Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    I like your idea, most forums are full of stupid posts and ignorant statements, not to mention trolls. Problem is, the forum would have to be relatively popular in order for its use to have a value commensurate with its costs.

On the other hand, there is a possibility for something interesting there - why not charge to post, but allow up-votes to give you your money back (or perhaps even more). That way, useless or incorrect posts cost the poster, but useful pertinent info can be up-voted to give (small amounts of) money to that individual.
    I never thought this system would be successfully implemented on a forum of this size. As many posters above have stated, it would be a lot more detrimental than helpful. However, in a niche market with a small community, I think it may (with some changes to my original idea - ex. lowering Cost Per Credit) help keep the forums relatively troll-free and on-topic.

I agree that it wouldn't be a significant source of revenue either. The cost would serve primarily as a gate rather than a revenue generator. An idea would be to have the forum be a part of a larger blog or fan site. Even if the cost to join the forum was dropped down to negligible amounts (ex. $5 for 10,000 credits), just by having that small filter, I imagine it would help to keep the user base somewhat more civil and on-point.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I never thought this system would be successfully implemented on a forum of this size. As many posters above have stated, it would be a lot more detrimental than helpful. However, in a niche market with a small community, I think it may (with some changes to my original idea - ex. lowering Cost Per Credit) help keep the forums relatively troll-free and on-topic.

I agree that it wouldn't be a significant source of revenue either. The cost would serve primarily as a gate rather than a revenue generator. An idea would be to have the forum be a part of a larger blog or fan site. Even if the cost to join the forum was dropped down to negligible amounts (ex. $5 for 10,000 credits), just by having that small filter, I imagine it would help to keep the user base somewhat more civil and on-point.
    The irony is smaller forums are usually much friendlier and less troll-infested because they are more of a community by nature of being smaller and naturally knowing all the others better.

If the cost was for the other items and the forum a bonus for users of the other items (common), it isn't that bad. It does leave out people who may be interested from asking questions though.

Either way a pay per post is just asking to kill your own community off.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The irony is smaller forums are usually much friendlier and less troll-infested because they are more of a community by nature of being smaller and naturally knowing all the others better.

If the cost was for the other items and the forum a bonus for users of the other items (common), it isn't that bad. It does leave out people who may be interested from asking questions though.

Either way a pay per post is just asking to kill your own community off.
    Touche. Good point.
    T'was a fun idea to mull over for an afternoon. Back to the drawing board for my big break.

Just because someone's willing to pay doesn't necessarily mean that what they say is serious conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    That would be rediculous... Would NOT EVER be worth my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I would pay to access (not per post) a truly off-topic (read: no topic off limits) section on MMO-C, but that's about it.
    I probally would aswell to be honest :3

Not just no, but oh Hell No.

Deleted

I'd rather not pay 40k+ for a forum...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyflu View Post

I'd rather not pay 40k+ for a forum...
    Well nobody forces you to spam like you do

But yeah the idea is stupid and so is this thread.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-28 at 09:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by holz View Post
    Well nobody forces you to spam like you do
    How can you be sure?

Pay to talk? No thanks.