England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy

Hard Drive about to die ?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2971/harddrivex.jpg

Got a windows message saying that there was a problem with one of my media drives, on further investigation found out that it is a "Seek Error Rate" Failure.
    Not entirely sure how bad this is as its the first time I have had drive failing message from windows.

Anyone got a clue of how serious it is, and if it is serious how long the drive will last before it dies completely ?
    Last edited by Sigma; 2013-03-02 at 02:59 AM.

I would run Seatools diagnostic to see if it comes up with an error as well, but it's pretty safe to say that if a drive is known to be failing, then you should act like it will die immediately. This isn't something you can "Ill take care of that later" with.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

Yeah, im in the process of shifting nearly 2tb of TV shows to other drives / computers at the moment. Also waiting on seatools to finish a diagnostic.

Sucks really as the drive is less than 3 months old :/

This is a seagate, right? Well they only give one year warranty so I don't think it's wise to have a seagate as a choice? I know they're cheaper and maybe faster especially the 7200.14 series but you're never excluded to issues in the future. If you only use drives as storage just go for a WD red or green. A blue would be great for frapsing.. Black is great for having 5 years warranty but they make the most noise of them all.

Sucks really as the drive is less than 3 months old :/
    I wouldn't say that's normal, but that's actually.... normal.

Most hardware, drives specifically, will likely die within the first few months, or somewhere around their MTBF lifespan (~4 years or ~7 years, depending on quality). Of course, shit happens too, but statistically speaking... A drive will fail in under 3 months, or over 5 years, and rarely in between under normal conditions. That why whenever I upgrade to a new drive, I wait a few months before selling or repurposing the old one.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

well after trying various things, including zero filling the drive and running seatools, looks like its going back to the manufacturer :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    well after trying various things, including zero filling the drive and running seatools, looks like its going back to the manufacturer :/
    Try via the shop? Replace it with the 1TB platters series, 7200.14 models.