Thread: Keyboard Ideas?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,216

    Saitek Eclipse.

    Compleatly battered. WSAD and half the space bar "paint" and lettering have been worn away, And its still going strong after 7 years Not bad for £30. Have heard of Mechanical Keyboards costing tripple that breaking switches that are newer than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  2. #42
    The Lightbringer Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Standing in the Fire, as always.
    Posts
    3,971
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...er-x4-keyboard

    Sidewinder x4. Not mechanical, but does the job, and is not as pricey as those other keyboards!

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 05:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Saitek Eclipse.

    Compleatly battered. WSAD and half the space bar "paint" and lettering have been worn away, And its still going strong after 7 years Not bad for £30. Have heard of Mechanical Keyboards costing tripple that breaking switches that are newer than mine.
    You must have been lucky with that keyboard, mine was one of the worst things I've ever bought...

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Death-Reaper View Post
    Hi I know there is loads of these threads but I just can't decide sooooo.....
    What keyboard/gaming keyboard has everyone got? Specialised for mmo if gaming maybe?

    Pref not over like £130 Thanks if anyone helps
    http://www.njoy.ro/keyboards/gmk310

    12 EUR, you're welcome.

  4. #44
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Sham101 View Post
    It's not elitist to not want to waste money on a shitty, flimsy, pure rice keyboard loaded with useless shit like LCD screens and backlighting.
    My K90 keyboard is not shitty.

    -It is sturdy as all hell, aliminium plated, so there goes that argument of yours out the window
    -Backlighting is useful
    -It is still mechanical, just as your precious Ducky
    -It does not have an LCD screen

  5. #45
    Thanks everyone
    Think I will go for the k90 or the g710+

  6. #46
    Bloodsail Admiral nerdjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    My K90 keyboard is not shitty.

    -It is sturdy as all hell, aliminium plated, so there goes that argument of yours out the window
    -Backlighting is useful
    -It is still mechanical, just as your precious Ducky
    -It does not have an LCD screen
    He wasn't talking about just your board; it was clearly a generalization towards a group of companies that produce products oriented around visual appeal. If you really want to get Geekhacky though:

    • Sturdy is just a relative term. Any plate mounting is in a different league than most keyboards, but I'm pretty sure aluminum is still comparatively flimsy when measured against the steel plates most high-end mechanicals use.
    • Backlighting is an unnecessary visual feature that drives up your product's price. Unless you often play in a dark room and can't touch type, it really serves no function; furthermore I can't imagine why anyone would want a glare emanating from their keyboard while attempting to use a computer in the dark.
    • It's mostly mechanical. You're also forced into one switch type which could be a major drawback for anyone that already has a preference.
    • It may not have a screen, but it has some other features some people might not be interested in. In particular, the 20-key rollover through usb would be concerning to me. I assume that means nonstandard usb behaviour through report format hacks, which would mean if you ever need to use this thing in a nonwindows environment (i.e. bios) you're looking at potential incompatability and nonfunctionality.

    There's no dichotomy among peripherals--what's acceptable to you might not be for others.

  7. #47
    The CM Storm Trigger is definitely worth a look too, got mine in MX Blacks which are actually really nice for both gaming and typing. Coupled with the fancy backlights and the very solid build quality I think it's definitely worth a look
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX 660TI Power Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: CM Storm Enforcer | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB PSU: CM GX 650W Bronze Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX

    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zazu/advanced

  8. #48
    steelseries 6gv2. can't see myself changing it any time soon. the switches are nice, the size is perfect and it can take a battering. literally. you can bash the keyboard when you rage or even pick it up and bang it on the desk. xD very durable, comfortable and it's also at a very good price point!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    steelseries 6gv2. can't see myself changing it any time soon. the switches are nice, the size is perfect and it can take a battering. literally. you can bash the keyboard when you rage or even pick it up and bang it on the desk. xD very durable, comfortable and it's also at a very good price point!
    Problem I had with the 6g was the lack of wrist rest. I felt that it was just a bit too thick to not have a wrist rest, ends up hurting your wrists after a few hours. But yeah it's definitely a solid choice if you aren't bothered about the whole wrist rest thing.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX 660TI Power Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: CM Storm Enforcer | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB PSU: CM GX 650W Bronze Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX

    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zazu/advanced

  10. #50
    Moderator Skarsguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ravenloft usually
    Posts
    2,515
    If you want a good relatively cheap keyboard get the Sidewinder from Microsoft if you want a higher end keyboard get a K90 from Corsair though I would wait for the K95 /drool.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-03-02 at 09:27 PM.

  11. #51
    Recently got a Qpad mx 50, apart from back lighting which the higher models have, it is a great keyboard and i considerably prefer it to my Logitech G15

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    My K90 keyboard is not shitty.

    -It is sturdy as all hell, aliminium plated, so there goes that argument of yours out the window
    -Backlighting is useful
    -It is still mechanical, just as your precious Ducky
    -It does not have an LCD screen
    I never said I used a Ducky board, I never said the K90 had an lcd. Backlighting is only useful if you can't touch type and just drives up prices.

    Why so angry and defensive, If you want to spend more money on l33t epic pro gamer glowy buttons and only one choice in switches that is your choice, I don't care how you spend your money.
    Last edited by Sham101; 2013-03-02 at 10:34 PM.

  13. #53
    Brewmaster Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Sham101 View Post
    I never said I used a Ducky board, I never said the K90 had an lcd. Backlighting is only useful if you can't touch type and just drives up prices.

    Why so angry and defensive, If you want to spend more money on l33t epic pro gamer glowy buttons and only one choice in switches that is your choice, I don't care how you spend your money.
    So now because it has backlighting, only one choice of key switches and "costs more" (really, it is $20-30 less than a comparable Ducky) the K90 is l337? Really, stop the hate.

    Also, the K90 is made fairly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    So now because it has backlighting, only one choice of key switches and "costs more" (really, it is $20-30 less than a comparable Ducky) the K90 is l337? Really, stop the hate.

    Also, the K90 is made fairly well.
    When did I say to buy a ducky? And don't pretend these keyboards aren't marketed as pro 1337 gamer items. The prices obviously do go up with useless things like back lighting and mini lcd screens. I also never said K90 is an overall bad keyboard I said back lighting is useless and only being able to have red switches also sucks if you don't like reds.

    I don't hate the K90. I dislike these "gaming keyboards" from certain companies who give you less choice, more useless features just to bump up their prices.

    Like I said before, I don't care if people want to buy semi mechanical keyboards with pointless features and a bumped up price tag because of the pointless features.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Logitech g710+ hands down. Epic quality. Replaced my old K90.
    Lemmi, how do you like the g710+ I just ordered it for tuesday ship date. I had the older Logitech G15 and moved to this cuz best buy had it for 100 instead of 150 and i had 35$ in reward zone coupons so i scooped it up for 70$ after taxes.

    The biggest feature I am looking for is the quiet keys. Its mechanical but that since each key has a dampener really sold me as I play late night and dont want the clickety-clack booming through the house like most mechanical keyboards are victims of.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Lemmi, how do you like the g710+ I just ordered it for tuesday ship date. I had the older Logitech G15 and moved to this cuz best buy had it for 100 instead of 150 and i had 35$ in reward zone coupons so i scooped it up for 70$ after taxes.

    The biggest feature I am looking for is the quiet keys. Its mechanical but that since each key has a dampener really sold me as I play late night and dont want the clickety-clack booming through the house like most mechanical keyboards are victims of.
    I've tried the g710+ in the stores and it is a really solid keyboard, sadly it only comes with MX Brown which I can't stand, to me they feel like MX Red with soda or sand in the switches. Some people love the browns switches though, hope you are one of them.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  17. #57
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Sham101 View Post
    When did I say to buy a ducky? And don't pretend these keyboards aren't marketed as pro 1337 gamer items. The prices obviously do go up with useless things like back lighting and mini lcd screens. I also never said K90 is an overall bad keyboard I said back lighting is useless and only being able to have red switches also sucks if you don't like reds.

    I don't hate the K90. I dislike these "gaming keyboards" from certain companies who give you less choice, more useless features just to bump up their prices.

    Like I said before, I don't care if people want to buy semi mechanical keyboards with pointless features and a bumped up price tag because of the pointless features.
    Oh come on:
    - The backlighting is nice to see, I game in the dark a LOT, I really do.
    - Semi mechanical: the only thing not mechanical about it as far as I know is the G-keys and the menu above the arrow keys, I barely use those and the G-keys are never used.
    - Who cares if it is marketed like a gaming keyboard, all that matters is that it is mechanical and is a nice keyboard.
    -The switches..well that's true, would be nice if they came in other colors.
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2013-03-03 at 01:52 AM.

  18. #58
    I have a corsair k90, I love it.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

  19. #59
    Pandaren Monk solvexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    I will never understand why people buy showy keyboards, it's so fucking pretentious. Just buy a mechanical keyboard with the kind of switches you want and lit keys if you game in the dark. All these Corsair, Logitech and Razer boards are just pieces of shit designed to look good enough to waste money on.

    If you want a good keyboard get a Rosewill, Filco, Ducky, Leopold, Happy Hacking, Topre Realforce, Deck, WASD or Das Keyboard. You know, keyboards made by actual keyboard companies.
    Most of those companies don't even make their own keyboards.
    Note why they all look the same and come from the same place, warehouse and manufacturer.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sham101 View Post
    When did I say to buy a ducky? And don't pretend these keyboards aren't marketed as pro 1337 gamer items. The prices obviously do go up with useless things like back lighting and mini lcd screens. I also never said K90 is an overall bad keyboard I said back lighting is useless and only being able to have red switches also sucks if you don't like reds.

    I don't hate the K90. I dislike these "gaming keyboards" from certain companies who give you less choice, more useless features just to bump up their prices.

    Like I said before, I don't care if people want to buy semi mechanical keyboards with pointless features and a bumped up price tag because of the pointless features.
    Four posts on the subject says you do care. Why? Want to be a real penny-pincher? Do something with a higher return than sitting on a gaming pc.

    I use a Black Widow and I don't really love it. The little bezel isn't pronounced so touch-typing is harder. It seems louder than is necessary and was apparently expensive as hell (wife bought it for me as a gift). I don't play enough to notice a drastic difference from my old Saitek Cyborg, which I loved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •