Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    Can you link a picture? Shows normal for me

Reading the thread title, as the first thread of the page, had me convinced I had had a mini stroke for a second.

Happy Saint David's Day. (I didn't think people actually celebrated this though)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Both the same, even most of the Welsh are not fluent in the language.
    Not the same at all, just because you can't understand a more complex language than English just not make it gibberish. It's rather insulting really, I don't expect anything else from an Englishman, though :<

Nothing special happens, where I work there was tasting of Welsh cakes etc and a Welsh flag. Probably be something on the telly saying Happy St David's day but that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    We would be celebrating St George's Day and St David's Day like St Patrick's Day if people made them into a raging alcoholic's day where everyone guzzles more booze than they normally do the other days of the year. I swear that's the only reason why we celebrate that day.
    I've always been under the impression that people celebrate Saints Days as some sort of push for recognition due to an inferiority complex, often linked to real or percieved oppression.

England doesn't really have that complex, though it seems to be on the rise over recent years, and neither does Wales to any major extent - possibly because the majority of Welsh people don't really give a fuck about big bad England in the way that Scottish or Irish people do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I've always been under the impression that people celebrate Saints Days as some sort of push for recognition due to an inferiority complex, often linked to real or percieved oppression.

England doesn't really have that complex, though it seems to be on the rise over recent years, and neither does Wales to any major extent - possibly because the majority of Welsh people don't really give a fuck about big bad England in the way that Scottish or Irish people do.
    Celebrating your saint = hating Brits?

Who has the inferiority complex again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Not the same at all, just because you can't understand a more complex language than English just not make it gibberish. It's rather insulting really, I don't expect anything else from an Englishman, though :<

Nothing special happens, where I work there was tasting of Welsh cakes etc and a Welsh flag. Probably be something on the telly saying Happy St David's day but that's it.
    Why waste time learning a language not even most of the founding country cannot speak?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language

Only 14.6% consider themselves fluent.

Deleted
    Why waste time learning a language not even most of the founding country cannot speak?

It's a free world and its actually very interesting, rediscovering your lost roots, a language of the past. It's very romantic. Learning a different language is always good for your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Celebrating your saint = hating Brits?

Who has the inferiority complex again?
    The Scottish are Brits, your comment makes no sense.

Deleted
    Oh and also, national saints are celebrated in other countries. Not only "paddies and plastic paddies".
    Way to insult people though.

It's okey tho they're white so it's not racist.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 04:58 PM ----------

The Scottish are Brits, your comment makes no sense.
    I was replying to your comment. Can you not find the sense in your own post?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was replying to your comment. Can you not find the sense in your own post?
    Once again, you comment had nothing to do with mine. I mentioned the difference in perception of England in Wales, as compared to that in Ireland and Scotland.

How does 'hating Brits' have any relevance to Scotland? That would be self loathing.

Deleted
    Once again, you comment had nothing to do with mine. I mentioned the difference in perception of England in Wales, as compared to that in Ireland and Scotland.

How does 'hating Brits' have any relevance to Scotland? That would be self loathing.
    You tell me you said it yourself...

Quoting:
    "England doesn't really have that complex, though it seems to be on the rise over recent years, and neither does Wales to any major extent - possibly because the majority of Welsh people don't really give a fuck about big bad England in the way that Scottish or Irish people do."

So celebrating your saints is somehow seen as a retaliation to the British in your view? Which is the meaning of my original post.

10+ Year Old Account
    You tell me you said it yourself...

Quoting:
    "England doesn't really have that complex, though it seems to be on the rise over recent years, and neither does Wales to any major extent - possibly because the majority of Welsh people don't really give a fuck about big bad England in the way that Scottish or Irish people do."

So celebrating your saints is somehow seen as a retaliation to the British in your view? Which is the meaning of my original post.
    The Scottish are British.
    The English are British.
    The Welsh are British.

So, once again, what are you talking about?

Deleted
    The Scottish are British.
    The English are British.
    The Welsh are British.

So, once again, what are you talking about?
    ??? I'm lost ???

What I quoted are your words....

I think we stepped into surrealism.

10+ Year Old Account
    ??? I'm lost ???

What I quoted are your words....

I think we stepped into surrealism.
    I think we discovered that you don't know the difference between English and British.

Deleted
    I think we discovered that you don't know the difference between English and British.
    And I think you managed to dodge the question with a nonsensical turn around. /golfclap

10+ Year Old Account

Because it gives you a huge advantage when looking for a job in Wales, especially for supermarkets. I don't think you should judge someone who wants to learn their own language for whatever reason it is. It also depends on what region you live in, there is a lot of Welsh speakers where I live and regular meet ups for people who want to learn and they go on trips etc. Whereas in the south, it's apparently a lot different.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 05:21 PM ----------

And I think you managed to dodge the question with a nonsensical turn around. /golfclap
    Chill, he didn't mean anything by his post. Celebrating your Saint's day is that and that only, there is no push for recognition etc imo.
    Last edited by TJ; 2013-03-02 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Because it gives you a huge advantage when looking for a job in Wales, especially for supermarkets. What makes you so godly to judge someone who wants to learn their own language? Also depends on what region you live in, there is a lot of Welsh speakers where I live and regular meet ups for people who want to learn and they go on trips etc. Whereas in the south, it's apparently a lot different.

Chill, he didn't mean anything by his post. Celebrating your Saint's day is that and that only, there is no push for recognition etc imo.
    Well 85% of the welsh population agree with me, otherwise they would be fluent. Time spent learning Welsh is time that could be spent learning something more useful, before you argue the fact look at the statistics, less than 15% of the Welsh can speak the language.

Deleted
    Because it gives you a huge advantage when looking for a job in Wales, especially for supermarkets. What makes you so godly to judge someone who wants to learn their own language? Also depends on what region you live in, there is a lot of Welsh speakers where I live and regular meet ups for people who want to learn and they go on trips etc. Whereas in the south, it's apparently a lot different.

Exactly what I think and what I was asking him.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 05:25 PM ----------

Well 85% of the welsh population agree with me, otherwise they would be fluent. Time spent learning Welsh is time that could be spent learning something more useful, before you argue the fact look at the statistics, less than 15% of the Welsh can speak the language.
    Learning has to be related to functionality? You know that latin and Ancient Greek greatly improve your ability to analyse and reason out of problems?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're obviously commenting on something that you have no idea about, as shown by your use of the term 'Brits', when in fact you (presumably) meant 'English'.

"Celebrating your saint = hating Brits?" makes no sense when applied to Scottish people, as that would mean "Scottish people celebrating their saint (Andrew) = hating the Scottish".

Deleted
    Exactly what I think and what I was asking him.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 05:25 PM ----------

Learning has to be related to functionality? You know that latin and Ancient Greek greatly improve your ability to analyse and reason out of problems?
    Learning 2 more common languages would be much more beneficial, unless you are a historian that is required to know such languages.