Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    from what i've seen around me with mac's is that the gpu's and hdd's are very common for hardware failure.
    No idea where you get this from. They fail as often as any other GPU/HDD. If you are referring to the MacBook Pro line with the Nvidia 8600M - yes, it used faulty nvidia chips and thus had an unusually high failure rate. Anyway, a GPU failure would manifest itself quite differently from what you are experiencing. You would see garbled (or no at all) visual output and crashes.

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    just because it is apple doesn't make their hardware different compared to others.
    Apple does not make any hardware, they use the same chips and components as everybody else.

  2. #22
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    first part on what you quote me states where i get it from.... (seen 9 fried gpu's in from the 5xx/6xx series. as for hdd's seen 5 of those die)
    considering i know about 30 people with macs that is a high failure rate. (do note this is likely very incidental)
    the primary point i wanted to make was that the SMC fix is certain to be the fix , the poster who suggested that came across to me as there can't be something wrong on a hardware level. whereas hardware from apple is no different from seperate bought oem parts. (i think you misread my post thinking i had the intention of being snide towards apple)

  3. #23
    A few problems here, #1 the MaC>PC for graphic work ship has long since sailed they are behind, for web development again Apple and Mac not good choices. #2 a ton of different things can cause WoW to choke, not even mentioning that the apple revision is not heavily developed and is really just cut and reworked to be compatible with apple products. Noone buys Apple or Mac for any reasoning beyond the cosmetics/branding and in most honest cases complete ignorance of what they want need and are paying for.

    Remove all addons

    delete the Cache

    check wow if problem persists disable 1 setting at a time ruling out each one. If nothing changes really and the Temps are stable its a hardware problem.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    first part on what you quote me states where i get it from.... (seen 9 fried gpu's in from the 5xx/6xx series. as for hdd's seen 5 of those die)
    considering i know about 30 people with macs that is a high failure rate. (do note this is likely very incidental)
    the primary point i wanted to make was that the SMC fix is certain to be the fix , the poster who suggested that came across to me as there can't be something wrong on a hardware level. whereas hardware from apple is no different from seperate bought oem parts. (i think you misread my post thinking i had the intention of being snide towards apple)
    I was the poster who suggested the SMC fix in the first place Of course there just might be something wrong with your hardware, but I find it highly unlikely. Virtually every rMBP suffers from the SMC bug so this is the most probable cause of the problem. And again, a hardware GPU defect would most certainly manifest itself in a different way than just reduced performance.



    ---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 09:48 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    for web development again Apple and Mac not good choices
    Nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Noone buys Apple or Mac for any reasoning beyond the cosmetics/branding and in most honest cases complete ignorance of what they want need and are paying for.
    As a user who chooses Apple products for over 5 years now out of the need to own an affordable unix workstation with an excellent combination of performance and mobility features I am rather offended by your comment
    Last edited by mafao; 2013-03-02 at 08:49 AM.

  5. #25
    i've trought ... epic fail!

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Noone buys Apple or Mac for any reasoning beyond the cosmetics/branding and in most honest cases complete ignorance of what they want need and are paying for.
    No one makes such statements for any reason beyond the probability that they simply can't afford a mac.

    Shaminghia, a simple hardware check: Try installing another game (or unigine) and see how it performs. If your problem persists after you've tried the aforementioned solutions, reinstall osX.

  7. #27
    Herald of the Titans Asrialol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hunter Forums <3
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    No one makes such statements for any reason beyond the probability that they simply can't afford a mac.
    I could go to the store right and and buy a grand total of 25 Macs (Assuming they cost around 17.000NOK, which is about 3000$). I have the same opinion as the one you quoted, macs are just cosmetics, branding and people can get a lot better if they buy from another manufacturer.


    Anyway, if your mac has heating problems you should get one of those fancy pads with fans on them that you rest the laptop on. Other people has mentioned that your pc could be downclocking and such.

  8. #28
    Herald of the Titans nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I could go to the store right and and buy a grand total of 25 Macs (Assuming they cost around 17.000NOK, which is about 3000$). I have the same opinion as the one you quoted, macs are just cosmetics, branding and people can get a lot better if they buy from another manufacturer.


    Anyway, if your mac has heating problems you should get one of those fancy pads with fans on them that you rest the laptop on. Other people has mentioned that your pc could be downclocking and such.
    I disagree. To avoid going off-topic in this thread I ask you to PM me a notebook with the MB retina's specs, screen and portability (I'll leave looks out of it, since they're obviously not important in your line of work. In mine they are).

    I could go out and buy me 9000 Panerai Lo Scienziato Tourbillon.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-03-03 at 08:50 PM.

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I disagree. To avoid going off-topic in this thread I ask you to PM me a notebook with the MB retina's specs, screen and portability (I'll leave looks out of it, since they're obviously not important in your line of work. In mine they are).

    I could go out and buy me 9000 Panerai Lo Scienziato Tourbillon.
    ill raise you a ux51 zenbook.
    on the internet everyone is a bad-ass because 99/100 times nobody can prove otherwise. (this is still no reason to confirm dickwad's theory of the interwebz)

    now to return to the actual problem at hand lets help the OP instead of bicker on about apple. (no fan of apple myself but it won't serve the thread any purpose)
    OP, make sure if the problem is software or hardware based.
    from there on we can see what the issue is.

  10. #30
    Herald of the Titans nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    ill raise you a ux51 zenbook.
    on the internet everyone is a bad-ass because 99/100 times nobody can prove otherwise. (this is still no reason to confirm dickwad's theory of the interwebz)

    now to return to the actual problem at hand lets help the OP instead of bicker on about apple. (no fan of apple myself but it won't serve the thread any purpose)
    OP, make sure if the problem is software or hardware based.
    from there on we can see what the issue is.
    I told you to PM it.

    I'll conclude with the following and wait until the OP replies:

    UX51: ~€1800
    Intel Core i7 3612QM
    1920x1080 screen
    128gb ssd
    2.2kg

    The Macbook's superior screen alone, warrants the fact that it's more expensive. Now add its superior CPU, a larger ssd, lighter weight and the fact that it's hardware is completely optimized (just to mention a few things).

    Poor example and imo, not a valid competitor.

  11. #31
    Folks, can we get back to the topic please? I'm not sure what a discussion about whether or not the iMac is worth it has to do with the OP's problem.

  12. #32
    thanks a lot

  13. #33

  14. #34
    The result was "NOTHING" ... !! ... the only thing is to reduce window resolution ... pff that shit

  15. #35
    You probably installed the problematic EFI update. Why not RMA it? Should be well within warranty.

    btw if you are lucky and get a system replacement you will probably get the new 2.4Ghz processor.

  16. #36
    LOL ??? i really don't understand!

  17. #37
    Well, did you do the SMC reset or not? Did the charger indicator change color after you performed it?

  18. #38
    I done the SMC reset following the guideline ... but nothing has changed!

  19. #39
    In this case you should bring it to an Apple store for a repair.

  20. #40
    Dreadlord Ripox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    839
    Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver and disable "Automatic Graphics Switching". Enjoy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •