Poll: TV Series Vs movie

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Wow Movie Vs WoW Tv series

Hello!
    We all know that there must, someday, be WoW movie since 2007! And I have been searching for some Info about movie what would it be about (humans vs & orcs, Night elf story, Draenei, Arthas story or even about Dragons)! What I found at WoWwiki was that movie will be told from Alliance's point of view and it would take place in the time of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans! Main character is announced to be Varian, but does this make sense ? Wasn't he just a teenager just then ? and also there were some people, myself among them, who complained that they are beginning to tell WoW lore from the middle and that disappoints. But I realize to follow chronology it will take lot of series of movies to make it fully and thoroughly told! No one might even bother to take that many series and if they did, what i hope for, it would take years and years to to finish the story, like it happened to Harry potter or X men! and people would wait for a year or two to see just 2 hour movie, which i assure you would not be as good as the book and it would disappoint lot of players!

And here is what I thought! Why Blizzard not make WoW TV Series ?! As good with spec effects as movie. I know it will take loooooooooooot of money and afford to make TV series! but they would introduce all the lore to people and make it watchable for everyone! IDK if u know TV series of Game of Thrones ! it is like wow but its about only humans but it has WAAAAAAY to weak plot compared WoW and it is best seller its rating are above highest! It does have good spec effects but not like wow must have to be good TV serial ! Imagine what records would WoW achieve if it has its own TV series, which would tell Lore thoroughly! As a wow player for me it would be a Dream came True ! And if, and im clearly very sure it will, it reach the highest records and income will be Great, I'm sure blizz wont mind continue make more and more tv series and tell lore from beginning to where we are! As for the lore like far far away from this time (like story of Well of eternity and story of dragons and titans , OLD gods and titans) can be told in movies !

Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Hello!
    We all know that there must, someday, be WoW movie since 2007! And I have been searching for some Info about movie what would it be about (humans vs & orcs, Night elf story, Draenei, Arthas story or even about Dragons)! What I found at WoWwiki was that movie will be told from Alliance's point of view and it would take place in the time of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans! Main character is announced to be Varian, but does this make sense ? Wasn't he just a teenager just then ? and also there were some people, myself among them, who complained that they are beginning to tell WoW lore from the middle and that disappoints. But I realize to follow chronology it will take lot of series of movies to make it fully and thoroughly told! No one might even bother to take that many series and if they did, what i hope for, it would take years and years to to finish the story, like it happened to Harry potter or X men! and people would wait for a year or two to see just 2 hour movie, which i assure you would not be as good as the book and it would disappoint lot of players!

And here is what I thought! Why Blizzard not make WoW TV Series ?! As good with spec effects as movie. I know it will take loooooooooooot of money and afford to make TV series! but they would introduce all the lore to people and make it watchable for everyone! IDK if u know TV series of Game of Thrones ! it is like wow but its about only humans but it has WAAAAAAY to weak plot compared WoW and it is best seller its rating are above highest! It does have good spec effects but not like wow must have to be good TV serial ! Imagine what records would WoW achieve if it has its own TV series, which would tell Lore thoroughly! As a wow player for me it would be a Dream came True ! And if, and im clearly very sure it will, it reach the highest records and income will be Great, I'm sure blizz wont mind continue make more and more tv series and tell lore from beginning to where we are! As for the lore like far far away from this time (like story of Well of eternity and story of dragons and titans , OLD gods and titans) can be told in movies !
    a tv series would just be too short lived.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    A TV series probably wouldn't get the budget to do a high fantasy setting like WoW justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both ideas are really bad unless it's going to be animated.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW movie with many installments. I'd really want to see the movie because of how epic the cut scenes etc are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    A TV series probably wouldn't get the budget to do a high fantasy setting like WoW justice.
    I dont think like that if Blizz spares 100 million of movie it can start with same budget with 1st season ! Spec effects might not be as good but when it will have its own income i think Series will have its spec effects improved

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see a mope themed animated series with chen and li li on cartoon network

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Both ideas are really bad unless it's going to be animated.
    like the dungeon siege movies were animated and didnt have high dollar stars like jason stratham in them.............
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    WoW movie with many installments. I'd really want to see the movie because of how epic the cut scenes etc are.
    agreed ! movie that its own Charm when watching, but I'm sure it will be a dull story more orientated on spec effects then of story itself. Its how it happens! andas i said it would be discouraging for wow player ! They will skip some good moments of lore to make movie fit to reasonable length (2 hour for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw any non-video game extension to the series. I want more video games set in the Warcraft universe. Hack and slash action games, dungeon crawlers, turn based RPG, tactical games, open world first person RPGs, click and point adventure games(like WarCraft Adventures) and more RTS games. Blizzard should find some decent companies to have them work on some spin-offs with their big three franchises.

I dont enjoy having to read a book or watch a movie to get the whole story for a games universe.
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2013-03-03 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello!

The Game of Thrones television show is based on The Song of Fire and Ice, a book series. That series is infinitely more complex and deep then the wow back story, a major part of why it is so popular is the fact that the books are so incredible. When making a film version they have to dumb things down significantly due to time and budget. Saying that wow would make a good movie or show because Game of Thrones isn't that good and it does well is simply spurious. The wow back story is ok, but the quality of the writing of the majority of the wow back story is amateur, dumbing it down for TV would leave you with a show little better then the old 'Dungeons and Dragons' kids cartoon. The fact is, in order to make wow decent for TV the entire story would need to rewritten in some sort of epic form. As it stands the wow back story isn't even an entirely cohesive story, its a collection of small stories that fit roughly together, so roughly that they have to keep getting changed to maintain any sort of legitimacy.

Simply put: The Game of Thrones story is a complete exceptionally deep and complex story with very very deep character development and WAAAAY more content and information then could ever be fit in a TV series. The wow story is a collection of thinly developed stories with a limited number of characters who have had almost no actual character development. Turning it into a TV series would require addition to the story, not reduction for time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

It's Warcraft movie not WoW movie, and series wouldn't be good IMO.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    The Game of Thrones television show is based on The Song of Fire and Ice, a book series. That series is infinitely more complex and deep then the wow back story, a major part of why it is so popular is the fact that the books are so incredible. When making a film version they have to dumb things down significantly due to time and budget. Saying that wow would make a good movie or show because Game of Thrones isn't that good and it does well is simply spurious. The wow back story is ok, but the quality of the writing of the majority of the wow back story is amateur, dumbing it down for TV would leave you with a show little better then the old 'Dungeons and Dragons' kids cartoon. The fact is, in order to make wow decent for TV the entire story would need to rewritten in some sort of epic form. As it stands the wow back story isn't even an entirely cohesive story, its a collection of small stories that fit roughly together, so roughly that they have to keep getting changed to maintain any sort of legitimacy.

Simply put: The Game of Thrones story is a complete exceptionally deep and complex story with very very deep character development and WAAAAY more content and information then could ever be fit in a TV series. The wow story is a collection of thinly developed stories with a limited number of characters who have had almost no actual character development. Turning it into a TV series would require addition to the story, not reduction for time.
    I know about game f thrones. And Yes its writers are more skilled and experienced, their detailed tellin of thing and characters makes reader to be chained to book ! but the story itself it not as good as WoW's (imo) and even TV series are weaker and doesnt need much spec effects and still its best seller ! With good story and good specc effects WoW can break records

10+ Year Old Account
    I know about game f thrones. And Yes its writers are more skilled and experienced, their detailed tellin of thing and characters makes reader to be chained to book ! but the story itself it not as good as WoW's (imo) and even TV series are weaker and doesnt need much spec effects and still its best seller ! With good story and good specc effects WoW can break records
    First of all, the Song of Fire and Ice has 1 writer.

The TV series probably has a couple of writers who adapt the books to the show.

You admitted that its your opinion that Wow has a better back story then SoFaI, then you take your opinion and make extensive assumptions based on it. 'detailed telling of thing and characters' is exactly what makes a story good. How do you judge a story to be good if not for things like character development and basic plot line? Are you suggesting that wow will be better simply because it has more magic and dragons? The irony being that if you'd actually read, or ever watched all of GoT you would know that it has magic and dragons. The TV series has only just begun to touch on those, look forward to the following seasons to include more of both. As far as one having more special effects then the other, well, special effects are a direct result of budget. Any show with a big budget will have pretty effects, a wow series with a small budget will look horrible, like most other fantasy TV shows.

The wow storyline has been HEAVILY criticized by even its most ardent fans as being very very silly. Army of Raptors? Time traveling in order to retcon existing lore to new lore? Repeated use of 'it was only a setback'? Please....

The wow movie is in production, it has been moving very slowly for years but last I heard it was coming along. I will go see it, but I have no illusions of it being a Tolkeinesque epic. At best it will probably be more like Avatar, look pretty but have a pretty terrible plot line with little to no character development. If the producers are smart they will simply put a few characters that have never existed in the lore yet into the Warcraft world and have them go on an adventure. That way the movie can have a bunch of cameos from various lore characters without ever having to really get glued to existing story.

The fact is, the wow story is, as I stated before, amateur. Comparing it to GoT is like comparing Justin Beiber to Mozart. Sure it might be super popular at the moment but it has absolutely no staying power, it will be gone as soon as the game is gone. Blizzard has aimed their merchandise at a young audience, they chose the writers for their ability to churn out content for easy consumption by the lowest common denominator.

If you want a really really good story, take the time to read the Song of Fire and Ice. I've read all the wow books, and comics. I own most of them in fact. I've also read all the the SoFaI and there really isn't a comparison. I can enjoy the basic story of wow, its got the bones of a decent story but it will never be fleshed out as it isn't worth it for Blizzard to ever go that far with it. Why bother, in the end its the game that matters, not the actual story.

Seriously, you sound like you really enjoy the fantasy genre, thats great. Give the SoFaI a try, if you enjoyed wow you will have your mind blown by this series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Game of Thrones costs upwards of 6 million per episode to make and that show doesn't need all the CGI you would need to make a warcraft/wow show.
    Now for the movie I think they would need to have a budget upwards of 150 million to even make it look and feel good.

I was wondering however I liked the MoP trailer a lot, would a full lenght movie with the same quality (or better) be workable, what timeframe do they need to make say a 100-120 minute movie and would it be cheaper then the above mentioned 150 million for a live action movie.

Think on it if they made an animated full lenght movie like the trailer (or better quality) then nobody would bit@H about varian or garosh not looking like they should or spells not looking like in the game.
    Biggest issue you are then left with are the actors used for the voices, do you use the game voiced actors or others.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Personally I'd rather see an animated series. I just don't see how they could make a decent movie that looks any good without spending ungodly amounts of money.

First of all A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT)is waayyy deeper than the WoW story. The only way to do a good WoW movie or story is animated mini series or an animated movie that looks like their CGI trailers or like Beowulf.

I'd love to see a WoW cartoon like the current Clone Wars one.

This thread is going somewhere.

I vote movie, unless the TV series is as good as Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

Also, please do not add any love/kissing into the movie, if I want to watch romance movie I'll go watch one, I want some epic WoW battles, not Twilight.

Somewhere down the road after WoW has ended, I would LOVE to see a CGI series of maybe hour long episodes every couple of months made by the same people, and on the same level, as the Mists cinematic trailer.

These could tell all the lore backstories.