Poll: Best raid spec for 5.2

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best Rogue Raid DPS Spec for 5.2?

I currently do not play ptr so I do not know. If you have played ptr and see results from raiding, what spec will put out the most damage for boss damage?

Please only vote if you know results and not just guessing.**

It's sub, and if too many people get good at it, it'll be nerfed.

We are concerned that fully geared Subtlety, Enhancement and Windwalker DPS are still too high. None of these are particularly easy specs to play, so it might be okay that given that players won't realistically be able to hit their theoretical maxima. Just wanted to let you know they are on our radar.
    q.v.
    Last edited by HardCoder; 2013-02-28 at 12:45 AM.

Seems like people are divided on this. I heard sub was good if you know how to play it in 5.1 But im looking at 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Seems like people are divided on this. I heard sub was good if you know how to play it in 5.1 But im looking at 5.2
    It's as good or better than Mut at near-BiS gear levels in 5.1. Not much is changing in 5.2 except gear levels climb even higher. Subt will be the best spec in 5.2 with Mut and Combat not terribly far behind once you gear up decently. Note that target swaps hurt Subt more than other specs and you must be able to get behind the target to do competetive DPS. Also, Subt takes the most skill out of the 3; however, it's nothing like Cata Subt.

Above quote was from GC regarding the final tuning for 5.2.

Combat. As much as I don't like the initial push of the Blade Flurry nerf, there's too many fights next tier that favor the new Blade Flurry.
    To me, next tier is another Combat/Mut tier (at least during progression).

And anyone that wants to try Mut/Sub as their two specs needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves, Combat is NOT going to be the worst of the three.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

I'm going sub only for the sake of it - i want to play as sub and normal fights (which will be probably the only thing i'm going to see) aren't much of an issue.

This if i don't need to reroll warrior anymore
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    These things are not determined by a poll.

As for which is better, they're still tuning the numbers (just yesterday combat lost 5% AP from Vitality), so we'll have to wait for release. But the gist of it is that combat single target is now very close to assassination, and that sublety will get increasingly powerful at high ilvl due to Sinister Calling, and will eventually surpass the other specs. From my limited PTR testing, it goes something like this:

1 target: combat ≃ assassination ≃ sublety
    2-3 targets: assassination
    4-5 targets: combat
    6+ targets: assassination ≃ sublety

So far i've seen all fights in LFR, 6 on normal and 2 on heroic.
    Imo 5.2 is less sub-friendly than previous tier.

P.S. There's only one AoE fight btw - Tortos (can\t comment on Horridon HC tho), and rogues are best turtle-kickers imo (ShS ftw), so AoE not gonna be our duty there.

Deleted
    If it's a poll, I'll just say I'm hoping the fotm to be sub or combat, although all 3 specs have been buffed by roughly the same amount, so Mut might remain the go-to spec.

So yeah, I'm bored with Mut, want to try something else.

Well, if assassination is top dps for single target and decently good for aoe, ( and now combat got a little nerfed yesterday ), I suppose its dagger time.

It will probably be mutilate as usual with a possible sub lead on patchwerk type fights. Iirc combat got a 4% dps buff while assa got 3,5% ish (might be wrong on this) and we all know that there was more than a 0.5% dps difference between the specs. In my opinion on fights with 3-4 adds combat might possibly pull ahead

So in a long story short, assassination it is! haha

Until you get 4pc probably, which is worth about 9000 DPS for Combat. Not to mention the Real PPM trinkets benefit greatly from Haste, which Combat has in abundance.

Deleted
    The same can also be said (real ppm procs) about sub, with its mastery buffing SnD considerably. Fingers crossed for sub/comb to be better than expected.

Also combat's advertised 0.5s GCD should allow for some substantial keyboard wrecking burst capabilities, perhaps even better than sub? Just for the hell of it, I wonder how the ol' Fangs of the Father proc would play out with a 0.5 GCD, popping 12 eviscerates one after the other and shaving off two thirds of AR's cd in just 6 secs.
    Last edited by mmoc73b3c69870; 2013-02-28 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impa View Post
    The same can also be said (real ppm procs) about sub, with its mastery buffing SnD considerably. Fingers crossed for sub/comb to be better than expected.

Also combat's advertised 0.5s GCD should allow for some substantial keyboard wrecking burst capabilities, perhaps even better than sub? Just for the hell of it, I wonder how the ol' Fangs of the Father proc would play out with a 0.5 GCD, popping 12 eviscerates one after the other and shaving off two thirds of AR's cd in just 6 secs.
    i think most people would have to buy their keyboards more frequently
    Pugs are like Master Card---- Priceless.

I dont think people want to be stressed out playing a spec. They want something easy/normal that does great damage. So yeah, more frequent keyboard purchases lol.

Probably not sub (since it's siming to be the top right now, anyway and not showing that)

Early tier, Assassination is probably going to still be the go to spec since not THAT much will have changed. It's later tier with the 4pc + gear scaling + fight mechanics that things might change. The 4pc is definitely biased towards Combat with the reduced GCD. Gear scaling has also a history of pushing Combat and Sub extremely far while leaving Assassination with the short end of the stick. However, this will always be the case until Assassination's primary damage sources have weapon damage coefficients as opposed to attack power coefficients.

It's the fights themselves that will determine which spec is optimal. Just because Sub might sim the highest does not mean it all actually be the higher for any given fight. From my own ptr experience, a good portion of the Heroic fights will not in any way be friendly to a Sub rogue. Constant target swapping, time not behind the target, and time off the boss, are all things that can and will happen in Throne of Thunder and will not in any way be friendly to sub.

In terms of pure patchwerk, combat should be ahead by the end of next tier, or at least outstandingly close. Assassination should still hold it's ground strong on high movement fights since so much of it's damage is non-direct.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh