Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,574

    5 reasons why 4th spec could be in the next WoW Expansion

    Disclaimer:

    I am not saying that it is certain that 4th specs are the next feature in WoW, only that it is the most sensible. In truth, I have no idea what's coming in the next expansion, but if I had to guess, it would be 4th spec. Read on to find out why.

    Introduction

    In November, we're going to find out what the next expansion will be based on. Considering that success or failure of Cataclysm and MoP, we can only speculate what the next expansion will be about. However, one thing that is true is that every expansion, WoW introduces a new race or class into the game.

    In MoP, Blizzard took an interesting turn; They introduced both a race and a class into the game. This makes the next expansion's content even more intriguing because it breaks the cycle of game additions that Blizzard has followed since the Burning Crusade.

    So what's coming next? My guess is 4th specs. Here are the 5 reasons why I believe that such a development is not only possible, but the most logical direction for Blizzard to take the game.

    1. Additional specs would rekindle interests in the old classes.

    The addition of new specs to the existing classes would make these old classes more interesting to a wide swath of people who are potentially no longer interested in WoW. Most of these specs have existed in their present form for almost a decade. A new spec would not only reinvigorate those older specs, but the entire class as a whole. For example, the Shaman player who grew frustrated that Blizzard wouldn't allow Shaman tanking or 2H Enhancement could come back to the game if such an option was offered via 4th spec. Furthermore, an additional spec could add a level of complexity or variety that is currently missing from WoW but is present in other MMOs.

    2.Any new race or class addition would eclipse the additions from MoP.

    Monks and Pandaren were recently added to the game via the MoP expansion last year. As of this writing (March 2013), they are still the least played Race and class in the game. Any new race or class additions would cause this status to continue. It's not a huge problem with Pandaren, since having a least played race doesn't really effect things much, but the Monk class surfing the bottom of the heap is a very big problem, since it is a new class that simply hasn't taken off for a variety of reasons. A new class, or especially a new hero class could make that status permanent, and cause a lot of problems for the class in terms of balance and future class design. In short, Monks and Pandaren need their time to grow into their new roles as a new race and class in WoW. Introducing a new class or race could undo all of that, and make their implementation pointless in the long run.

    3. Lack of new races that can be sensibly implemented into the game.

    Let's face it, there just isn't many choices left in terms of a future WoW race. I've seen some people suggest Ogres and Nagas. Honestly though, those options simply aren't realistic beyond fanboy fantasies. Most race suggestions come with loads of problems, both in terms of gameplay and lore itself. Blood Elves, Draenei, Goblins, Worgens, and Pandaren were all OBVIOUS future races for the game. There simply are no other races that are on that level of popularity or inevitability. Blizzard could just make something up, but seriously, who would really want to play something that Blizzard just pulled out of its butt for the sake of an expansion?

    Also let's not forget that Blizzard is currently working on remodeling the Vanilla races.

    4. 4th specs fill holes so that we don't need new classes that overlap with existing classes!

    Yeah, I want a Demon Hunter class. I would love to see a Demon Hunter class. There's two ways Blizzard could do a Demon Hunter class; Either create an entirely new Hero class into the game, or make it the Warlock 4th spec utilizing Dark Apotheosis as a template. The latter is a lot easier, and will (over time) satisfy Demon Hunter fans whether they want to admit it or not. People want a Necromancer class? Death Knight 4th spec. Blademaster? Warrior 4th spec. Warden? Hunter 4th spec, and on and on. Implementing this into the game plugs up the class demands, and allows players to finally get those Warcraft 3-inspired classes they always wanted.


    5. The end of the pure classes.

    Is there a reason for pure classes anymore? I have yet to see one logical purpose for their existence in modern WoW. They simply no longer serve much purpose except for clogging up the LFD queue. Also, Hybrid specs are not only competitive, in some cases they're actually doing better at the DPS job than the pures themselves. Throughout Cataclysm, two of the best DPS specs were Balance Druids and Shadow Priests. I bet it made Mages happy that the Druid who could also tank and heal could also out DPS them as well. In short, pure specs make no sense in modern WoW anymore.

    Not only are hybrids nipping at their heals in the DPS department, but pure specs are loaded with utility spells anyway. So why not just give all the pure specs a hybrid 4th spec and allow them to join modern WoW? It just makes sense at this point, and adding a 4th spec wouldn't interfere with the other three DPS specs. So if you love your Rogue DPS specs, you'll still have them, but now you'll also have a healing or tanking spec that would make your Rogue much more valuable in groups, and much more popular.

    Conclusion

    Obviously, this could all be wrong and something else entirely different may be planned for the next expansion. We'll know in 8 short months. However, I feel that Blizzard would be missing a big opportunity to revitalize their game if they decide to not go with the 4th spec concept. The Monk and Pandaren implementation proved that people still love their old classes, so reinvigorating those classes would be a great way to secure the game's life for years to come. I know of several ex-Shaman players who would resub today if Blizzard announced a 4th spec Shaman tank.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-03-02 at 08:50 PM.

  2. #2
    "A new class, or especially a new hero class could make that status permanent, and cause a lot of problems for the class in terms of balance"
    And adding a 4th spec would not...?
    With the 11 classes we got 33 different specs, adding 4th tree would be like adding 3-4 more classes, i dont see them adding a 4th spec for every class, MAYBE tank for shaman and/or warlock, but thats stretching it
    I put the laughter in manslaughter
    Blood DK problems: to many ppl at daily place, cant pull 8packs *cries*
    BF3>CoD Cola>Pepsi PC>Mac Xbox>PS3

  3. #3

  4. #4
    love the idea, but not gonna happen. blizzard has a hard enough time tuning all 3 monk specs this xpac, they're not gonna add 11 new specs (in addition to the expected spell changes/additions) the next xpac. its gonna take em till the next xpac to just get the 3 monk specs right. 11 new specs...no way. they'll just add on races next xpac.

  5. #5
    I'd like to see a rogue who heals using energy/mana combination, similar to monks. Using potions (not like current potions) and healing daggers or something. Sort of like how monks can melee to heal a bit. But rogues would be much more DPS focussed while healing. Obviously tough to balance, butj ust an example. Can make warlock tanks too (I think they have been wanting this). Paladin caster dps makes sense with denounce, wog, shock etc.

    There's plenty to do here. Monk ranged DPS makes sense too with that one lightning spell they have.

  6. #6
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    "A new class, or especially a new hero class could make that status permanent, and cause a lot of problems for the class in terms of balance"
    And adding a 4th spec would not...?
    With the 11 classes we got 33 different specs, adding 4th tree would be like adding 3-4 more classes, i dont see them adding a 4th spec for every class, MAYBE tank for shaman and/or warlock, but thats stretching it
    Since we are talking about a whole class (3 standard specs) they should atleast add a 4th spec to each pure DPS class to turn us into hybrids. It is time to stop this "PURE" classes and just turn everyone into hybrids. I can think of several ways for this to work. Warlocks turning into demons to tank, Rogues evasion tanking and Hunters taking full control of their pets (while the hunter autoshots!) kind of like a tank Eye of the Beast form Though maybe not all three as tanks, so split it up somewhat. However Hunter tanking is the only thing I can see fit for them.

  7. #7
    All your points are easily refuted though, so how "obvious" is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    1. Additional specs would rekindle interests in the old classes.
    The new class/race was a major selling point of each expansion to draw in new players. The only ones who would care about a 4th spec would be existing or former players, and the level of interest even among those groups is questionable. I would say that the average WoW player (the ones who generally don't read forums, much more likely to be a casual player) would probably be underwhelmed if we got only 4th specs instead of a new race of class. There is also the issue of druids, who would basically be left out of what you are saying would be the major new addition of the next expansion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    2.Any new race or class addition would eclipse the additions from MoP.
    This has never been true for any previous race or class that has been added in, and it won't be true now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    3. Lack of new races that can be sensibly implemented into the game.
    This is a highly subjective statement, and one that I personally would argue is not true. All you are basically saying is that you don't like any of the ideas that have been presented. But that is your opinion only, and just because YOU do not think they would fit does not mean that it is impossible for that to happen. Many people felt Pandaren did not belong in WoW. Same with playable Worgen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    4. 4th specs fill holes so that we don't need new classes that overlap with existing classes!
    So 4th specs would increase individual class complexity, and massively increase the complexity of the game overall, for no other reason than to fill limited design spaces that could not be fleshed out into a whole class. Simply to appease people who, for example, want a hunter that doesn't actually play like a hunter but really is more like a cross between a warrior and a rogue who happens to wear mail armor.

    A new class adds 3 specs to the game, and has been notoriously difficult to balance, though they are doing better with monks than they did with DKs. Adding a 4th spec adds 10 new specs to the game. All of which have to be balanced against every other spec to some degree. Blizzard is having a hard enough time balancing 34. How would making it 44 help the situation. Plus, again, you are leaving druids out in the cold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    5. The end of the pure classes.
    There are people that do not want to have a tanking and/or healing spec. At all. Even if they never use it. They do not even want the possibility to exist that someone would ask them to do anything but DPS. Plus, by saying that, you are pretty much limiting possible additions to mages, hunters, warlocks, and rogues to either a tanking or healing spec.



    Honestly, it could be cool. And I wouldn't be upset if that is the direction that Blizzard goes. But to say that it is the most logical and obvious choice Blizzard could make is stretching the bounds of logic in the extreme. One could just as easily argue that it is the least logical choice Blizzard could make. I get the feeling that this is more an issue of "I want to play Class Concept X but realize there is not enough demand or design space for it to ever be implemented, so I'll settle for a spec that incorporates most of what I want" than it is an actual desire for every class to have a 4th spec. The balancing would be a nightmare. The addition to gameplay is extremely limited. And by itself it is not enough to be a major selling point for an expansion.
    Last edited by Gurbz; 2013-03-02 at 05:40 PM.
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,723
    It would be both a balancing nightmare and a lot of work; and for what? I don't think tanking on a rogue is the feature holding back more subscribers.
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

  9. #9
    I hope for Blizzard to actually take this step, as much as I doubt it.

    You got one big flaw in point 3 though. Lore-wise, some races like Draenei (seriously, MANY people were majorly annoyed with this whole retconning and the whole race was just made up in WoW - Broken in WC3 weren't exactly what they were made to be in WoW), Goblins (Bilgewater goblins were almost extinct lore-wise and Azshara seems to be full of them), Blood Elves siding with the Horde and thus the Forsaken (all made up in WoW) and so on don't make all that much sense... I don't mean to attack Blizzard regarding their lore or anything, but they can make up whatever they want.

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Satanous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    375
    No thanks, the killed my druid with a fourth spec don't wish that on others.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    It would be both a balancing nightmare and a lot of work; and for what? I don't think tanking on a rogue is the feature holding back more subscribers.
    More like shuriken/axe/dagger throwing rogue, e.g. range

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    More like shuriken/axe/dagger throwing rogue, e.g. range
    I think all the caster rage quits that is going to cause will cost them more subs then they gain. Congrats you rooted and ran away from the rogue, lol joking he's still doing 25k dps on you.
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

  13. #13
    Immortal Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,477
    Lack of new races that can be sensibly implemented into the game.
    Not really, there are plenty of races that still make sense. However I don't understand why new specs would be a good substitute for additional races. They have nothing to do with each other. Races are mostly cosmetic while specs/classes have an effect on balance and gameplay. If anything, they will decide between adding a new class and adding new specs.

    4th specs fill holes so that we don't need new classes that overlap with existing classes!
    We don't need new classes just as well as we don't need new specs. Classes will be added to the game because it's fun to play new classes.

    The end of the pure classes.
    See, that's a negative point. People who play pure classes very often play them because they want to be a pure class.

    Regarding 4th specs and pure classes this largely reflects my opinion.

    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...f-Pure-Classes

  14. #14
    I can't help but feel that people who play druid as main like me will feel pretty bad if they add new spec for every class except druid because druid already has 4 specs.....

  15. #15
    Immortal Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I can't help but feel that people who play druid as main like me will feel pretty bad if they add new spec for every class except druid because druid already has 4 specs.....
    One of the reasons I doubt they'll do it. Plus not every class really has enough potential for a 4th spec. People only suggest it because they want Shaman tanking and Warlock tanking.

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    All your points are easily refuted though, so how "obvious" is it really?



    The new class/race was a major selling point of each expansion to draw in new players. The only ones who would care about a 4th spec would be existing or former players, and the level of interest even among those groups is questionable. I would say that the average WoW player (the ones who generally don't read forums, much more likely to be a casual player) would probably be underwhelmed if we got only 4th specs instead of a new race of class. There is also the issue of druids, who would basically be left out of what you are saying would be the major new addition of the next expansion.
    Using that argument, why would new players care about being able to play a Worgen or a Goblin? The only folks who should care about that (using your argument) are people who play WoW. In reality, any new feature if properly advertised could pull in new players. There's plenty of players out there who want to tank as a Rogue, or be a Ranger spec that doesn't have a pet, but can't due to current spec limitations. I think this would have pretty wide appeal. Not only does it not add a new class that tends to overshadow the older classes, but it enhances the older classes so that people who may have gotten bored with their Paladin or Mage in Cataclysm or even MoP may resub just to give the updated class a test drive.

    This has never been true for any previous race or class that has been added in, and it won't be true now.
    Re-read the reasons and get back to me. Just because you deny it doesn't make it so. Pandaren and Monks are in a precarious place right now in WoW. They need an additional expansion to establish themselves as a legitimate part of the game.

    This is a highly subjective statement, and one that I personally would argue is not true. All you are basically saying is that you don't like any of the ideas that have been presented. But that is your opinion only, and just because YOU do not think they would fit does not mean that it is impossible for that to happen. Many people felt Pandaren did not belong in WoW. Same with playable Worgen.
    Anyone who said that Pandaren don't belong as a WoW race needed to brush up on their lore. Worgen were wildly popular and it was only a matter of time before they became a playable race. BTW, I never said it was impossible for Blizzard to introduce Ogres or Naga, just highly unlikely or unrealistic given their lore and place in the game.


    So 4th specs would increase individual class complexity, and massively increase the complexity of the game overall, for no other reason than to fill limited design spaces that could not be fleshed out into a whole class. Simply to appease people who, for example, want a hunter that doesn't actually play like a hunter but really is more like a cross between a warrior and a rogue who happens to wear mail armor.

    A new class adds 3 specs to the game, and has been notoriously difficult to balance, though they are doing better with monks than they did with DKs. Adding a 4th spec adds 10 new specs to the game. All of which have to be balanced against every other spec to some degree. Blizzard is having a hard enough time balancing 34. How would making it 44 help the situation. Plus, again, you are leaving druids out in the cold.
    Really? Did Blizzard say that they're having a hard time balancing the game, or is that just your opinion based on nothing? Also I disagree that Wardens play like a Rogue and a Warrior. They play more like a Rogue and a Mage.

    There are people that do not want to have a tanking and/or healing spec. At all. Even if they never use it. They do not even want the possibility to exist that someone would ask them to do anything but DPS. Plus, by saying that, you are pretty much limiting possible additions to mages, hunters, warlocks, and rogues to either a tanking or healing spec.
    The people who don't want to tank or heal still don't have to tank or heal. There are plenty of hybrid players who don't tank or heal either, they just DPS. What's the harm in allowing Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Rogues a few more role options and spec diversity? The beauty of 4th spec is that they still get to keep the three DPS specs they know and love, and newer players will enter the ranks of those classes and find new reasons to enjoy those classes that they may have viewed as too limiting or boring. I just don't get why DPS players are so afraid of opening their class up a bit to a new OPTION in their playstyle.


    Honestly, it could be cool. And I wouldn't be upset if that is the direction that Blizzard goes. But to say that it is the most logical and obvious choice Blizzard could make is stretching the bounds of logic in the extreme. One could just as easily argue that it is the least logical choice Blizzard could make. I get the feeling that this is more an issue of "I want to play Class Concept X but realize there is not enough demand or design space for it to ever be implemented, so I'll settle for a spec that incorporates most of what I want" than it is an actual desire for every class to have a 4th spec. The balancing would be a nightmare. The addition to gameplay is extremely limited. And by itself it is not enough to be a major selling point for an expansion.
    Well let's break apart your three main issues one by one;

    1.There is not enough design space for it ever to be implemented.

    Since no one except Blizzard know what their design limits are, this argument is irrelevant.

    2. The balancing would be a nightmare.

    This argument is used for any suggested addition to the game. Since Blizzard literally resets class balance every expansion because something new is introduced every expansion, balance will always be a "nightmare".

    3. The addition to gameplay is extremely limited and is not a major selling point for an expansion.

    Actually it would be a pretty major selling point for an expansion. I explained why earlier in this response. As for an extremely limited addition to gameplay, I think that is a fairly ridiculous statement. Pushing pure DPS specs into hybrid territory is a pretty huge addition to gameplay all by itself, much less the additions to the other classes. Anyone want to take a stab at how many Shaman would reroll into the tanking spec, how many locks would reroll into a Tanking or Demon Hunter spec, or how many Paladins would immediately reroll into a ranged caster spec? This would cause a pretty major shift in how the game is played. Something that is sorely needed, and long overdue (IMO).

  17. #17
    Stood in the Fire RyokuchaMidori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    382
    5 reasons why 4th spec will not be the next expansion.

    1) Creating a 4th spec for 10 classes would be a huge amount of work, presumably better spent elsewhere (on thing like pet battle and such)

    2) Balance in pve and pvp will be even harder.

    3) Druids will rage, because they'll want a 5th spec to restore the balance, and probably another form.

    4) This does not help at all the retaking of Gnomeregan.

    5) The 4th Hunter spec, would be a spec that makes you play the pet and have the hunter as a pet, and since pets don't have that many abilities, it would be boring, on top of that pet don't talk, so you would not be able to talk with your character (the pet), and you would be in melee range while your pet (the hunter) would be behind you, and this is awkard and impractical.
    Last edited by RyokuchaMidori; 2013-03-02 at 06:43 PM.
    "Skill, as the world of warcraft goes, is only in question between equals in pvp power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

    Thucydides : " The Melian dialogue".

  18. #18
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,958
    Maybe if the 4th specc is a pvp specc?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Avada Kedavra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MN - USA
    Posts
    1,060
    Its a great idea, but why not call it the "great WOW, Rift, Diablo mashup"

    Right now there is individuality with the game. they are currently stuck in a complex network of intricacies with class/spell/environment interaction, where A LOT of decisions that seem to be a amazing great idea, but there is a butterfly affect. Adding all of those into wow would be next to impossible. or would at the very least break something.

    IMO it would be cool to see, but this late, it seems impractical. Now if we were in vanilla or BC maybe there were half as many spells and general junk our toons have now.

  20. #20
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    See, that's a negative point. People who play pure classes very often play them because they want to be a pure class.

    Regarding 4th specs and pure classes this largely reflects my opinion.

    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...f-Pure-Classes
    I enjoyed that video. He makes a lot of great points. My argument was more along the lines of what purpose do they have in modern WoW? The only thing you can really say at this point is that people like to play 3 DPS specs. The 4th spec concept doesn't change that, and like the guy said in the video, it avoids the problem that occurred when Blizzard turned Blood DKs into the tank spec and ticked off a lot of former Blood DPS users.

    That could also explain why Blizzard was hesitant with making Demonology a tanking spec in MoP. There is certainly a demand for it though, and again 4th spec would satisfy both camps.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 06:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RyokuchaMidori View Post

    3) Druids will rage, because they'll want a 5th spec to restore the balance, and probably another form.
    Actually the game is off balance now since Druids have a 4th spec and everyone else has three. Adding 4th specs would restore that balance.

    5) The 4th Hunter spec, would be a spec that makes you play the pet and have the hunter as a pet, and since pets don't have that many abilities, it would be boring, on top of that pet don't talk, so you would not be able to talk with your character (the pet), and you would be in melee range while your pet (the hunter) would be behind you, and this is awkard and impractical.
    Actually, I believe that Marksmanship should be the petless spec, and the 4th spec could either be tanking or healing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •