Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The killings were done purposefully?
    So by your logic, if I started shooting to the air, and I killed many people, should everyone just forgive me?? I mean, I was not aiming for headshots, so the killings were not done purposefully...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone killed by a drunk driver is just as dead as someone killed by being shot in head. Punishment should be according to the result (someone dead), not the circumstances surrounding why they died. Not to say they should be drawn/quartered or hung, but 3 months or 3 years is not enough time for taking someone's life.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    He was not driving fast to kill people. He was driving too fast because he was careless and lightheaded.

He is 18, I am pretty sure speeding is one of the lesser things of bad things people do - especially at this age. You cannot expect them to be sensible, especially to gauge the grave consequences of a everyday crime, which is by far an exception and not the rule to happen.

If he is a decent person, no punishment you can inflict on him will be that bad as the deaths of those people on his conscience for the rest of his life.

You can be pretty sure - if he even dares to drive again - he will never be speeding again.

So what would the purpose of a harsher punishment be? It would only satisfy some people's eager for vengeance.
    Actions should have consequences. A few months for destroying several people's lives is not a consequence, it is a gentle slap on the wrist.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Well rehab 1) cost less than prison and 2) has long term benefits.

You see when you rehabilitate a person, you don't need to lock them up for extended periods of time, which means that ex-criminal goes out into the world and works and pays taxes back into the government, thereby becoming a productive member of society contributing to the country. Why would you not want criminals to be rehabilitated and made productive members of society? Is it because you only give a shit about vengeance and are incapable of thinking objectively?
    you act like rehabilitation works 100% of the time which it does not and then their are some people who just can not be rehabilitated and will never be a productive member of society.
    Last edited by Skandulous; 2013-02-28 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    what other lies do you have for us today
    The main point of my post was not to try to offend him... in fact, I was wondering if he seriously thought that way. I don't see my post being a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    you act like rehabilitation works 100% of the time which it does not and then their are some people who just can not be rehabilitated and will never be a productive member of society.
    Best part is he wants to rehab and change people with a system that has nothing but callous disregard for victims. How can you change someone for the better by rewarding bad actions?

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    Someone killed by a drunk driver is just as dead as someone killed by being shot in head. Punishment should be according to the result (someone dead), not the circumstances surrounding why they died. Not to say they should be drawn/quartered or hung, but 3 months or 3 years is not enough time for taking someone's life.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 04:36 PM ----------

Actions should have consequences. A few months for destroying several people's lives is not a consequence, it is a gentle slap on the wrist.
    You are still advocating vengeance. He didn't choose to hurt these people, he made a stupid mistake that cost people their lives. Ruining his life would be a disservice to society and very, very unjust. Nobody benefits by putting him in jail for a longer period of time.
    Justice needs to be 100% separate from feelings or it only ends up being vengeance. I can't even believe the emotional responses I am hearing in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm only going off of what I read, not imagining anything else in addition to what is in the article
    Are you sure about that? You know, considering that you stated he was racing, even though that isn't in the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Are you sure about that? You know, considering that you stated he was racing, even though that isn't in the article.
    blah blah blah read what I say if you want me to do you the same service

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    you act like rehabilitation works 100% of the time which it does not and then their are some people who just can not be rehabilitated and will never be a productive member of society?
    It has better chances than, doing nothing and focusing on punishment and vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Question, what should the purpose of the justice system be?

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    I was under the impression that the standards were rehabilitate, at least in western world. Have i missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Best part is he wants to rehab and change people with a system that has nothing but callous disregard for victims. How can you change someone for the better by rewarding bad actions?
    Rehabilitation is rewarding people for bad actions? So you rather criminals be sent to jail, join a gang (as many do) be treated horribly and hardened and then by the time they get out, aren't fully equip, WHICH IS WHY YOUR RATE OF RETURN IS SO DAMN HIGH.

Something like this happened years ago in Florida and the parents asked the judge not to give the kid jail time but for the rest of his life on the day he killed their son he was to write a check for 1$ to the victim. The parents never cashed the checks they just wanted the kid to never forget their son and about what he did that day.

It has better chances than, doing nothing and focusing on punishment and vengeance.
    Says who? You? please provide me a large sample of statistical data that supports your theory.

Rehabilitation is rewarding people for bad actions?
    Does rehabilitation include education and some improvement in their life?

Why have a longer sentence? They will be out eventually. Eight months is long enough to irreversibly change their life. After that it should be about rehabilitating them into society. What practical purpose does a longer sentence serve?

Deleted
    "The 18-year-old, who admitted causing death by careless driving, was also banned from driving for three years."

Ban from driving for life. And definitely that sentence is nothing compared to what he did. He knew what he was doing I really see no reason why he wouldnt do it again.
    Every one knows if u drive 56mph in a 30mph zone u risk ppls lives. So he did it 100% intentionally, punish him for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They should be sentenced to eat british food.
    That's just wrong, no one deserves that!

Deleted
    The majority of you forget that the vast majority of deaths in Britain are caused by reckless driving. Far more than deaths/injuries happen on our roads than our back alleys.

The whole justice system surrounding our roads, cars and driving needs to be reworked. Yes I am aware deaths on the road are unintentional but still. The basis for laws are to punish irresponsible individuals. People dying on the road is a result of irresponsible people being irresponsible.

10+ Year Old Account
    blah blah blah read what I say if you want me to do you the same service
    That's an incredibly immature attitude to have, just because someone pointed out that you were wrong on the internet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Pro tip: punishing the people who probably already feel terrible about this, absolutely WILL NOT BRING THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE.
    Yes, losing a loved one ect is bad shit, and I saw a local paper where a baby was killed in a NORMAL car accident, and the mother thinks the other driver involved should be locked up for life or put to death...the guy was not doing anything major, shit just happened...
    But when you steal a car, and or are drunk, and mow ppl down, leave them for dead, then sure, throw away the key.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

How about we execute everybody who has ever gone 20mph over the speedlimit?