Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Forums - Pay to Post

I know there are forums out there that require you to pay a sign-up fee to either post or browse, but what about a Pay2Post system?

The forums would be free to sign up for and browse, but users would have to purchase X amount of credits in order to post. Credits would be sold in different denominations to suit different types of posters and would be priced at roughly $1 per credit.

Each post and new thread would cost 1 credit.

In order to allow adequate discussion, once a user has paid for and commented on a thread, future posts in that thread would not cost additional credits.

Just a random idea that occurred to me today and definitely not fully fleshed out...but I thought it could have some potential:

1. Having an entry price point would mean that the users who post are (generally) people who are serious about the topic and there to have discussion.

2. The credit system would help reduce spamming since it costs people to share their thoughts. While empty posts like "OP is wrong and stupid. End." are still bound to appear, they'll hopefully be followed by some semblance of an argument to go along with it.

3. Repeat threads wouldn't be as common. Since it would cost a credit to start a new thread, people may actually spend some time searching for a similar topic rather than wasting their money.

4. Similar to any pay2play game, the threat of getting banned or suspended would help regulate users from doing anything that goes against the User Agreements.

OP is wrong and stupid.

And here's why.

That's dumb let people speak their mind, even people with annoying posts, and repeat threads, that's what mods are for.
    Something like that would be very limited as most people would not pay when there are plenty of free forums. And if you want to say something you have to pay for it. Words shouldn't be charged for. I understand they are if they are printed, but an internet forum is much more like a verbal discussion than a book or news paper.

Infracted. Flaming is not tolerated here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-28 at 09:49 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't attend such forums. Not only do I not want to pay, but I feel that the community would end up shrinking and becoming slow and uninteresting.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying a fee just to browse and talk on forums alone is just plain stupid if you ask me. Having to pay to post on forums would be even worse
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

So if someone needs help with something I should pay to respond to him? nice

1. No, it means the users have a lot of expendable income. Have you seen the post counts people tend to wrack up on forums - especially the ones who go around being helpful? I imagine they don't feel like paying $5000/year to continue helping people.

2. So would rules against such things that were enforced. Generally if you just said OP is stupid and nothing else you'd get infracted on these forums, too.

3. Maybe, but look at 1. People who don't care about the dollar will spam MORE because they feel entitled to.

4. Seems to work well enough already for most forums.

oh and 5. Most paid for forums are actually scams.

I would pay to access (not per post) a truly off-topic (read: no topic off limits) section on MMO-C, but that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just make my own forums, with Blackjack and Hookers!

You can keep your walled garden, ill be in the forest.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    The forums would be free to sign up for and browse, but users would have to purchase X amount of credits in order to post. Credits would be sold in different denominations to suit different types of posters and would be priced at roughly $1 per credit.

Each post and new thread would cost 1 credit.
    $1 per post? I'd stay as far as possible.

DO you work for EA? damn....

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine putting my post count in a post-to-pay system.

So basically, this idea wouldn't work. Got it.

Deleted
    Then the wealthiest person would win the arguments on the forums?

Opinions should be free to express, i would never pay in order to discuss topics online.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Imagine putting my post count in a post-to-pay system.
    At a dollar per post, you could have bought a new car instead of posting here. Seems like a no brainer.

This doesn't sound like the best idea, because all that you're doing is massively shrinking the pool of potential forum users. It's not hard to ignore the trolls, retarded posts and repeat threads, seeing how most forums are moderated and have the ignore options on them

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    You beat me to it...

Deleted
    I think it could be a useful idea in some circumstances, but it would have to be somewhere where the content would have actually have any importance. You get the point lol.

Maybe on something where it was business oriented or something, where you would pay to post, to signup or to subscribe or something. This forum is benefitted from (rather) free expression because posts don't have to serve any really useful value and isn't necessarily benefitted from such a thing always. A random, lame joke might be just as welcome as informed description or opinion of something.
    It already exists in different manners though, but I liked your ideas about paying to get in to threads if that counts for anything. It would have to be, probably, in a business setting though. Here we got mods to squash the too lame posts.

Like maybe something where you could pay 10 dollars or whatever to ask a question to someone or as you made the idea to pay to be able to post in a thread, but it would have to be obviously something where there is a return value. So you don't get all the questions like "how do I make a million dollars when I got nothing" questions in a forum where there were actually people trading profitable ideas or opinions. There is a danish forum and site that I know where you pay to "subscribe" and get access to post in the forums and other things probably. Like 50 bucks a year I think where it's an entrepreneur forum. I think. I'm rambling by now anyways.

But it would be a small forum where people would find it valuable to pay and post. Not one that is benefitted by quantity without quality, because you would pay to eliminate things without quality. Like you can send a facebook message to the guy who made it for 100 bucks, I think, otherwise it will get filtered by his inbox or whatever and all the pretty useless questions are automatically discarded. People post here just as much because we are bored, not because it earns money or I, at least, expect any professional quality on anything.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2013-02-28 at 08:32 PM.

I like your idea, most forums are full of stupid posts and ignorant statements, not to mention trolls. Problem is, the forum would have to be relatively popular in order for its use to have a value commensurate with its costs.

On the other hand, there is a possibility for something interesting there - why not charge to post, but allow up-votes to give you your money back (or perhaps even more). That way, useless or incorrect posts cost the poster, but useful pertinent info can be up-voted to give (small amounts of) money to that individual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    So if someone needs help with something I should pay to respond to him? nice
    pretty much this

there are already enough things that i have to pay for.
    Also your idea i believe mostly comes from the desire of cutting down unecessary post, and in doing that you're deciding somehow of what is an necessary or unecessary post. Your answer being, a necessary post is one that cost 1 dollar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    LOL!!!! Zing!!!!
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    I like your idea, most forums are full of stupid posts and ignorant statements, not to mention trolls. Problem is, the forum would have to be relatively popular in order for its use to have a value commensurate with its costs.

On the other hand, there is a possibility for something interesting there - why not charge to post, but allow up-votes to give you your money back (or perhaps even more). That way, useless or incorrect posts cost the poster, but useful pertinent info can be up-voted to give (small amounts of) money to that individual.
    If people have to pay to upvote you lock out fair opinion

If people don't have to pay to upvote you just skew your own up as much as you can be bothered.