around stem cell applications.

The "Tabloids" have found other things to denounce in the meantime.

Go find a science or medicine blog if you're interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/sections/stem_cell/

You see new stem cell articles at least thrice a week or so if you keep your eyes open enough.
    Thrice? Who even says that anymore....

OT: Just because you haven't see it does not mean it isn't around.
    I commonly see articles about stem cell research.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Thrice? Who even says that anymore....
    Too many words don't get said.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hear they've been using them to grow organs from a "ghost" base. Neat stuff.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Too many words don't get said.
    Slattern and Trollop and Uncouth need to be said more.

Still an active field of research:

http://www.stemcellaction.org/conten...-cell-research

Stem cells and the learnings we derive from them will eventually allow us to solve almost any medical issue you can imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Got a nerd chuckle from this one: if stem cells were a thing of the past we'd all be dead.

Oh, you mean the technological applications of stem cells? Nope they're very much still a thing, there's just nothing left for the mainstream media to say about them at the moment. The religious right largely lost interest when they stopped focusing on fetal cells and the psuedo-intellectual left got bored when they no longer had to defend it and found out that it would take more than 4 days to perfect. Just like Syria is suddenly Malibu, news goes in cycles and abandons a story as soon as people stop paying attention/caring. Scientific journals, of course, are as alive as ever with stem cell articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I swear I just read somewhere the other day they started printing stem cells.
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/06/fi...an-stem-cells/

We are still in the early days, but we are on the brink of the next major advancement in human technology. Once the technology begins to be fully developed its ramifications for our society will be extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Someone's reading too much GRRM...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Quagswagging
    Noun – “The action of shaking to and fro” – This can also be used in verb form, to quagswag, and is pronounced like “kwag swag.” It could definitely work as the name for a new type of dance, or possibly serve as an alternate way to describe a seizure.

The 1800s had a head start on us I guess.

Someone's reading too much GRRM...
    Nope, if I want to read re-imagined european history I'll read Instrumentalities of the Night by Cook, thanks :P

Once a conservative black man was elected to the White House, stem cells were no longer one of the most controversial things for the wingnuts to latch onto. Media coverage dried up accordingly.

Deleted
    How can someone on the internet ask this question!?

At what point is coming to MMO champ, logging in, creating a title, posting this thread and then waiting for people to reply, easier than going to Google and typing in 'Stem Cells' (either into the normal search or under the news section)?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I honestly can't fathom the steps or thinking that made this the best option to get an answer....