Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taub View Post
    i was considering omega3 pills until i found out its easy reach the daily intake level from other sources than the fish they always talk about in commercials.
    takes like 2 walnuts to get the needed omega 3
    Yeah I should probably look into other sources. Flax seeds and kiwifruits are good too. My dad just has a huge supply of omega-3 pills that I can take from so that's why I've been doing it that way.

Deleted
    i remember reading somewhere than the extra protein is stored as fat, but as far as dangers i dont know.
    according to wikipedia it can give kidney stones:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein...ss_consumption
    Anything in excess will be stored as fat when your in a calorie surplus, there is nothing special about that. You could eat 1800 calories of pure protein though and none would be stored as fat as long as you are in a deficit.

No study has ever linked protein consumption to kidney damage. Only thing that has been proven is that people with pre-existing medical problems might need to keep their protein intake to moderate levels, but we are still talking above high levels of consumption.

i was considering omega3 pills until i found out its easy reach the daily intake level from other sources than the fish they always talk about in commercials.
    Omega 3 from nuts and other sources doesn't have the same properties as fish. Besides, 2 walnats are FAR from the needed recommended dosage.
    Last edited by mmocf0ad466cc1; 2013-03-03 at 07:14 PM.

There is an incredible amount of misinformation here. Please do not rely on comments on a video game site for this kind of answer. By the comments here it is obvious that the majority cannot have ever seriously lifted in their life. I could spend a lot of time explaining the benefits and differences of Whey and Casein protien and the timing of intake

Here is my advice, spend a couple hours researching and not relying on the absurd answers from people who know nothing on the topic, that's why I will resist giving you my thoughts

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 01:19 PM ----------

One-quarter cup of walnuts contains about 2.3 grams, and you need 4-5 grams. So you need like half a cup, so those are 2 big Walnuts you got there
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2013-03-03 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Ipad fail
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    It may be worth noting that 100g of chicken breast contains only 31g of actual protein (link).

Assuming you've got 140lbs LBM (that's only 10st, or 64kg - not much at all; an obese person with 10st of LBM could still weigh as little as 15st / 96kg), then you're looking at 140-210g of protein, which is 480-700g of chicken breast!

That's assuming the "1-1.5g per lb of LBM" ... I've seen some experts recommending more than that.
    Uh, if you were to only eat chicken breast for protein and ONLY protein, you would need to eat 3-5 chicken breasts a day (link). That really isnt that much tbh. I often eat 2-3 chicken breasts just for dinner.

To the walnut guy, walnuts do not have the omega-3 fatty acid that you need. The omega-3 fats in walnuts are ALA. ALA converts to EPA at a horrible rate (approximately 8% conversion to EPA and 0-4% to DHA). It is recommended that you consume 1-3g of EPA or DHA per day. You need to eat approximately 10-30g of ALA to get your daily recommended amount. You get about 2.6g of ADA per 1 oz of walnut so you need to eat 4-12 oz of walnuts. That is about 112-336 walnuts PER DAY to get your recommended amount (which translates to 736-2208 calories in walnuts only). So yeah, I would stick with the fish oil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    There is an incredible amount of misinformation here. Please do not rely on comments on a video game site for this kind of answer. By the comments here it is obvious that the majority cannot have ever seriously lifted in their life. I could spend a lot of time explaining the benefits and differences of Whey and Casein protien and the timing of intake

Here is my advice, spend a couple hours researching and not relying on the absurd answers from people who know nothing on the topic, that's why I will resist giving you my thoughts

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 01:19 PM ----------

One-quarter cup of walnuts contains about 2.3 grams, and you need 4-5 grams. So you need like half a cup, so those are 2 big Walnuts you got there
    You could atleast come with something constructive then. By my guess, since your talking about meal timing, Whey vs Casein is that you like many others are full of broscience.

BTW Walnuts doesn't contain EPA or DHA which is the most the crucial parts of Omega-3 fish oil. I'm not saying Walnuts are bad, far from it. Walnuts can just not replacement fish oil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Omega 3 from nuts and other sources doesn't have the same properties as fish. Besides, 2 walnats are FAR from the needed recommended dosage.

BTW Walnuts doesn't contain EPA or DHA which is the most the crucial parts of Omega-3 fish oil. I'm not saying Walnuts are bad, far from it. Walnuts can just not replacement fish oil.
    just some copy paste from google:

Q. Are all omega three fatty acids the same?

A. The omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is the precursor or “parent” to the two long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Walnuts contain ALA and fatty fish contain EPA and DHA. Metabolic reactions enable ALA to be converted into EPA and DHA. A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition looking at whether walnuts (providing ALA) and fatty fish (providing EPA and DHA) have similar effects on specific blood markers associated with Coronary Heart Disease. The study found that a diet including walnuts was more powerful in reducing total and LDL (bad) cholesterol when compared to fatty fish. Healthy individuals who consumed walnuts reduced their total cholesterol by 5.4% and LDL by 9.3% translating to an 18.6% decrease in risk of Coronary Heart Disease (CHD). When they consumed fatty fish, HDL (good) cholesterol increased and triglycerides decreased.

The National Institutes of Health recommended that people consume at least 2% of their total daily calories as omega-3 fats. To meet this recommendation, a person consuming 2000 calories per day would have to eat at least 2 grams of omega-3 fats. Many nutrition experts believe that this recommendation is not high enough, and would suggest, instead, that people consume at least 4% of their total calories (approximately 4 grams) as omega-3 fats.

One-quarter cup of flaxseeds contains about 7 grams of omega-3 fatty acids while one-quarter cup of walnuts contains about 2.3 grams. In either case, the amount is pretty substantial. Therefore by combining one-quarter cup of walnuts with a tablespoon of flaxseeds you will add close to the recommended 4 grams of omega-3 fats to your diet.
    recommended dosage differ quite a bit depending on who you ask but i really dont think a few walnuts is that FAR from whats needed. dont know how that ALA - EPA & DHA convertion works though.

Protein(not necessarily shakes) is a necessity. It's best if you can get it all from your diet but if you can't and you're short for the day that's where the shakes come in.

PS don't use shakes as a meal replacement

Deleted
    just some copy paste from google:

--SNIP--

recommended dosage differ quite a bit depending on who you ask but i really dont think a few walnuts is that FAR from whats needed. dont know how that ALA - EPA & DHA convertion works though.
    As Jbhasban mentioned in a post earlier, the conversion is at a terrible rate. I haven't ment to say that Walnuts are bad by any means. But this study is comparing one of many useful properties of these fatty acids. The best thing to do would be making sure to get both, but don't expect Walnuts to be a suitable replacement for omega 3 from fish.

However, we are talking about food management that in the end have miniscule influence on your daily health in the short run.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    To the walnut guy, walnuts do not have the omega-3 fatty acid that you need. The omega-3 fats in walnuts are ALA. ALA converts to EPA at a horrible rate (approximately 8% conversion to EPA and 0-4% to DHA). It is recommended that you consume 1-3g of EPA or DHA per day. You need to eat approximately 10-30g of ALA to get your daily recommended amount. You get about 2.6g of ADA per 1 oz of walnut so you need to eat 4-12 oz of walnuts. That is about 112-336 walnuts PER DAY to get your recommended amount (which translates to 736-2208 calories in walnuts only). So yeah, I would stick with the fish oil.
    lol, didnt know about the 4-8% conversion rate, thats pretty awful. guess i shouldnt trust online news articles about how awesome walnuts are
    Last edited by mmoc20fd1404df; 2013-03-03 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    Protein(not necessarily shakes) is a necessity. It's best if you can get it all from your diet but if you can't and you're short for the day that's where the shakes come in.

PS don't use shakes as a meal replacement
    I do not see a problem in this, espicially if you are eating 3 or more meals per day

There's nothing wrong with drinking some protein shakes. Atleast where I live, protein powder is a very cheap alternative for a good source of protein. Honestly, even if it wasn't for the low cost, I'd still probably drink one or two daily, because it's convenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone should link this on bodybuilding.com, so they can have a good laugh at folks from a gaming site vehemently debating about dieting.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter what you do do not diet, just work out more, get a bike and ride it often, run up and down stairs, take the stairs over elevators and escalators.
    And eat real food fresh fruits veggies and avoid Startchy food, and Gluten and Carbohydrates unless you work out they turn into sugar and spike your insulin levels.

Not necessary but extremely useful

Hm, no one can deny they produce results, good results,

But they can cause problems, they let you push past your natural limit, which is what you want, but a lot of the time its to much to fast, this has been linked to younger people having strokes or heart attacks, but very rare,

A more common problem is, it retains water as a side effect sometimes for days, (my mate couldn't piss for 6 days), which ignoring the fact, retaining water that long is poisonous to your body, it can cause you to put on weight,

A lot more health problems are arising linked to shakes, powders, tablets. There was a very good pamorana program on them the other night,

Personally, I dont take anything, I was planning to but have decided against it, most of my mates in class take it, 1 shows a huge improvment because he works out like hell, one shows a minor improvement, and the others have put on weight because they work out once a week or less

Im not to far behind the guy with the huge improvment and thats from naturally doing it so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

But they can cause problems, they let you push past your natural limit, which is what you want, but a lot of the time its to much to fast, this has been linked to younger people having strokes or heart attacks, but very rare,

A more common problem is, it retains water as a side effect sometimes for days, (my mate couldn't piss for 6 days), which ignoring the fact, retaining water that long is poisonous to your body, it can cause you to put on weight,

A lot more health problems are arising linked to shakes, powders, tablets. There was a very good pamorana program on them the other night,

Personally, I dont take anything, I was planning to but have decided against it, most of my mates in class take it, 1 shows a huge improvment because he works out like hell, one shows a minor improvement, and the others have put on weight because they work out once a week or less

Im not to far behind the guy with the huge improvment and thats from naturally doing it so to speak
    But mooom! Protein Powder is not Steroids!

May I ask for your sources on all of this, because it does sound like ALOT of bullshit in 1 post Your "mates" is a very poor group of people to link this to.
    Last edited by Lushious; 2013-03-03 at 08:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

Lol.. This is the most stupid post that i have read on this forum so far that i won't even comment on how wrong it is.

Deleted
    Nononononononono. This is completly wrong, you should never replace a meal with a protein shake! Never! The point of a protein shake is to ACT as a meal, but not replace one, you get a shit ton of protein, but when you drink the shake you need some sort of solid food to eat as well, gives the best effect. To be honest, Protein shakes are probably not needed, but helps it a lot. I've used protein shakes for about 2-3 years now, and I can def see a difference from when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by nelle300 View Post
    Nononononononono. This is completly wrong, you should never replace a meal with a protein shake! Never! The point of a protein shake is to ACT as a meal, but not replace one, you get a shit ton of protein, but when you drink the shake you need some sort of solid food to eat as well, gives the best effect. To be honest, Protein shakes are probably not needed, but helps it a lot. I've used protein shakes for about 2-3 years now, and I can def see a difference from when I started.
    Why the heck not! As long as your diet includes many meals, it's not a dman problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Protein shakes will take their toll on your liver and kidneys over the years. You can never go wrong with a healthy, varied diet though.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.