Thread: A Few Queries

  1. #1

    A Few Queries

    Hi all

    A couple of quick questions I wanted some answers to:

    1) Is it ever viable to multi-dot FS in any encounter this tier? I've read different opinions on the subject but I am unsure as to which one is actually the definitively correct answer. I was - for example - multi-dotting on Protectors and I do have the 4 set, but I've heard that even though it will proc more LvB's, it is still a dps loss. Can anyone confirm please? I know come 5.2 the idea of multi-dotting is more viable due to the changes.

    2) Are there any encounters where PE is an "out and out" winner? I have always used EB - partially because I like having an additional spell to hard-cast, makes the rotation more "fun" - and never really touched PE but I - again - have heard different opinions on the subject, and am not quite sure if it's best to stick with EB or change it up with PE. Again, I know come 5.2 that PE is looking the strongest of that tier (or was...just read recently that it might now possibly be UE?). If PE is the better choice, can anyone tell me what abilities should be used? Admittedly, I've done very little with it and I haven't had any luck finding info. on exactly how to use it (except that we shouldn't use empower unless there aren't any adds up for the FE to hit as per Endus/Bink guide etc).

    3) Are there any encounters where EQ should be used? Again, per the guide it says using it on 5+ targets is comparable to using CL. However, I read before that, for example, on Windlord its better to just spam CL than use EQ + CL. Is that still the case or have I misunderstood?

    The help is much appreciated; thanks.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMusic View Post
    Hi all

    A couple of quick questions I wanted some answers to:

    1) Is it ever viable to multi-dot FS in any encounter this tier? I've read different opinions on the subject but I am unsure as to which one is actually the definitively correct answer. I was - for example - multi-dotting on Protectors and I do have the 4 set, but I've heard that even though it will proc more LvB's, it is still a dps loss. Can anyone confirm please? I know come 5.2 the idea of multi-dotting is more viable due to the changes.
    The theorycrafter answer given many times is no, its not viable. As with anything though, it depends on the situation. Multidotting on a normal fight, over time, would result in a DPS loss as you are losing a GCD which could be used for a EB, LB, ES which would instantly give you additional damage. On fights though where you have the opportunity to do more damage to a boss, its definitley an argument that multidotting can help, especially if ascendance is not ready for that stage.

    Example of where this can be useful is Wind Lord Mel'karak's 'Recklessness' buff/debuff which allows him to take significantly more damage when he has this. But in general, like the theorycrafters say, no, its a dps loss.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheMusic View Post
    2) Are there any encounters where PE is an "out and out" winner? I have always used EB - partially because I like having an additional spell to hard-cast, makes the rotation more "fun" - and never really touched PE but I - again - have heard different opinions on the subject, and am not quite sure if it's best to stick with EB or change it up with PE. Again, I know come 5.2 that PE is looking the strongest of that tier (or was...just read recently that it might now possibly be UE?). If PE is the better choice, can anyone tell me what abilities should be used? Admittedly, I've done very little with it and I haven't had any luck finding info. on exactly how to use it (except that we shouldn't use empower unless there aren't any adds up for the FE to hit as per Endus/Bink guide etc).
    Yes of course, PE excels at fights where you can get more haste. Heroic Sha for example has a nice raidwide haste buff which really does boost the effectivness of this talent. A lot of choosing between these is really down to playstyle. On paper, EB > PE, but depending how you use your shaman on each fight will really determine which you should use. To use the tired phase, 'sim it and see'.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheMusic View Post
    3) Are there any encounters where EQ should be used? Again, per the guide it says using it on 5+ targets is comparable to using CL. However, I read before that, for example, on Windlord its better to just spam CL than use EQ + CL. Is that still the case or have I misunderstood?

    The help is much appreciated; thanks.
    On paper, EQ + CL looks king but in practice, i personally, dont find any benefit to bothering with EQ. At my mastery levels, it feels like a big dps loss to do this. Maybe its latency of button pressing but CL spam definitley feels like a more fluid dps constant.

  3. #3
    2) currently (5.1), PE is good on any boss that have a "burst phase" (potentially glyphed) or where there is lot of aoe involved. Basically on single target "no burst phase" bosses, elemental explosion is better, on "burst boss" (mainly : hc Meljarak, hc Unsok with the "burst in p1 to 20%" strat), PE is (way) better.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies :-)

  5. #5
    Follow up; can anyone explain how best to use PE? What abilities and when? As stated, I've done very little with it and I'm sure how best to use them. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Well if the boss has a phase where he takes increased damage, I'd say pop it then. Otherwise the FE pulls around 44k dps, so just throw him out on the pull and whenver he's off CD. Earth Elemental's damage kinda sucks, but it's an earth totem, so I guess every little bit helps?

  7. #7
    Fire elemental automatically scale with your procs, so there's no point trying to wait for specific "procs" to use it.

    Try to time it so that at least one other ascendance will happen while elemental totem is up, and use int potion there.

    For exemple if you do not glyph it, on a 7mn fight, a "pretty good" way of using it would be :
    pull : ascendance+fire elem
    3mn : ascendance again
    5mn40sec (wait ~40sec) : fire elemental
    6mn :ascendance + potion (that will benefit the elemental too)

    It require quite a bit of trial and error on most fight to see when best to use it, as you should make sure he'll be able to hit his target for its full duration (if you have to switch target, it's usually best to NOT put the pet on "assist" stance, and force him to stick to its target). Also fire elemental has a pretty good aoe, so if there's any adds at some point in the fight tell him to hit them (and he'll automatically use his aoe normally). Also if you screw up and for some reason PET can't hit anything but you still can (ie if dragon goes in "air phase" or if boss can only be hitted from range), then you can use it's 4rth spell to get a 5% dps boost, but in most cases you won't ever want to use this ability.

    Fun weird fact : if you drop it on lei shi and then she hides, you can ask him to move to where lei shi hide (once you found her) and manually clic on fire elemental's aoe ability to hit it once more !

  8. #8
    the shaman elementals just know where lei shi is, if you move yourself to where she is they will auto attack her without you having to do anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •