Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You ALWAYS shoot to kill, any Law enforcement officer or anyone in the Military will confirm this. An injured man is still a threat.
    and with how screwed up the US judicial system is that injured man could try to sue you, and might win the case. best is a verbal warning and a warning shot, depending on the situation. if he lunges at you kill him, amazingly you're off the hook cause its self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well you should try to do the warning shot everytime you can, also... you're comparing a life to a hole in your wall?! o.O
    That's a little cruel
    I mean... in reality... A warning shot is only practical if you already have control of the situation. If you're at 10+ yards with a gun trained on the guy and he only has a knife - I don't think he's going to initially think it's a toy. If he has a gun, too, there's no reason to fire a warning shot - the recoil will take you off point momentarily and give the guy an opportunity to return fire.

After all, most thugs' response to being fired on is to return fire. A warning shot just seems like an unnecessary escalation in this situation, but I do understand where you're coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the intruder is breaking into my house and I can get to a firearm before he is inside, I will attempt a verbal warning or rack the Mossberg. If an intruder is already inside my home, I will shoot to kill whether I see a weapon of any kind or not. If, however, I have all members of my family with me, and I am in a safe area of my home at least one full floor above/below the intruder with my firearm in hand, I may try a verbal warning before ending the miserable cretin.
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suf-fer-ing. Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well you should try to do the warning shot everytime you can, also... you're comparing a life to a hole in your wall?! o.O
    That's a little cruel
    I've already stated once in this thread that I feel the spider in my living room has more a right to life than a human who has broken in.

I'm really not sure how much more clear I can be regarding my opinion on the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    I mean... in reality... A warning shot is only practical if you already have control of the situation. If you're at 10+ yards with a gun trained on the guy and he only has a knife - I don't think he's going to initially think it's a toy. If he has a gun, too, there's no reason to fire a warning shot - the recoil will take you off point momentarily and give the guy an opportunity to return fire.

After all, most thugs' response to being fired on is to return fire. A warning shot just seems like an unnecessary escalation in this situation, but I do understand where you're coming from.
    Yeah i know, that's why i said that you should always TRY but in cases (like the one you said) just make a headshot and get an archivement :P, I'm just saying that it was cruel of you to compare a life to a hole in the wall of your house...

Deleted
    Point to threaten, shoot to make the person incapable of being a theat (which is hopefully not a death). But in that situation I would just hide and call the police. Nothing in my house would ever be worth more than someones life unless it's the life of whoever is staying over at my house (including pets)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I've already stated once in this thread that I feel the spider in my living room has more a right to life than a human who has broken in.

I'm really not sure how much more clear I can be regarding my opinion on the matter.
    I understand and i'm not against your opinion, the problem is... that you prefer to kill someone than make a hole in the wall of your house.

Shoot to kill and make sure hes dead. No question if he comes into my house with a knife or gun, I know he intends to cause bodily harm or to kill me if they are brandishing a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by koekai View Post
    Point to threaten, shoot to make the person incapable of being a theat (which is hopefully not a death). But in that situation I would just hide and call the police. Nothing in my house would ever be worth more than someones life unless it's the life of whoever is staying over at my house (including pets)
    I mean, even myself, something folks might call a 'gun-nut' would consider this. If my family was safe, I'd arm myself and take an advantageous position and just stay put and call the cops. Moving about and actively engaging a trespasser when I have my life and my family's lives already best secured yields some of that advantage. If they walked down the hall towads us, it's a split-second decision - hopefully I'd hear them coming and announce that I'm armed and will shoot if they come any close before they get line of sight on my position, and that'd be it.

this is why the rest of the world hates Americans, they act like one human life is more important then another and no matter what the reasons behind it is this is never true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassmage View Post
    Shoot to kill and make sure hes dead. No question if he comes into my house with a knife or gun, I know he intends to cause bodily harm or to kill me if they are brandishing a weapon.
    Well, yeah but don't make sure hes dead..., cause if you shoot someone that is incapacitated on the floor and is no longer a threat you can go to jail... because in that was not self defense... that was murder..., for example:

There was a case where a 2 kids (16 years or so) got into a house to steal, but the owner found them and shoot them, he killed one and injured the second, but when the other kid was in the floor he shooted again in the head..., that was not self defense anymore, he could have just called the police... and wait checking him from a certain distance to make sure he won't do anything strange.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    this is why the rest of the world hates Americans, they act like one human life is more important then another and no matter what the reasons behind it is this is never true.
    I agree but it is a Laize said, he can do anything to defend himself but there's no right reason to shoot someone who's incapacitated, that just out of anger or just to be cruel

If there is an intruder, and I have a gun, I will be shooting to disable.
    Having trained a lot with firearms while I was in the Norwegian Navy, if this is an amateur break-in, then disabling him/her shouldn't be to difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

If someone is invading my home at night, I can only assume they know I am home. As a result the invader is not in my home to nice or kind. He is not there to show me or my family mercy or respect. He is there to do great and terrible harm. If its a choice between him and me or my family, there is no question or hesitation.

In that situation, I have a .45 with seven shots. All seven are going out the angry end of the gun. Each will be shot with the intent to kill. Each will be aimed center mass. Its between him and his almighty what happens next.

You can love us or you can hate us, but we're not going anywhere.

And what's true or not in terms of valuing one human life over another is a matter of opinion.

It's undeniable that you feel some human lives are more valuable than others.

I feel like that ignores the subjective, biologically imperative truth that when another thing poses a deliberate threat to the life of a person, that thing's life is no longer viewed as anything (not even equal) but a threat.

This is not an American concept. It's a hard-wired fact that's ensured the survival of the species and underpins natural selection.

Past that, I'm not sure you'd find many that would equate the importance of the lives of Ghandi, Ann Frank, and Martin Luther King Jr. with somebody like Stalin. Further on that, there's plenty of the rest fo the world that goes much further than Americans on this. Sudan, Syria, and many other countries have far more extreme and widespread discrimination based on factors far less deliberate than "he poses an immediate threat to my life".

Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    I feel like that ignores the subjective, biologically imperative truth that when another thing poses a deliberate threat to the life of a person, that thing's life is no longer viewed as anything (not even equal) but a threat.

This is not an American concept. It's a hard-wired fact that's ensured the survival of the species and underpins natural selection.

Past that, I'm not sure you'd find many that would equate the importance of the lives of Ghandi, Ann Frank, and Martin Luther King Jr. with somebody like Stalin. Further on that, there's plenty of the rest fo the world that goes much further than Americans on this. Sudan, Syria, and many other countries have far more extreme and widespread discrimination based on factors far less deliberate than "he poses an immediate threat to my life".
    It's not even just that.

You can say there are 2 humans suspended by rope over a vat of acid. One is your mother and the other is a random hobo on the side of the street. Given 30 seconds to choose (or they both fall in the vat of acid) you have to pick one who survives.

The only way to accurately demonstrate that "all human lives are equal" is to randomize which person you pick... but everyone fucking knows you'll save your mom. Thus no one truly views all human lives equal.

Shoot to injure... the feeling of having killed someone, even if he intruded on my home, would be unbearable.

Deleted
    Well if hes threatening me with knife, ofcourse ill kill him. He could have a weapon hed use if i just shot to injure.

It's not even just that.

You can say there are 2 humans suspended by rope over a vat of acid. One is your mother and the other is a random hobo on the side of the street. Given 30 seconds to choose (or they both fall in the vat of acid) you have to pick one who survives.

The only way to accurately demonstrate that "all human lives are equal" is to randomize which person you pick... but everyone fucking knows you'll save your mom. Thus no one truly views all human lives equal.
    I mean - I'd still feel bad for the hobo, and I'd be really pissed at whoever put me in that situation.