Thread: Full ATX Case

Full ATX Case

So I am finishing a build for my new pc. I had a mid-tower ATX case previously, and I have decided I want to go with a full size ATX tower. The towers I am currently looking at are:

Silverstone RAVEN Series RV03B-WA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163185

Coolermaster HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119239

and per a friend's recommendation

Rosewill Thor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147053

I want something I can setup my raid 5 (3x 3TB drives, possibly more in the future). I like being able to swap hard-drives fairly easily and so the tool-less Coolermaster seems very attractive, while still maintaining decent airflow. I really like the Silverstone design especially with having the IO/PCIe ports sticking out the top (it seems like the GPU would vent out the back a LOT better then how most case designs have the GPU fans facing towards the PSU exhaust). But I was not sure about the HDD slots being as easy to mount as they appear to mount to the opposite side of the case behind the motherboard tray. My friend has the Rosewill Thor and she is quite happy with it. The big fans seem like they would provide decent airflow, however it didn't appear as though all the air intakes had proper dust filters which I was not super excited about (and its a bit cheaper).

Anyway I was curious what people's thoughts were, I am not particularly set on any of these models yet, and my budget is under $200.

Thanks in advance!

Fractal Design Define XL R2 http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...ory=2&prod=111

Can find it from www.ncix.com not on newegg yet.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The case I'm using, and am about to recommend, is a bit flashier than the silverstone. But considering the other two you linked, I don't think this is a problem?

In any case(pun intended), I've been using the following case for a few weeks: the Thermaltake Chaser Mk I.

The 3.5" drive bays (6 in total) are really conveniently located and can be swapped tool-less. There's also a little plastic case that you can use to mount a 2.5" disk in one of those bays. (Sadly, this does require tools.)

I have my PSU mounted fan-down, as there's a little grill underneath the psu mounting spot that will allow it to draw in fresh air. With a dust filter that's very easy to remove (granted, you need some room behind the tower to pull it out). So the gpu won't be drawing air straight from the psu fan.

On the top there's a few handy I/O ports. Two USB, two USB3.0 (mounted on mobo, not taking a port on the back), e-SATA and to top it all off: A spot to mount a 3.5" (or smaller) sata drive. You just kind of... stick it into the top, and windows sees it as a removeable drive. So, no reboots.

The one downside on the case in my opinion is that the fans that go with it might not be strong enough. With the dust filters installed, the intake fan in the front doesn't seem to take in a massive amount of air. Might be a good idea to replace some of the case fans (there's 3 200mm ones in it. Intake front, exhaust back and exhaust top-side) with more efficient ones. There's also room for a few more fans in the top, the bottom (in front of psu) and in the side.

Oh, and this might not interest you in the slightest, but: There's RBG leds in the fans, with a nifty button on the top to change the leds. Turn them off or have em: Solid red, solid green, solid blue, and two flashing modes that use all colors randomly. Lastly, there's two buttons for the fans. Low, and high. Can't exactly alter the RPM manually, but still nice to turn it down when not gaming.

--

Just my suggestion. I don't have any experience with the cases you linked, so I can't really comment on those.

Edit. It's 15% off with an additional 10$ rebate going today.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-02-28 at 10:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Fractal Define XL R2 from NCIX.

Nice option (as mentioned by Vesse)

Also, you can get hot swap bays that are made specifically for the Silverstone cases... They are quite easy to use as well.

You do not necessarily need to get a full tower, just one that is easier to work in. Most mid towers actually do have the ability to hold plenty of drives. Some are just a lot easier to work with than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Fractal Design Define XL R2 http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...ory=2&prod=111

Can find it from www.ncix.com not on newegg yet.
    I like that case it's clean (like my bitfenix XL) on the outside my only gripe about it (small gripe) is the white pieces on the inside but it's minor.

I dunno why, but I really like the White CoolerMaster Storm Stryker for full ATX right now. The black and red Storm Trooper version is pretty nice too.

Why don't you join the Silverstone Fortress FT02 club?

Oh noticed that it is a bit outside of your budget, but you do have the Silverstone Raven RV02 which is built on the same frame.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-28 at 11:56 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Why don't you join the Silverstone Fortress FT02 club?

Oh noticed that it is a bit outside of your budget, but you do have the Silverstone Raven RV02 which is built on the same frame.
    Trying to figure out why FT02 is $100 more expensive, but can't quite get it... Ok, Fortress looks better, has sound dampening and the extra 2.5" bay at the top, but is that all there is to it, or am I missing something?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Trying to figure out why FT02 is $100 more expensive, but can't quite get it... Ok, Fortress looks better, has sound dampening and the extra 2.5" bay at the top, but is that all there is to it, or am I missing something?
    It is almost full aluminum while the Raven has a bunch of plastic parts.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the Raven 02... Love it.

I do wish I had gotten the FT-02 though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    It is almost full aluminum while the Raven has a bunch of plastic parts.
    Having a high quality made case is as important, as the parts that go in it, its for this reason alone I refuse to use any case which is made from plastic parts. I got my hands on a Lian Li V2000 in early 2009 and have never had any issues with parts breaking off, or getting damaged like I have seen with so many of my friends cases which cost a similar amount but had a lot of plastic parts.

if your after a case which will last you a good couple of years, then have a look at what it is built of and not just how it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the Fotress2 looking at the reviews for a case that is so expensive why does it not have tool-less screws on the hard drives and another thing I been seeing in the reviews is they use cheap paint on the case. Minor cons but for a case that is over 250$ I think I would want something with no cons though that's not going to happen. Fans being 181 MM is so weird shit as well why can't they just make them 180MM or something more standard. If you going to spend that much money on a case and want something your know is going to be the best quality get a Lian-Li.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112343 something like this

I hate the raven.... It's extremely loud and there is virtually no fans to replace the 180mms in the bottom. Smart concept, but fan noise drags it down imo.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    On the Fotress2 looking at the reviews for a case that is so expensive why does it not have tool-less screws on the hard drives and another thing I been seeing in the reviews is they use cheap paint on the case. Minor cons but for a case that is over 250$ I think I would want something with no cons though that's not going to happen. Fans being 181 MM is so weird shit as well why can't they just make them 180MM or something more standard. If you going to spend that much money on a case and want something your know is going to be the best quality get a Lian-Li.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112343 something like this
    That Lian-Li case doesn't even come close when it comes to cooling, it doesn't matter if the fans are a different size since they are pretty much the best fans you can get for that size and situation.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I hate the raven.... It's extremely loud and there is virtually no fans to replace the 180mms in the bottom. Smart concept, but fan noise drags it down imo.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...=c_180&area=en 4 different fans you can choose from, and they are far from being loud if you put them on low.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't argue though that Siverstone doesn't quite bring out the quality cases that Lian-Li makes though.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    You can't argue though that Siverstone doesn't quite bring out the quality cases that Lian-Li makes though.
    They do with the FT02, TJ07 and TJ11.

Both Silverstone and Lian-Li have cheaper cases in their catalog that doesn't hold up to either standard.

Temjin 11 is like the best case out there, at least until the 900D is available.... So many modders win prices with the Temjin11 it's insane. Absolute top class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to point out that the noise on the Raven is not a terrible high pitch noise. It is more like a constant gentle breeze. Plus, when the fans are on low (as has been mentioned) they are quite a bit less audible.

This is from personal experience.

My personal experience, in a quite small office, my GF's Raven build is being swapped with a Fractal Design Define Mini build this weekend, all Noctua NF-F12 fans and a H60 for the ultimate quietness. It's not high pitched, but it is wicked loud even on low.....