Question Can anyone suggest a new rpg to play?

Hi just wondering if anyone can suggest an rpg to play.

To note, my favourite rpgs are the witcher (the first game), paper mario TTYD, Pokemon games and elder scrolls.

I don't really play any other type of rpg other than those. It should be noted the only final fantasy game I have played is 13 and I played maybe 5 hours. Needless to say I didn't like it. In addition I played some dragon quest 9 and it was ok.

Any rpgs that are a must in terms of story which I really like in games as well as branching paths like in the witcher 2. Cheers for any suggestions.

Dragon Age (first one, avoid the 2nd) and Kingdoms of Amalur come to mind. Bit older so might be able to find them cheap.

Try Witcher 2? Both Dragon Age games. Kingdoms of Amalur is a good suggestion. Have you played Morrowind? You didn't list which Elder Scrolls games you played. Legend of Grimrock might be fun, you might enjoy the Mass Effect series as well.

If you want well written stories you need FF4 and 6, which are the two best FF games.

Edit -> You didn't give us console/pc options. Is this PC-only or do you have consoles?

You should try Final Fantasy 12. All of the others I can't stand because of the combat system, and 13 was a terrible one to play as your first one. It has that boring turn based combat and was one of the most linear games I've ever played. Twelve has real-time combat and has an extremely open world. It's on the PS2 though so I don't know if you would be able to play it. Other than that I would say Fallout 3 if you can get into a shooter. It's much more than a shooter and although it's a little slow when you first start out it gets steadily better as you play.

You should try Ni No Kuni, it is amazingly fun plus the combat system is similar to Pokemon where you have familiars that you can tame and level up to use in battle.
    Last edited by Tuma; 2013-03-01 at 09:43 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    By console.

Paper Mario for the N64 if you can get it. Or even further back than that, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars for the SNES were both gaming generation defining rpgs.

For PSX: Grandia, Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy 9, Star Ocean, Tales of Destiny

Gamecube: Tales of Symphonia

DS: Devil Survivor

PS2: Disgaea Hour of Darkness, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Grandia 2.

PSP: Persona 3 Portable

Wii: Tales of Graces

3DS: Devil Survivor 2, Fire Emblem

PS3: Disgaea a Promise Unforgotten.

PSVita: Persona 4 Golden.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    As suggested above: Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening. Mass Effect 1,2,3, Knights of the old republic 1 and 2, Neverwinter nights, Sacred 1 and 2. Didn't suggest jrpgs because I despise them.

I have played all mass effect series, oblivion and skyrim (maybe try morrowind). Played dragon age: origins it was really good but not my favourite combat type.

I have a good enough PC to run the witcher 2 mostly high. I have access to xbox 360, nintendo 3DS, wii u/wii and a gameboy sp. I have heard ni no kuni or whatever is good and some aspects are similar to pokemon.

Yes I have played the witcher 2 also but just preferred the 1st ones lots of side quests and longer in my experience. Wicher 2's combat was much better. Incase anyone is wonderng about zelda games I have played all main console games.

I do particularly like turn based or similar style combat with items or level up system to progress character. Grinding I don't mind most the time if the combat is interesting enough.

I have been thinking of getting a ps3t because of the playstation plus thing.

Thsanks for suggestions possibly try morrowind. Although a story progressive game is something I'm interested in right now.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by jackmbhoy View Post

I do particularly like turn based or similar style combat with items or level up system to progress character. Grinding I don't mind most the time if the combat is interesting enough.
    Sounds like you might like atelier totori, if you don't mind the artstyle anyway

Dragon Age 2 has better combat than Dragon Age 1.

Story progressive game that isn't a jrpg is going to be difficult. You could try Vagrant Story that was for the PS1?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls, infuriatingly difficult but gratifying upon each accomplishment.

If you can get a PSX (PS1) emulator, I would suggest Xenogears if you are into mecha and don't mind the old graphics. The gameplay may not be amazing, but the story is amazingly complicated and multi-layered. I don't think I ever I played an RPG with such a great story.
    There is also Xenoblade for the Wii, which has a great story and fun gameplay (kinda like WoW's battle system).

Please check the stickies before creating threads.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Suggest-a-Game!