Suggest me a Monitor + Nvidia Card!

So I'm ready to purchase a monitor and a video card.

I don't need a gigantic 27 inch monitor. I'm looking for ~24".

Heres the catch for the video card:

It needs to be nvidia, and I need it to be able to run 3 monitors simultanously as extended desktops (Im not interested in eyefinity).

I was thinking the GTX 660 for $220 but I'm not sure if its a good choice (Or if it would even work).

My combined budget is at most $500. The monitor will just be my third desktop ,doesn't need to be anything particularly special.

It depends what you plan on playing for the video card. 660 would be fine for WoW, but not so much for BF3/Crysis/Far Cry 3.. It would also be nice to know your CPU, as a new video card would not be a huge upgrade if you're rocking a Core 2 Duo or something.

For a monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153
    $180 with Mail-in Rebate.
    Rig: i5-3570K, SLI EVGA 680 SC Sig 1. Will take pictures eventually.
    Past: Proud First Generation College Graduate (B.S. in Chemistry and Biology)
    Present: Medical School, Class of 2017.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Microcenter)
    Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $430.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 20:30 EST-0500)

Perhaps stepping up to a 660Ti and get a cheaper monitor would be a good idea but it depends on what you are planning to do.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Jargan View Post
    It depends what you plan on playing for the video card. 660 would be fine for WoW, but not so much for BF3/Crysis/Far Cry 3.. It would also be nice to know your CPU, as a new video card would not be a huge upgrade if you're rocking a Core 2 Duo or something.

For a monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153
    $180 with Mail-in Rebate.

Its an Core i5, not going to be bottle necking much there.

Also, I think a GTX 660 is more than enough for what I play (League, Path of Exile currently)

Another thing I 'd like to mention is a 600W Rosewill PS good enough? I'm fairly certain rosewill is a good brand, but I'm not positive.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2013-03-03 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually i'd ditch that damn PSU asap, rosewill psu's stand for tiny boxes of fireworks so get something decent like a seasonic, antec, xfx, corsair(avoid builder series), just not rosewill for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Its an Core i5, not going to be bottle necking much there.

Also, I think a GTX 660 is more than enough for what I play (League, Path of Exile currently)

Another thing I 'd like to mention is a 600W Rosewill PS good enough? I'm fairly certain rosewill is a good brand, but I'm not positive.
    Depends on which i5 you have. If you have a first gen i5, or anything below an i5 2500 / 3570, it's more than likely going to net you a considerable performance decrease due to the lower clocks. When Windows load balances, turbo boost deactivates since all cores have a reasonable load on them. In turn, the lower end i5s end up performing worse than even chips like the i3-3220 and i3-2120 in dual threaded games.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Depends on which i5 you have. If you have a first gen i5, or anything below an i5 2500 / 3570, it's more than likely going to net you a considerable performance decrease due to the lower clocks. When Windows load balances, turbo boost deactivates since all cores have a reasonable load on them. In turn, the lower end i5s end up performing worse than even chips like the i3-3220 and i3-2120 in dual threaded games.
    Its a 2500k i5

And this rosewill PS has lasted me like 4 years with no issue. Yea, its probably time to upgrade it, but I really don't feel like rewiring everything. zz

10+ Year Old Account
    Look there are alot of cases of rosewill psu's lasting, and alot of other bad psus lasting, but you will be replacing you're gpu, which will increase the power needed and thta might just be the end of the psu and make so it takes some parts with it, so I suggest replacing the PSU with something like a xfx 550w pro core edition.

Also the cpu is fine, its still the best cpu to overclock to extreme levels and barely loses to the 3570k no bottlenecks there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I think you underestimate how well a i5-750/760 holds up today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I think you underestimate how well a i5-750/760 holds up today.
    They're probably roughly in the same performance range. Probably not too relevant to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Microcenter)
    Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $430.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 20:30 EST-0500)

Perhaps stepping up to a 660Ti and get a cheaper monitor would be a good idea but it depends on what you are planning to do.
    I assume the PB238Q is a p-IPS panel? The VS239H-P is $50 cheaper but it's e-IPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    Actually i'd ditch that damn PSU asap, rosewill psu's stand for tiny boxes of fireworks so get something decent like a seasonic, antec, xfx, corsair(avoid builder series), just not rosewill for sure.
    False.

There are both good and bad Rosewill PSUs. Easiest way is to consult the PSU list on Overclock.net. Make sure to match the model exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    He says he has a 600 w rosewill, its not on the list, and by searching for it you get reviews that paint a realy bad scene for it so I wouldnt take the risk.