Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Mistweaver Healing Orbs

I have a level 90 mistweaver monk that I'm trying desperately to improve heals on. I have noticed that my healing generates random orbs around me that will heal someone were they to move over them. Problem is, most of the time, it seems that people are accidentally moving over them and getting healed rather than seeing them there and moving over them on purpose. Can people not generally see them? I asked once and the tank said he could "kinda" see them. Should I point them out to a dungeon or raid group through a macro or something? I feel it would help me out tremendously if they knew about them and utilized them, especially dps.

The better the player, the better they're able to use the orbs. Mostly it is about experience, and why a lot of people still stand in bad things. They're so focused on pushing their buttons and tunnel visioning things they have problems with environmental awareness. It's generally a skill developed mostly in raiding or high end pvp over time.

Also, it's why lightwell never worked well. You either have to rely on the people to see it and know when a good time to use it is, or move out of position to use it. Mobile ranged classes like hunters and warlocks can make good use of it, but melee and 'planted' ranged specs like mages have a hard time because they either have to stop what they are doing, or move out of range of the boss to get real benefit from the orbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    Also, it's why lightwell never worked well. You either have to rely on the people to see it and know when a good time to use it is, or move out of position to use it. Mobile ranged classes like hunters and warlocks can make good use of it, but melee and 'planted' ranged specs like mages have a hard time because they either have to stop what they are doing, or move out of range of the boss to get real benefit from the orbs.
    ^^ This. Even while I'm tanking, I hardly notice them piling up around me. I don't think most people even know how important they are yet with monks being the new class. I know my guild leader was clueless about the class. They still end up being quite a big portion of heals however (Especially in 25's) whether people actively pick them up or not.
    Last edited by Lumiair; 2013-02-28 at 11:19 PM.

You can find lots of Mistweaver mastery discussions around the forums here. It does not scale well and requires action on the player being healed to work. Most MWers shy away from this stat because of this.

What luneward said is very true. If I'm with my normal 10m team my mastery accounts for roughly 10% of my heals, but if I'm healing in a pug it can be less than 5%.

The nice thing is the bubbles won't heal if a player is already full and it heals for a good amount each proc. 5.2 will allow the bubbles to 'pop' after a short time if not picked up and heal for half the amount to a player, so its getting better, but still very weak stat.

If your struggling on your healing I highly suggest the sticky "The Serpent’s Accord: A Mistweaver PvE Guide". That should get you started.
    Lots of content around here and lots of friendly and knowledgeable monks if you have any questions.

While the orbs are very strong bursty heals when needed, I find that I use them more in unique scenarios than just when I need to heal someone largely. E.g. - Garalon, if I know the pheramone player is going to be too far away but he's topped on hp at the moment - I'll leave an orb there for him.

Another example, imperial vizier (especially hc) - It's very hard to stop and heal much, just spamming healing orbs underneath you can be a life saver if someone else messes up. In my raid group, most of them are picked up accidentally but I find that the tanks in particular seem to enjoy picking them up. Players will also tend to pick them up if I remind them that they're there for heals if they really need it; think people just need to get used to it tbh.

the problem with our mastery is that it puts other players in charge of making our mastery even decent. I am lucky enough to have a guild that uses them. i almost never need to heal one of my dpsers he's incredibley good about using the orbs. When it comes to raiding you need to make sure to call out when theres alot of orbs that can be used for healing. Also they can be very helful when doing blade lord. its nice to set up as many as you can for the transition as they do work when everyone is in tornados, granted they typically go to whoever is in front.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bklutz View Post
    Also they can be very helful when doing blade lord. its nice to set up as many as you can for the transition as they do work when everyone is in tornados, granted they typically go to whoever is in front.
    Every single monk in the raid - MW's, WW's and BrM's all - should spam the shit out of Healing Orb during tornado alley on Ta'yak (apart from MW's weaving in RnM/Uplift).

They are AWESOME.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Implementing the Diablo 3 healing system into WoW and expecting people to heal themselves with it when you have to constantly remember them to use healthstones and click on the lightwell and use personal defensive cooldowns is obviously never going to work well.

It's going to be better in 5.2, but well, you will never manage to force people into using them, they will still hope for a heal.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Every single monk in the raid - MW's, WW's and BrM's all - should spam the shit out of Healing Orb during tornado alley on Ta'yak (apart from MW's weaving in RnM/Uplift).

They are AWESOME.
    Holy fel why did I never think of this.... Now I just need to figure out a convenient keybind I can use to bind it to while I'm dodging tornadoes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    Holy fel why did I never think of this.... Now I just need to figure out a convenient keybind I can use to bind it to while I'm dodging tornadoes.
    I've got it on an inconvenient keybind because I never really use them extensively (main BrM with casual WW play) but even then, all you're doing is moving forwards while strafing left and right without using any other abilities besides EH. I actually move my left thumb over to the 7 key where it's bound while keeping my fingers on Q, W and E and I slap down those orbs like a boss.

I lay them in the path of other people, because I have the ability to insta-cast EH and CW on myself, and I never have to wait for one to be eaten to lay another. They get gobbled up fast, and my raid guys love it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I found healing spheres incredibly useful as Brm when you're doing the debuff stacking on lei shi

If you are MW though, I find it the only reasonable thing to do to cover tank healing in short periods. Such as on heroic protector when corrupted waters spawn etc (crit heals for 200k lol!) There's few other times I find them really useful too so I keep them bound on h and I have no problems accessing that button rather quickly

I like using the orbs. On ptr with the 493/522 gear i get lot of HPS spamming it. Really helpful spamming it ON players aka your tanks on Sha of Fear. Yada yada.
    Plus my guildies know to walk over them hehe
    I do not use any macros for it. Better you are. Better you are at the orbs
    Also i have a question why are some of the orbs red? Id prefer them over green
    Last edited by Zarandra; 2013-03-02 at 11:24 PM.
    I solo stuff. I do deepz. I raid. What else do i want? Oh yeah. loot. give me loot. Cookie for loot?