The Arms to Fury Switch...

I have resisted the entire 5.0-5.1 patch cycle switching from Arms to Fury, but... I see the future.

I should switch - but I don't really know what to do. I never got in a good raid guild and the only weapons I have is a 491 Shinka (LFR Sha of Fear, upgraded twice) and a 476 Starshatter (LFR Elegon).

If I switched, should I go TG just till I get good 1H weapons to go SMF? Or would it be an idea to buy those 463 Klaxxi exalt amber weapons for SMF, though the weapons are inferior?

Or just stay as Arms for PVE (which doesn't seem like a good idea)?

Also... if I am doing TG Fury in LFR, will 1H weapons drop?
    Last edited by jrch5618; 2013-02-27 at 10:50 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I assume you switch from Arms to Fury due to the higher DPS. Now, I have always been no friend of playing speccs one doesn´t like, but if you insist to, you should do it entirely. TG vs SMF is mainly higher AoE vs higher single target damage. For me, I always loved the idea of swinging two twohanders but finally found myself using onehanders.
    The thing is, warrios are very weapon dependent. If you only have access to the two mentioned weapons, go for TG. Try to get you hands on some onehanders and switch as soon as you have two of them. IMO the Klaxxi weapons are no option, they simply provide too less damage.

You seem to be very concerned about your performance. I think that is a good sign, that it is time to enhance your effort to find a good raiding guild. people who care about their performance deserve a raidguild if they are into raiding.
    Otherwise, you may just as well stay Arms.

I just found a raiding guild. My main question is - since I'm using LFR weapons anyway... will 1H weapons drop if I do LFR as TG Fury? I heard from someone ingame that it won't, but I don't know...

Besides, I can keep playing Arms when I PVP (which I'm doing more of now).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    I just found a raiding guild. My main question is - since I'm using LFR weapons anyway... will 1H weapons drop if I do LFR as TG Fury? I heard from someone ingame that it won't, but I don't know...

Besides, I can keep playing Arms when I PVP (which I'm doing more of now).
    Yeah, they do. Even though I main arms, I always switch to Fury to do LFR, simply because both 1H and 2H weapons will drop for you.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Ah. Would having a 483 and a 476 be good enough to run SMF over the two weapons I have now? Or two 483's since Amber-shaper and Sha of Fear drop 483 and Elegon drops a 476? (Even if I get the Sha of Fear weapon 1H, I wouldn't bother upgrading or gemming it because I'd plan to replace it with a 502 TOT LFR weapon).

Also, is it acceptable going 7.5/6.5 expertise? Using an axe mainhand?
    Last edited by jrch5618; 2013-02-27 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, they do. Even though I main arms, I always switch to Fury to do LFR, simply because both 1H and 2H weapons will drop for you.
    That's a bad idea if you don't actually want the 1Hers. You'll reduce your chances of getting whatever other items a boss has on its loot table.

15+ Year Old Account
    This may not be the best time to switch. If you prefer Arms you may want to wait and see how the 5.2 changes firm up. It looks like Arms should be much more competitive in a week or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthan View Post
    That's a bad idea if you don't actually want the 1Hers. You'll reduce your chances of getting whatever other items a boss has on its loot table.
    If I didn't want the one handers, I wouldn't switch. I use them for tanking / soloing.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I'm trying Fury, and something is coming up.

I'm not having a rage issue, but a GCD one.

On a training dummy, with 23% crit, I have times where I have Bloodthirst and Colossus Smash on cooldown, no enrages for Raging Blow, and no bloodsurge procs for Wild Strike. What do I do in those 1-2 GCDs before Bloodthirst comes back up? I guess I could use Heroic Throw, Whirlwinds (even singletarget)...

Battle shout if it's up? I personally have no qualms about pausing a keypress for one second to let the cooldown finish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
    This may not be the best time to switch. If you prefer Arms you may want to wait and see how the 5.2 changes firm up. It looks like Arms should be much more competitive in a week or two.
    This - Arms is looking very strong in 5.2 by all accounts. I am in a similar situation to you at the moment with gear, but I only just got LFR Shin'ka last night so it's not upgraded yet, and as such my weapons are only 1 item level apart. As soon as I upgrade the Shin-ka 2/2, I will go back to Arms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    I'm trying Fury, and something is coming up.

I'm not having a rage issue, but a GCD one.

On a training dummy, with 23% crit, I have times where I have Bloodthirst and Colossus Smash on cooldown, no enrages for Raging Blow, and no bloodsurge procs for Wild Strike. What do I do in those 1-2 GCDs before Bloodthirst comes back up? I guess I could use Heroic Throw, Whirlwinds (even singletarget)...
    How much rage you have? close to full bar (~105)?
    Well dump rage via Wild Strike/Whirlwind/Heroic Strike.

Under 50 rage and there is around 10 seconds left Colossus Smash cd left?
    Use Impending Victory, Battle Shout, Heroic Throw or even non procced Wild Strikes(Just make sure you have your rage when CS come's off CD)

sometimes you must even just sit and use auto attacks only while waiting CS/Bloodthirst cd.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The question I would ask is: How much experience do you have playing each spec in PvE?
    Personally, I've played Arms in PvE through thick and thin. Continuing to play the spec even when every other warrior is going fury.
    Yet, because I know the spec so well, I can perform up to a 'decent' standard (in the couple of normal raids I have done this tier ~100k dps without hitting 490 ilvl). Despite having equivalent TG and SMF weapons to choose from, I just cannot get the consistent fury dps to switch, and as it is a spec I am not comfortable with, or particularly enjoy playing (damn you RNG reliant specs!) - I will stick with Arms, so long as it isn't a 'broken' spec.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    People tend to get nervous if they can´t smash buttons. Irritatingly Fury is about pooling rage and - in rare occasions - about wating a few seconds. Cooldowns people sometimes forget about are, as you mention, Heroic Throw and Battle Shout. I do neither recommend using Whirlwind nor an unprocced Wild Strike

Furthermore, Arms indeed looks a bit more competitive in 5.2. But early simcrafting does still place it below Fury, smf and tg.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 5.2 Arms is relatively equal to Fury. You can play what you like tbh.

TG, due to RB and WW hitting harder, has better AoE then SMF.
    With the deep wounds buff, Arms has the best sustained AoE by multiple accounts at various gear levels, but a well played TG shouldn't feel like they are missing out on anything.

Whatever you enjoy, play it and you won't be missing out on much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way PTR looks with current changes is that Arms will be a little lower at start DEPENDING on your weapon you have, but TG/SMF/Arms will be near exact when BiS rolls around. That's how it works. Note that if you go Arms the gemming and reforging is much different than that of Fury so bare in mind if you constantly swap one spec won't be as good as the other due to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how your guild works, but the Crit niche is a nice home for Fury as you gear. If you play Arms you are entering the haste realm, overlapping with Retribution Paladins and the very popular 2 Handed Frost DK's. Something else to consider.