View Poll Results: Do you use nameplates?

Voters
107. This poll is closed
  • All the time.

86 80.37%
  • Never.

5 4.67%
  • Depends on what you're fighting.

16 14.95%

Thread: Nameplates?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Nameplates?

Just a curiosity. I've never really used nameplates while playing wow. i manage fine without them most of the time. My eyes are starting to go bad on me though. So i'm wondering if you use nameplates or not, and what, if any, real actual major advantages/disadvantages to using them are. I know i could test it out myself, but i like collective input. so...there ya go.

See the health of stuff, for example 2 people attacking you, one is on 20% one is on 100%, you obviously should kill the 20% guy first

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    See the health of stuff, for example 2 people attacking you, one is on 20% one is on 100%, you obviously should kill the 20% guy first
    100%! I always use them just because I need to keel that damn filthy mage over in that corner that only has 20% life left - breh

10+ Year Old Account
    I use nameplates (tidyplates) 100% of the time and cannot imagine playing without them. Enemies only in PvE and both enemies and friendly in PvP. I don't know how people (especially healers) could PvP in places like BGs without them. You cannot tell the health of your allies in a flash without them.

In PvP, another addon puts the enemies most important skills and their remaining cooldowns directly above their nameplate as well.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    Just a curiosity. I've never really used nameplates while playing wow. i manage fine without them most of the time. My eyes are starting to go bad on me though. So i'm wondering if you use nameplates or not, and what, if any, real actual major advantages/disadvantages to using them are. I know i could test it out myself, but i like collective input. so...there ya go.
    Do you PvP? Random BGs in particular? Nameplates make a huge difference in targeting in PvP, especially if you're ranged. Tab targeting through a totems, pets and players doesn't really fly in PvP. Plus, nameplates indicate player health, pretty nifty if you're a ranged execute class like a Shadow Priest.

Nameplates are also useful for class determination and targeting the Mage after mirror image.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-28 at 10:50 PM.

I assume you never tanked

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    I assume you never tanked
    i have. still had no use for them.

I think they're invaluable in PVP; they get a little annoying if you're near a pillar and the shaman has all his totems down, however, since they're all the same size as his/her own nameplate.

PVE or PVP, I can't imagine doing anything without them. You can get addons to put lots of other useful information on them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    In PvP, it's a luxury (compared to other games) when running around pillars to know where an enemy is.

My opinion on them is that they're a must. You can easily see the health of all the mobs you're fighting, and as a tank with Threat Plates I can easily see what mobs I have threat on, which ones I'm losing threat on, and which ones I have no threat on. Even as a DPS having them on makes them it much easier to manage which mobs you want to attack.

I had them completely off up until Cataclysm where there was this one fight where having them on meant I could easily click on a certain mob.

Now there's no way I could go back.

all the time unless there is so much trash that i cannot pick out my primary target.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tidy plates <33333
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    I think they're invaluable in PVP; they get a little annoying if you're near a pillar and the shaman has all his totems down, however, since they're all the same size as his/her own nameplate.
    You can disable totem and pet nameplates in Interface settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the default nameplates, and if that was my only option, I would only turn them on in circumstances where I absolutely needed them. However, I use an addon (tidyplates), which I like very much. I have them turned on all the time for all hostile units.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

using Tidyplates. it's great for pvp and very useful while tanking , by choosing status colors you can see easily if someone pulls aggro from mobs in aoe trash, also you can see dots on them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    i have. still had no use for them.
    You do understand the principle of threatplates? They are not just any other nameplate. They enlarge the plate of mob you don't have threat on (if tanking), making it easier to click on and more importantly, identify.

Even if you don't have problems holding threat, threatplates are nice for confirming that. I remember being kicked from Grim Batol for not holding threat. I could see from threatplates that all the mobs were on me. The dps just did not know some of the mobs attacked a random target (regardless of aggro) and thought I let them die deliberately (as they refused to cc). The injustice! ;=)

Name plates are a must, especially in PvP. I don't know why people wouldn't use them. Also, class colored name plates are really useful too.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never used them. Just never liked the look. Sad part is, I've never thought about having it on.
    Might just put them on and get use to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    You do understand the principle of threatplates? They are not just any other nameplate. They enlarge the plate of mob you don't have threat on (if tanking), making it easier to click on and more importantly, identify.
    Yeah, tanking was the primary motivation for me to start using nameplates outside of pvp. It was really nice to be able to monitor threat on multiple adds when I didn't have them targetted, in addition to things like swapping for interrupts, etc. I wouldn't say they're mandatory, but I think they provide extra data that allows me to be a more effective tank.

Then I just started missing them on other characters, so now I just use them all the time on everyone. Just off the top of my head, there are a lot of circumstances where they provide useful data even as a DPS or healing raider. Just thinking of this tier: It's nice to be able to immediately pick out which of a cluster of adds is lowest health without targeting (Lei Shi), or for targetting things that might be otherwise hard to target quickly (Elegon Sparks), and watching the health percentage of things you don't generally target (fields on Empress), or tracking which mobs of many are casting (Windlord adds), etc, etc.

I don't use them to track dots or anything like that though; I like them clean and simple.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |