Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Try limit boss fights.

I'm sitting here thinking about try limit boss fights. Why are they in the game? It seems like such a stupid concept to me. I heard the HC boss in the new raid is going to have a try limit. Anyone care to enlighten me on some pros?

The boss isn't to be considered part of normal progression. The idea behind it is that the boss will be very difficult, and limiting attempts forces the first kill to be more about who actually played better or came up with the superior strategy, rather than who bombed attempts at it until it died.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    The boss isn't to be considered part of normal progression. The idea behind it is that the boss will be very difficult, and limiting attempts forces the first kill to be more about who actually played better or came up with the superior strategy, rather than who bombed attempts at it until it died.
    Seems like the guild with the most alts will win. No one is going to learn the strategies with their main characters. They are just going to throw alts at the boss until they know it. Unless the try limit is account wide it still seems stupid.

Not completly correct, while ra-den is of course supposed to be very difficult a blue post stated that it wont be as difficult as lei shen. its supposed to be a different kind of boss then all the others in the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    Seems like the guild with the most alts will win. No one is going to learn the strategies with their main characters. They are just going to throw alts at the boss until they know it. Unless the try limit is account wide it still seems stupid.
    Pretty sure it was GC that commented on that worry. The fight is intended to be ridiculously difficult, so alts won't really be an option. I can't be asked to find the actual blue post, so dig around a little bit if you want the actual quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Pretty sure it was GC that commented on that worry. The fight is intended to be ridiculously difficult, so alts won't really be an option. I can't be asked to find the actual blue post, so dig around a little bit if you want the actual quote.
    Actually he said the fight would be easier than Lei Shen
    The problem is that you have to beat every boss on heroic including Lei Shen before Ra-Den's room will open, so you need alts with 100% hc completion

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a heroic only boss, in which you have to have beaten every other boss in the raid on heroic; IE Alting it up won't work unless you are going to devote time gearing up your alts, rather then just throw yourself into the fight. They will be more careful however, as a result. It's a skill test, not a endurance

Deleted
    well i dont mind if people try a boss 500 times, its not my problem, BUT that that can be my problem, its when a fight is 25 min +
    bloddy damn anoying to wipe ay 12% and then have to start over.. that is just a joke imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    If they guild has enough alts that are geared for whats supposed to be the hardest boss of the tier, then by all means, let them. They obviously want it more than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeeh View Post
    If they guild has enough alts that are geared for whats supposed to be the hardest boss of the tier, then by all means, let them. They obviously want it more than everyone else.
    Not really what I'd call a pro though, seems like more of a con. It's still then about who throws more alts at it, only you have to throw the alts through even more before hand.

I'm not sure what this limited attempts actually solves.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I don't see any pros except that it will slow down progress for some players. Pro for Blizzard I guess.

If you want to see who actually played 'better' you can just as well count the amount of tries. WF kills have never been about that and Blizzard is not implementing limited tries for this reason.

And as much as people think it is unlikely top guilds will throw alts at this boss they will probably do it anyway. Limited attempts were a failure because of this. It didn't do what Blizzard wanted it to do, slow players down.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-02-27 at 02:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is to try to do better each time with a more perfect strategy instead of just smashing yourself against the boss until it dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    well i dont mind if people try a boss 500 times, its not my problem, BUT that that can be my problem, its when a fight is 25 min +
    bloddy damn anoying to wipe ay 12% and then have to start over.. that is just a joke imo..
    Then raiding is not for you.

Sad thing is, the top guilds are going to make alts go through this boss, despite what the devs may think. Their alts are already geared up to the point where they could do heroic content in T15. Maybe they won't be in there doing Ra'den on the first week of heroics, but by week 2 of heroics? Probably.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Sad thing is, the top guilds are going to make alts go through this boss, despite what the devs may think. Their alts are already geared up to the point where they could do heroic content in T15. Maybe they won't be in there doing Ra'den on the first week of heroics, but by week 2 of heroics? Probably.
    Dear god we must STOP this travesty!!! Quick limit everyone to only one toon at max level because some 0.1% of the playerbase and what they do in insane number of hours dedicated will DESTROY my game experience without every being exposed to them!!!

To me that attitude is the same as people who go 'content lockouts are a good thing because they stop the hardcore doing 50 hours a week and spam gearing up'... so? As if that stuff would actually really affect you >.<

Maybe I'm missing something but even if these top guilds did get extra tries with alts... what does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigoki View Post
    Then raiding is not for you.
    You're going to tell me that a single boss taking 25 minutes to kill isn't excessive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeshmi View Post
    Dear god we must STOP this travesty!!! Quick limit everyone to only one toon at max level because some 0.1% of the playerbase and what they do in insane number of hours dedicated will DESTROY my game experience without every being exposed to them!!!

To me that attitude is the same as people who go 'content lockouts are a good thing because they stop the hardcore doing 50 hours a week and spam gearing up'... so? As if that stuff would actually really affect you >.<

Maybe I'm missing something but even if these top guilds did get extra tries with alts... what does it matter?
    Calm down? I was just stating a fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Actually he said the fight would be easier than Lei Shen
    The problem is that you have to beat every boss on heroic including Lei Shen before Ra-Den's room will open, so you need alts with 100% hc completion
    Exactly. But getting alts that geared won't possibly happen because that's a HUGE time investment. Gearing your alts to that point while progressing with your mains isn't really an option, not even for most top guilds since they will still invest some absurd hours into those previous bosses. Until you have those alts ready for a full hc clear while still clearing on your mains will probably cripple the time you can spend with your mains too much that it won't be worth it. Those to whome the limit on attempts matters will invest that extra time into strategies and wipe analysis rather than catching up with their alts.

I don't really get why people don't think the top guilds don't have alts that are geared almost (if not identically) the same as their mains. The guilds who bosses like this are aimed at aren't the ones who take 4-5 days to do clears and then only have 2-3 days to try clearing the same content on their alts.

I do personally wish they could make the limits account-wide though. Now THAT would be a good idea.

their alts are already geared up with what on live to be able to do heroic t15 content when it releases?

There are already numerous threads about this, pages long. There didnt need to be another one thats extra insipid ontop of that.

It is a limited attempt heroic-only BONUS boss. An extra, exceptionally difficult, heroic boss that few of the population will be able to reach. And it in NO WAY limits progress, because. it. is. an. extra. boss.

Counters against the "they'll just throw alts at it" have already been posted.