Poll: Thoughts on minimum wage increase

Thread: US minimum wage

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    But it is a taboo, nobody likes to be that odd man out.
    When I have bad service I don't tip. Its not taboo, its the way its supposed to be.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Servers and people who rely on tips will always, ALWAYS get minimum wage if they don't get enough in tips.
    And I'm sure enforcement of that is very vigorous, especially in at-will-firing states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Well tiping is not mandatory. If you are ashamed to be an american you can leave you know.
    Tipping is mandatory in some establishments if your party is greater than (for example) 6 people. More than that, though, it's an established custom and expected, and custom is stronger than law in many ways.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Tipping is mandatory in some establishments if your party is greater than (for example) 6 people. More than that, though, it's an established custom and expected, and custom is stronger than law in many ways.
    I've heard you can argue against the mandatory gratuity, but usually its printed somewhere so you know its coming before you get the bill.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Mandatory tipping needs to be stopped so workers can get a fair consistent wage. It's horrendous the wages some servers/delivery workers get.
    That is why praxis in alot of places are to have it included in the price. Restaurant employees for example have it bad enough as it is with odd working hours and minimum wage and if they are lucky not to have minimum wage their pay still suck in comparison to what they do and at what hours.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Why not simply raise the minimum wage to 30$/h? So everyone would be rich.
    Oh wait, you can't just legislate wealth into an economy...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard good arguments in favor of minimum wage laws, and I've heard good arguments against it. I really can't figure out where I stand on the issue.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Well tiping is not mandatory. If you are ashamed to be an american you can leave you know.
    Agree with us or git out! Way to reinforce the stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Agree with us or git out! Way to reinforce the stereotype.
    If you are ashamed of the place you lived would you live there?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I've heard good arguments in favor of minimum wage laws, and I've heard good arguments against it. I really can't figure out where I stand on the issue.
    Talk so some cab drivers or restaurant employees etc on minimum wage and see if you feel they need and deserve more pay for their labour.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    If you are ashamed of the place you lived would you live there?
    I would work to fix it, as I have done on a number of subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would work to fix it, as I have done on a number of subjects.
    At least you would do something about it.

I do not think tipping is mandatory, and the times I don't tip because of bad service, I usually write a short note why.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

We talked about this in class, if we raised it to $9 it would create about 5-10% unemployment, more people want to work for more money so boom more surplus of workers for limited spots = unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    We talked about this in class, if we raised it to $9 it would create about 5-10% unemployment, more people want to work for more money so boom more surplus of workers for limited spots = unemployment
    That is an over simplification of a price floor.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    well since im the 1 person that thinks it should be something else i would say 8$ is good its a decent amount higher but not so much so that it will make a big difference in the employers pocket and discourage him from future hireing
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Mandatory tipping needs to be stopped so workers can get a fair consistent wage. It's horrendous the wages some servers/delivery workers get.

Servers are guaranteed minimum wage if their wage + tips does not reach min wage level.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Why even add the tipping wage? Way to derail your thread OP. Servers and people who rely on tips will always, ALWAYS get minimum wage if they don't get enough in tips. That 2.13 is an arbitrary number and a red herring in a lot of cases.

Anyways, raising the minimum wage is stupid. Take a small business owner and tell him hey, those 15 people you employ? Well, their wages are going up by 20%, what are you going to do? (The answer is cut his x amount of his employees). So it doesn't really solve anything.
    If an employer needs X people to do the job he will keep X people to do the job even if he has to pay them a bit more. It's a myth that higher minimum wages means jobs will be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    If an employer needs X people to do the job he will keep X people to do the job even if he has to pay them a bit more. It's a myth that higher minimum wages means jobs will be cut.
    yes but that can lead to inflation because they probably want to make the same amount of profits and if the minimum wages goes up for everybody and they are going to hire the same amount of workers then prices will go up.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    if we raised it to $9 it would create about 5-10% unemployment
    Pure fiction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Talk so some cab drivers or restaurant employees etc on minimum wage and see if you feel they need and deserve more pay for their labour.
    Talk to those unemployed who can't get a job because their marginal productivity is below minimum wage.
    What is seen and unseen...