Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shoot to Kill OR Shoot to Injure?

If an intruder is in your home and has either A) a knife OR b) a gun, and looks threatening, would you shoot to kill, or shoot to injure him?

On one hand, you have an intruder who has broken the law and is in your home. Your sanctuary. Your refuge from the storm of life if you will. Your wife, children, and pets are now in jeopardy, to say nothing of your valuables.

On the other hand you have another life, who may just be in need of food and shelter. If you shot to injure, you could get him a nice longish hospital stay to get free meals, get treated to his wounds, and have shelter for awhile.

If you shot to kill, you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2013-02-27 at 10:32 PM.

If you are going to use a gun you should be always prepared to shoot to kill, and if you are not ok with that then you shouldn't be using a gun.

Also gun control thread.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    If you are going to use a gun you should be always prepared to shoot to kill, and if you are not ok with that then you shouldn't be using a gun.
    They same could be said for punching someone.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    If an intruder is in your home and has a knife and looks threatening, would you shoot to kill, or shoot to injure him?

On one hand, you have an intruder who has broken the law and is in your home. Your sanctuary. Your refuge from the storm of life if you will. Your wife, children, and pets are now in jeopardy, to say nothing of your valuables.

On the other hand you have another life, who may just be in need of food and shelter.

What do you do?
    Even tho I don't think anyone has the right to take the life of another.

I would shoot to live weather or not it kills the other person dose not matter to me. As long as I know I am safe from harm that is all that matters.

I hold my life above there's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

shoot to injure ofcourse....

but it all depends on the situation.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    They same could be said for punching someone.
    not really not at all.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

You generally shoot to put them down; whether this kills or injures is often just luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shoot to kill; the trick is to confirm your target and then shoot to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never point a gun at something you aren't prepared to kill.

And always always ALWAYS shoot to kill. Police and military will both tell you that.

Also, you don't have the skill required to shoot somebody in the arm or leg consistently. You're either going to miss entirely, or still end up killing them. So don't risk it: shoot to kill.

Contrary to popular belief, reality does not have a VAATS system where you can stop time and line up a perfect shot.

Verbal response first.
    Warning shot second, assuming I'm given the space.
    If the invader fails to leave, and continues at me in a threatening manner, I will attempt shoot to stop them (note: I like to use bird shot).

Note: I always prefer to use arms as a last option, by having secure entry-ways, an alarm system, and dogs. Furthermore, police will always be called in a case like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    If an intruder is in your home and has a knife and looks threatening, would you shoot to kill, or shoot to injure him?

On the other hand you have another life, who may just be in need of food and shelter. If you shot to injure, you could get him a nice longish hospital stay to get free meals, get treated to his wounds, and have shelter for awhile.

If you shot to kill, you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.

What do you do?
    I run. He can keep the stuff, thats what my insurance is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    You shoot to kill; the trick is to confirm your target and then shoot to kill.
    More like: announce your presence, then shoot to kill.

If the thief bolts then whatevs. If he lunges at you then its clearly self defense.

Deleted
    Shoot to injure...but we don't always think straight in a panick situation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Verbal response first.
    Warning shot second, assuming I'm given the space.
    If the invader fails to leave, and continues at me in a threatening manner, I will attempt shoot to stop them (note: I like to use bird shot).

Note: I always prefer to use arms as a last option, by having secure entry-ways, an alarm system, and dogs. Furthermore, police will always be called in a case like this.
    If you follow the correct escalation-of-force (which you've demonstrated) just aim centre-mass and shoot. Chance of missing, causing a ricochet and injuring someone else goes up considerably if you try and aim for limbs.

Deleted
    You ALWAYS shoot to kill, any Law enforcement officer or anyone in the Military will confirm this. An injured man is still a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    If you follow the correct escalation-of-force (which you've demonstrated) just aim centre-mass and shoot. Chance of missing, causing a ricochet and injuring someone else goes up considerably if you try and aim for limbs.
    Oh I'm aware. I used "stop" as my verb on purpose, as the distance (and accuracy, of course) of bird shot will likely determine lethality of the shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason why you should always shoot to kill is that your weapon should only be used in defense of life.

If your whipping out a handgun to break up a petty fight, you're being irresponsible.

As for your scenario, if I decide my life is in danger, I'm shooting to kill. Otherwise, I'll try to resolve the situation differently.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Shoot to kill. None of this bleeding heart bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You ALWAYS shoot to kill, any Law enforcement officer or anyone in the Military will confirm this. An injured man is still a threat.
    Especially if he's holding a gun.

Depends on:

-their distance from me
    -if I was alone in my home
    -their appearance

If they were within ten feet of me, I would shoot to kill.
    If I had a loved one in my home, I would shoot to kill.
    If they didn't drop the weapon or retreat, I would shoot to kill.
    _____

The decision would be made instantly though.
    __

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Especially if he's holding a gun.
    If he was holding a gun, I would triple tap without a second thought.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-02-27 at 09:53 PM.