Would like a faster computer. Where should I start looking?

I am looking for something a little faster, or that can handle more load throughout the game. In 5.2 I plan to do alot of video recording, and I'm looking to see what could help me out with that within my build.

Case : Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    MotherBoard: MSI Z77A-GD55 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
    GPU: MSI GTX580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Edition
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw x 8GB

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB

Any other information I'm missing, let me know.

Deleted
    how about overclocking the cpu?

10+ Year Old Account
    for CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz is 3th generation, ur is 2th generation

Buy a decent CPU cooler, OC the 2500k to 4.0-4.5GHz with just few buttons and no testing needed really. If you already don't buy a HDD that will be your primary recording HDD, this ensures that you will not get FPS drop because the Recording HDD is only writing data. Where if you had your game and recording in 1 SSD/HDD, it would slow down.

We have fairly similar system, I have:
    MoBo:ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
    CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.3GHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x 4GB 1333Mhz
    GPU: ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II 1.5GB
    SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM

You have a better SSD and I have a better CPU(since you didn't mention OC, I assume it's stock).
    If I record to my HDD(with WoW being on SSD) and having my i5-2500k @ 4.3GHz, I get no FPS drop at all, or it's something minor like 1-3, since I can't really tell the difference.

If you wish to have more performance overall, i7-3770k is the way to go, your GTX 580 is already far enough for WoW. The i7-3770k is for if you want to record other games, since WoW is a dual-core game, an i5 is enough since i5 has 4 cores, so 2 cores for Game and 2 for the recording. And also the Hyperthreading is a big boost to anything CPU-heavy related media.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mosu332 View Post
    The difference is minimal and not worth the money invested.

I'd consider an i7-3770k and an aftermarket cooler (such as a Coolermaster 212 EVO) to OC it.

Yes, that might be a bit expensive, but your GPU shouldn't need replacing, as it is still in a very good spot. With the i7-3770k, you should be able to render a lot quicker, since your video editing software will be able to utilize Hyperthreading. Even in CPU dependent games such as WoW, you should notice quite a nice performance boost, should you OC it - this isn't going to be too difficult to do with an aftermarket cooler.

Also, as you already have a Z77-based motherboard, compatibility shouldn't be a problem either.

Deleted
    Why would that matter?

15+ Year Old Account
    wont see a huge improvement, the i5-3570k especially.

you could have bought a used one on eBay.

Changing the CPU even to an i7 is a huge waste of money, even if you manage to sell the 2500k for a decent amount of money you are still looking at over $150 to get a bit faster rendering. The difference in game performance is very minor.

Overclock you current CPU and wait at least for Haswell to see if there are any major improvements in CPU power.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    how about overclocking the cpu?
    I've only been Ocing using the OC Genie on teh MB. Clocks it to 4.2 GHz.

Set your voltage to 1.325 and your multiplier to 45 and run a prime95 to check if stable. If it isn't stable, crank the voltage up to 1.350 and try again. If it is stable the first time, try setting it down to 1.3 or set your multiplier to 46.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Set your voltage to 1.325 and your multiplier to 45 and run a prime95 to check if stable. If it isn't stable, crank the voltage up to 1.350 and try again. If it is stable the first time, try setting it down to 1.3 or set your multiplier to 46.
    The MSI MB has the "OC Genie" Should this be turned off, then disabled through the BIOS before I adjust the voltage and multiplier?

Don't use the OC genies and similar settings, it will clock at a much higher voltage than necessary making your CPU hotter and give it a shorter lifespan. Take your time when overclocking, a good overclock could easily take 4 hours to complete but it will be stable, high and it will be extremely cool compared to an auto OC.