how does "too many instances recently" work?

hi!

soo, i rarely do 5 mans for transmog whatever, but i got an urge to earlier. i've known about the "you have entered too many instances recently" thing for years, but i have always thought it was 5 per hour and then it resets.

i finished 5 instances and waited a few minutes because i was just a few minutes away from an hour from when i had started my first run. after a few minutes, it let me do a 6th run. after i finished my 6th run, it gave me the message once again and im not sure why... could someone clarify the exact rules? i guess there is more to it than just 5/hour and reset? :/

Deleted
    The reset counts 1 hour after 5th instance i think

Deleted
    Every new instance you enter starts a 1hour timer for that instance. If you have 5 timers running at the same time, you can't enter more instances till one of the timers runs out. You can use an addon like SavedInstances to keep track of this more easily.

What you're running into is that in the 6th run you cleared it faster than in the 1st run. So when you try to enter for a 7th run, you'll have to wait till it's an hour ago when you started your 2nd run.
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2013-03-02 at 08:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure it's set up so you can't run more than 5 instances an hour.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    hi!

soo, i rarely do 5 mans for transmog whatever, but i got an urge to earlier. i've known about the "you have entered too many instances recently" thing for years, but i have always thought it was 5 per hour and then it resets.

i finished 5 instances and waited a few minutes because i was just a few minutes away from an hour from when i had started my first run. after a few minutes, it let me do a 6th run. after i finished my 6th run, it gave me the message once again and im not sure why... could someone clarify the exact rules? i guess there is more to it than just 5/hour and reset? :/
    It will check 'have you entered 5 instances in the past 60 minutes. That's all there is to it =) I've done countless mount and transmog runs so I'm speaking from experience.

counter is account wide.

You can enter 5 instances within a one hour period

If you started your first instance at 1 server, you cannot begin your 6th instance until 2 server.

If for example you are chain running an instance to boost a lowbie, or for transmog gear, each run must take a minimum of 12 minutes. 12 x 5 = 60. If your runs take less than 12 minutes you run the risk of instance capping and will get the too many instances message and will have to wait the remainder of the time left on the hour since your first instance began.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

thanks for your help everyone! i love how quick you all were!