is a person's will power strong enough

Completely random, but curious.

If a guy gets hit with for example, sleeping gas. Can an individual have the ability to negate the effects of sleeping gas? Mind power? Will power?

Can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post

If a guy gets hit with for example, sleeping gas. Can an individual have the ability to negate the effects of sleeping gas? Mind power? Will power?

Can it be done?
    No, it cannot. Biology is biology.

Deleted

Can it be done?
    I have never heard if it being done, using willpower to negate drugs and poisons is getting into the realm of the Jedi (KOTOR 2).

Its not will power, its biochemical resistance brought on by either genetics or training (basically influencing genetic expression).

Its no different from certain people being resistant (naturally) or highly susceptible to caffeine.

Scientific example:

Geneticists working at the Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne, Switzerland, have discovered a gene treatment that can turn regular mice into "mighty mice" capable of running at speeds twice as fast as normal, reports New Scientist.

The gene therapy not only allows mice to run faster, it also gives them increased endurance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I have never heard if it being done, using willpower to negate drugs and poisons is getting into the realm of the Jedi (KOTOR 2).
    Would be cool if it actually worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    To an extent, I'd say yes. Adrenaline can be a powerful thing. You can, basically through willpower, force your body in to overdrive. It can make you do miraculous things, and even stave off death for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    To an extent, I'd say yes. Adrenaline can be a powerful thing. You can, basically through willpower, force your body in to overdrive. It can make you do miraculous things, and even stave off death for some time.
    Adrenaline isn't something you can will your body to produce. Its unlike when you will your hands to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Adrenaline isn't something you can will your body to produce. Its unlike when you will your hands to move.
    Obviously you can't just tell your body to start producing it. You can force it indirectly, though. If you want something badly enough, your body knows when you need it. It has to be triggered by some outside event, but there would be no reason for it if you weren't going to do something with it.

Deleted
    Obviously you can't just tell your body to start producing it. You can force it indirectly, though. If you want something badly enough, your body knows when you need it. It has to be triggered by some outside event, but there would be no reason for it if you weren't going to do something with it.
    Not to the extent that the OP is on about though, adrenaline can do some amazing things, but too much is deadly.

Hm, in the end obviously no. However I always thought that a big part of the reason I never blackout or have memory gaps after drinking is my extreme need to be in control all the time for ever and ever. So I do think that you can resist stuff to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Self-hypnosis is a powerful weapon! Usually you use it to go in the other direction, though.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted

Can it be done?
    Yes, it can be done. Either through natural release of adrenaline or when you've had a lot of cocaine up your nose. (kinda like the movie Scarface, where he just keeps standing after being shot a bunch of times)

Anyway, from will power alone? I don't think so.
    Maybe through will power you get slightly better at resisting it, but you won't be able to negate it completely, it's too powerful for that.

You can't will away basic biological processes. You can enhance it for a time, but eventually it will happen.

Deleted
    As poster above said, biology is biology and no willpower can change that.

Can it be done?
    You can stave off some secondary effects of certain things on your body - e.g. you can will yourself not to be cold in freezing weather or not feel the heat when you grab a scalding hot object (note that you'll still get frostbite and third degree burns, you just won't feel it at the time).

Since I have no idea how sleeping gas works, I am not going to jump in on that discussion, but there are people who are somewhat resistant to taser / pepper spray (through higher pain thresholds or lower facial sensitivity)

Well ok then. I might have been watching too much movies but yeah lol.

Deleted
    will power is to do or do not something in a state of full self-control.
    You have to have full control of your mind and body to actually 'use' will power.

no need to go all wizard about it.

To a certain/questionable extent possibly but to totally negate? No.

The closest thing I've read of is monks who can raise and lower their body temperatures while they're sitting peacefully on the floor. I'm sure they could negate things to a certain extent, probably not all the way though.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The closest thing I've read of is monks who can raise and lower their body temperatures while they're sitting peacefully on the floor. I'm sure they could negate things to a certain extent, probably not all the way though.
    I was reading this and read it as power level first, no joke.