Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Possible build I'm going to purchase.

pcpartpicker.com/p/HsrK

Its basically the 1300 build from marests sample builds without the SSD. And I've changed the case to a HAF X and the video card to a 7970. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm looking for something that will last me 2-3 years and have room for upgrades to select parts. I also want to be able to play wow on max/ultra and most current and upcoming titles on high setting with a decent framerate. My budget is about 1500 USD.
    Last edited by Tokogon; 2013-03-04 at 05:12 PM.

I wouldn't recommend getting a reference GPU unless you really have to.

The HAF X is not worth the $200+ they are asking for it.

If you are going to pay $70+ for a cooler you might as well get the NH-D14.

Why no SSD?

I would prefer a Seasonic M12II or G series PSU over the Corsair TX-M.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.06 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.89 @ Mac Mall)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1366.38
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-04 12:27 EST-0500)

1) I went with n0cturnal's suggestions, switched out the case, added a SSD and different power supply.
    2) This is not a whole lot more than what your build was at, but it will give you a lot better day to day functionality.
    3) The build will be a bit easier due to the partially modular power supply. The G series is actually quite highly regarded and is relatively affordable for a gold rated unit.
    4) The case I have for you is made to be silent, which is lovely. This could be changed out for something with a bit more flash if you preferred, though at the price you were looking at, you could nearly get a Silverstone FT-02.
    5) SSD will decrease load times and make your life a whole lot more bearable. The Samsung 840 Pro is one of the best drives on the market today.
    6) I switched the 7970 to a better cooled unit. (that also happens to be cheaper)
    7) I did not include an OS with the build, as you had not. If you need one, take the $90 that will be into account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

For the SSD how noticeable are the load time improvements? I've only done a little reading on those honestly but some stuff I've seen makes it seem like a very minor gain.

Thank you for the other item swaps, but on the case can you think of something that's silent but a little flashier and sensible price wise. I really enjoyed the blue lights and hugeness of the HAF X. Its really just epeen, but If I'm going to stare at a computer for 2-3 years on my desk I want it to be huge. This is my first time building my own PC so I'm not to sure on whats a bad deal for a case. The Silverstone FT-02
    you suggested also looks rather plain when I tried googling it unless there was a specific model you were thinking of that I couldn't find.

Thank you both for your input so far

*What I mean with the case is I love the one you picked and it seems like the best bang for my buck but is there away to get one with a few LEDs maybe for around the same price as the one you have listed?
    Last edited by Tokogon; 2013-03-04 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Worded terribly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokogon View Post
    For the SSD how noticeable are the load time improvements? I've only done a little reading on those honestly but some stuff I've seen makes it seem like a very minor gain.
    With my SSD, I am usually cold booting in about the 12-15s range. I have not seen that increase at all with getting more crap on my computer.

As for games, WoW/D3 load times are outrageous and I am near instantly in. Case in point: I had WoW crash not too long ago, and I was back in the game within 20 seconds. The longest part getting back in was typing my password.

Added an edit to last post not sure when your post was added.

Thank you for the info on the SSD.

Now on the power supply is there room to grow? What I mean is if I have like 3-4 usb devices plugged in like a gaming mouse, keyboard, or other accessories is it going to have enough power for them all. I know pc parts get outdated all the time but are current trends in cpu and gpu power uses increasing slow enough that 550 will be enough if I switch video cards a year or 2 down the line?

10+ Year Old Account
    *What I mean with the case is I love the one you picked and it seems like the best bang for my buck but is there away to get one with a few LEDs maybe for around the same price as the one you have listed?
    For about the same price as Mr. Russians posted. I would look into a Corsair 500R. Comes with 2 front white LED fans and 200M side white LED fan. Case color comes in a Black or White. Or you could look into the NZXT Phantom 410 cases with many case colors to pick from. Both of those cases I listed are around the $100 price tag. But the Phantom 410 is a very case flashy and nice to work with when it comes to cable management. My wife has the all red one. Reminds her of red Storm Trooper armor from Star Wars, honestly.
    Last edited by Acarlee; 2013-03-04 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    550W from Seasonic would be fine for years. If you are worried about power consumption, you could up to something like:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $109.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-04 13:46 EST-0500)

Mind you that is including the $10 MIR.

Edit: This is an odd listing, because it is actually the newer HX Series which is indeed 80 Plus Gold.

Edit 2: I just noticed that you were asking about other cases... In the Silverstone line, the Raven RV02E is a bit flashier and is still a wonderful air cooling case. It is a bit noisier than the FT02 though. The FT02 is actually milled aluminum, so it is very stately, and somewhat like an Apple Pro case. If you want something with LEDs, you can always add them to the case to make it a bit flashier. You could also get some RAM with LEDs on the top. This is of course taking into account a case with a window.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-03-04 at 06:53 PM.

3) The build will be a bit easier due to the partially modular power supply. The G series is actually quite highly regarded and is relatively affordable for a gold rated unit.

I saw this from your first post about the power supply. When you say easier do you mean to put it together? Also is the 650 unit you linked also modular? Not really sure what you meant by the easier part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw this from your first post about the power supply. When you say easier do you mean to put it together? Also is the 650 unit you linked also modular? Not really sure what you meant by the easier part.
    I meant easier as in the fact that you only use the cables that you need and do not have a giant spiderweb and mess of crap that you have to figure out where to hide it so the build looks nice and tidy.

Also, the HX 650 is partially modular. In both that were linked, the cables that are not modular are necessary in the build, so it is not a big deal that they are attached.

Getting really happy with all the options you guys have posted. Back to cases for a minute though. The Fractal Design one you posted above is starting to grow on me, but if I get the full tower size will it still have great airflow?

Also I saw pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-ft01bw and damn that thing was sexy. Is there a full size version of this with a window on the side anywhere? I couldn't find one on pcpartpicker.

Also how is the cable management in these?
    Last edited by Tokogon; 2013-03-04 at 07:49 PM.

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

So I'm guessing that if I want a nice case with a window, mid-tower size is my best bet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the Fractal Define XL R2 is $109.99 at NCIX right now. (till 3/6) This case is a decent air case, though it does not have a window. This is the full tower size version of the case I listed above.

Really, you do not need a full size tower to get the best cooling/cable management. In fact, sometimes having a full tower can be a detriment as the cables from the PSU might not stretch far enough.

The Silverstone Raven RV02-E (USB 3.0) is similar in design to the FT series, and has a window. It is not nearly as quiet though and has some plastic bits on it. It is $175.99 from NCIX.

For cable management, these cases are all pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry about power usage. A 550w is fine, and video cards are using LESS power with each iteration usually, not more.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Keep in mind that you can always add some LED strips or fans if you want something flashy, but a good quality case is always nice to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Keep in mind that you can always add some LED strips or fans if you want something flashy, but a good quality case is always nice to have.
    You should note my #2 edit on an earlier post

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    You should note my #2 edit on an earlier post
    Too many edits, does not compute.

Ok right back where we started at the beginning now. I've pretty much settled on the first build that whiterussian posted, but I'm torn on the case its pretty much between though I'm leaning more towards the corsair.

Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC650DW-1) & Fractal Define XL R2

Which one should I buy out of these 2? Though if the corsair is super terrible talk me out of it now please

Again thank you everyone in this thread, especially Idrinkwhiterussians, for holding my hand through this entire process. Thanks for talking me out of that first case.
    Last edited by Tokogon; 2013-03-04 at 08:26 PM.

If you decide to go for the Corsair don't miss out on this.

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D $149.99 w/ promo code PCASE20, ends 3/7