1. #1
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    8.6 LY away from home
    Posts
    695

    gw2 music... is there more?

    I'm only level 24 and have only experienced a few of the human zones and I am wondering:

    Is there more than 1 music track? So far I've only ever heard 1 song throughout every part of the game I've been in so far. Game music is one of the major reasons I stick with games. I love(d) the music in WoW and the music in EVE is also absolutely unforgettable/epic.

  2. #2
    The soundtrack while awesome is kinda sparse, iirc. There isn't much of it and repeats a lot.

  3. #3
    I've never felt like too much in any of them. Maybe you are hanging out at the same places? Idk. 24 levels isn't much either.

    And now I've seen them adding better music on some Big Group events between patches. So it's definitely improving.
    I know there is a feature you can change the folder with your own music if you wish. Might want to look at that?

    Aside from that I think their music is probably one of the best out there (not by quantity tho)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Aside from that I think their music is probably one of the best out there (not by quantity tho)
    Heh, that seems to be the m.o. of Soule. His music is really grand abut there never seems to be enough of it regardless of game- Morrowind, Skyrim, Icewind Dale, original Guild Wars, et cetera.

    [I usually play games with only sound effects audible.]

  5. #5
    Well, I have all PvE map completion and can honestly only even recall maybe 4 tunes. (Each racial zone seems to have its own theme.)

    I am usually big on game soundtracks. I own quite a few, including WoW's, but GW2's music just hasn't done it for me. The only theme I can recall that I remotely like is what plays in the Ascalonian zones. The rest is, I don't know, generic? It all sounds like stuff I've heard before and wasn't impressed by the first time. Nothing against Soule, I did like the music in Skyrim, but GW2's just isn't my thing, I guess.

  6. #6
    There's 78 tracks (based on the Original Game Soundtrack), however, they are all based on a common theme - which means that sometimes, unless you're listening closely, different tracks will sound like the same; even while the specifics of the tracks are unique, they have a common main theme (which also hearkens back to the GW1 main theme).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,900
    Here ya go:

    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3C1D0C494F0D4481

    Not complete by any means, there's tons more. Different music in the dungeons, different music for personal stories, different music for holidays, etc.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  8. #8
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    8.6 LY away from home
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    There's 78 tracks (based on the Original Game Soundtrack), however, they are all based on a common theme - which means that sometimes, unless you're listening closely, different tracks will sound like the same; even while the specifics of the tracks are unique, they have a common main theme (which also hearkens back to the GW1 main theme).
    hmm, interesting. i'm going to pay closer attention now and check it out. it's funny, there's part of one song that totally reminds me of a song from Sim City, not sure which one though, probably 3000.

  9. #9
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    IIRC cant you enable your own music files into the game? Would make sense why there is a shortage of in game music.

  10. #10
    You can enable your own music, but it just replaces the standard music events. There are only 8 possible events you can customize.

    So enabling your own "playlist" is fairly limited and would require manual adjustment when you get tired of hearing "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" as your Battlemusicevent.m3u in game.

  11. #11
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You can enable your own music, but it just replaces the standard music events. There are only 8 possible events you can customize.

    So enabling your own "playlist" is fairly limited and would require manual adjustment when you get tired of hearing "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" as your Battlemusicevent.m3u in game.
    Thats disappointing, but oh well. Winamp takes care of my needs anyways. Yes, Winamp, I am a creature of habit. Dont judge me...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Thats disappointing, but oh well. Winamp takes care of my needs anyways. Yes, Winamp, I am a creature of habit. Dont judge me...
    Is it 2005 all over again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  13. #13
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Is it 2005 all over again?
    Milk Drop FTW. Need I say more? LOL

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Milk Drop FTW. Need I say more? LOL
    I must say I've never seen the need for visualizations...I mean, if I'm listening to music, I'm usually doing something else as well (reading, gaming, whatever else) -- visualizations would just be a meaningless distraction. But to each his own, of course

    (And, I chose 2005 because that's when GW came out and I did the same - listen to music in WinAmp while playing GW1...after I had heard the in game music for a while)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  15. #15
    I wonder if Winamp still whips the llama's ass..

  16. #16
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    8.6 LY away from home
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I must say I've never seen the need for visualizations...I mean, if I'm listening to music, I'm usually doing something else as well (reading, gaming, whatever else) -- visualizations would just be a meaningless distraction. But to each his own, of course

    (And, I chose 2005 because that's when GW came out and I did the same - listen to music in WinAmp while playing GW1...after I had heard the in game music for a while)
    Was gonna say, I think I may have been using winamp in the late 90s.

    I too recently redownloaded it and am using it again. still works great.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I must say I've never seen the need for visualizations...I mean, if I'm listening to music, I'm usually doing something else as well (reading, gaming, whatever else) -- visualizations would just be a meaningless distraction. But to each his own, of course
    Not when I play games, but its great when you have parties. Ive always had a PC hooked up to my TV so when I have music going its nice to have something visually appealing on the screen. Sure beats the shit you get on those satellite music channels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I wonder if Winamp still whips the llama's ass..
    It sure does

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The soundtrack while awesome is kinda sparse, iirc. There isn't much of it and repeats a lot.
    nothing much to say but this.

    also, it seems to me like they took some of gw1 soundtrack (say LA for ex.), unless they did so little modifications on them i could barely tell the difference.

  19. #19
    Much of the music is taken from original Guild Wars (which I have nothing against, it makes me feel nostalgic) and some songs are new to Guild Wars 2.

    I really love the music, but I can agree that it seems to repeat itself pretty much. And the music even jumps over with you when you zone, like standing in Lion's Arch hearing the old happy Lion's Arch music and then zone over to gloomy, dead and risen from the seas, Orr, hearing the rest of the soundtrack.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •