Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Upgrade Taoren or Valor cap?

    So, I finally got heroic heroic taoren tonight but I'm not sure if I should spend the 1500VP to fully upgrade it. I know there's an amulet available from the Throne of Thunder boss rep at neutral as well as a ring, trinket and wrist available at friendly. I think I also remember reading that it will only take 1 boss kill to get to friendly. If this is true, I know the amulet, ring, and wrists will be an upgrade(pretty sure the trinket won't be) and I want to have enough VP to get them as soon as possible. I also know that heroic taoren fully upgraded is better than all normal mode weapons in throne of thunder. So, the question is do I spend 1500VP to fully upgrade taoren but go into the patch with only 1500VP, or not upgrade taoren and go into the patch capped?

  2. #2
    Upgrade it. Why?

    1) Because fully upgraded and gemmed it's likely going to be better than the normal mode ToT weapons.
    2) Because weapons affect our performance far more than a ring or neck
    3) MOST OF ALL because you can't upgrade Taoren after 5.2 whereas you can buy the ring and neck, etc. Given two things that are even roughly equal and one of which becomes unavailable after 5.2 do the one that goes away.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-02-27 at 06:39 AM.

  3. #3
    I guess it also depends on how early in the tier a weapon drop is available. It looks as if Tortos drops the first ranged weapon and he's the fourth boss, so I wouldn't be replacing it until the first 4 heroic bosses are killed if I'm lucky. I guess it's best to spend the valor and upgrade instead of being capped going into the patch.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Kissthebaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,079
    upgrade it becuase it will be bis till heroic weapons.

  5. #5
    Depends how close to BiS you are. The cloak has Mastery/expertise, the belt has haste/hit, the neck has haste/hit - all pretty much worthless for a hunter. They would probably be upgrades in the end due to their higher item level, but not compared to upgrading your "big" items like Taoren. The only two items who are "good" for hunters are the bracers and the ring. Concidering that we can't upgrade at all in 5.2 untill they reimplement it later on, you'll have maxed out on VP to buy usefull stuff in 3 weeks (and get your first out of 2 items before heroic modes even start if you don't slack). Not really worth saving up for.

  6. #6
    upgrade your gun.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  7. #7
    short answer: Taoren

    long answer: Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoren

  8. #8
    Upgrade .. you still have time b4 5.2 comes out, at least 2 weeks or so.. enough time to earn VP for neck

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhodios View Post
    Upgrade .. you still have time b4 5.2 comes out, at least 2 weeks or so.. enough time to earn VP for neck
    Actually, the patch should be coming out on the 5th.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  10. #10
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,051
    I'm personally going for the Valor cap because I've got mainly Raid Finder gear, but if I had a few better items, such as yours, I would upgrade as it'll be better to have those upgrades going into Throne of the Thunder King.

  11. #11
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm better off upgrading, thanks!

  12. #12
    upgrade it, heroic taoren upgraded is better than 522 weapons.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    The only two items who are "good" for hunters are the bracers and the ring.
    The trinket is actually really good as well, it's simming substantially higher than any of the normal 522 trinkets, but it also depends what you're using atm, as I think H Terror and H Bottle upgraded are better.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-02-27 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    The trinket is actually really good as well, it's simming substantially higher than any of the normal 522 trinkets, but it also depends what you're using atm, as I think H Terror and H Bottle upgraded are better.
    It has way too much hit for me to even want to use it. I'd rather go farm H bottle/terror from an old instance with the 10% nerf, as the two bosses are so easy already, and as you said, they're better upgraded and almost as good non =P.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Actually, the patch should be coming out on the 5th.
    The week after the 5th sounds more likely, but hey I don't work for Blizzard.

    On-topic, like mentioned before, upgrade the gun. It's too good not to upgrade as you will only replace it with a heroic ToT weapon.
    Bovan.9481
    Completed legendaries: Twilight, Sunrise, (Eternity), Incinerator, Bolt, Quip, Frostfang, The Moot, The Juggernaut, Howler.
    Current projects: Predator and Aether.

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,218
    the week after is the release of HotS, I doubt it's the 12th. With the release of the trailer this morning, I'm thinking ToT is next week.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    the week after is the release of HotS, I doubt it's the 12th. With the release of the trailer this morning, I'm thinking ToT is next week.
    That's actually a good point I didn't even consider. Historically though major patches have always been a week after the end of a PvP season.
    Bovan.9481
    Completed legendaries: Twilight, Sunrise, (Eternity), Incinerator, Bolt, Quip, Frostfang, The Moot, The Juggernaut, Howler.
    Current projects: Predator and Aether.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    That's actually a good point I didn't even consider. Historically though major patches have always been a week after the end of a PvP season.
    Most major patches have been the week of the pvp season ending, not one week after.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  19. #19
    so what numbers do you guys use when you say taoren hc 2/2 upgrades is better than a tot nhc weapon?
    because when i take what askmrrobot provides i do not get that same result.
    31k tot nhc tortos bow
    29k taoren 2/2 incl 500agi gem

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    so what numbers do you guys use when you say taoren hc 2/2 upgrades is better than a tot nhc weapon?
    because when i take what askmrrobot provides i do not get that same result.
    31k tot nhc tortos bow
    29k taoren 2/2 incl 500agi gem
    517 taoren > ToT normal weapons for BM and SV. For MM I'd say the normal weapon is better.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2013-02-28 at 09:23 AM.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •