10+ Year Old Account

Imaging HDD->SDD and Imaging Software

First, I'm looking for some decent, free imaging software. I used to use Ghost, but most of my software is long outdated and I'd rather make sure it's compatible with everything. I'm doing two things.

Imaging 2.5" 80gb SATA to 2.5" 250gb SATA, nothing special there.

The tricky one is imaging a 1tb HDD to 250gb SSD. I know I'll need to have the total data under the ~230gb range, obviously. I believe the OS was installed as AHCI... Is that something that can still be done, or do I -have- to reinstall going to an SSD? The system has a lot of stuff installed, but it's clean.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I used DriveImage XML to copy from smaller SSD to bigger SSD boot drive when I updated the disc. Can't find reviews of any other totally free tool being better than that for windows.

Copying from big disc to small one is possible at least with Ghost, not sure about DriveImage XML. You can always try. It will help to defragment it few times to make sure all files are in the first 250GB and then resize the partition so that it will be smaller than the destination drive for sure.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    new drive already in possesion? (i heard some desktop ssd kits come with acronis limited use clone key)
    also what kind of data do you want to transfer? (because if it includes programs it's gonna be messy as hell in the registry)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also what kind of data do you want to transfer? (because if it includes programs it's gonna be messy as hell in the registry)
    Cloning disc has got nothing to do with registry whatsoever. All installed programs will work exactly like before.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a 'new' drive per se. It's used, just the bare drive.

I tried DriveImage XML... and it seemed to not want do clone drives, just partitions. I was a bit confused (which made me sad) so maybe I'll take another look, but it didn't seem to want to do just a straight clone. it looks like I want to do this:

(Partition 1 Sys Reserve 350mb) (Partition 2 Boot/NTFS 75gb) (80gb drive)
    V V V V V V V V
    (Partition 1 Sys Reserve 350mb) (Partition 2 Boot/NTFS 238gb) (250gb drive)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yeah, it can do whole disc if you select all partitions... Bad thing is that the version I used also scaled up "system reserve" so it's not very intelligent but it did work. I ended up doing clean format anyway few weeks later for various reasons.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's not a 'new' drive per se. It's used, just the bare drive.

I tried DriveImage XML... and it seemed to not want do clone drives, just partitions. I was a bit confused (which made me sad) so maybe I'll take another look, but it didn't seem to want to do just a straight clone. it looks like I want to do this:

(Partition 1 Sys Reserve 350mb) (Partition 2 Boot/NTFS 75gb) (80gb drive)
    V V V V V V V V
    (Partition 1 Sys Reserve 350mb) (Partition 2 Boot/NTFS 238gb) (250gb drive)
    Hmm I've been hearing that if you didn't enable AHCI in bios and you went into installing a HDD/SSD you obviously don't have ahci drivers etc. If you do, why don't you just let windows make an image backup and get a W7 (repair)disc/usb orsomething and use the repair function to move the image file to your new disk?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I may have caused a bit of confusion.

I'm doing two entirely separate images.

1) 80gb HDD to 250gb HDD

2) 1TB HDD to 250gb SSD

I picked up Macrium Reflect (before people had posted) and that seems to be working well enough. I haven't done the HDD->SSD yet, and likely won't for another week or so. I don't even have the SSD yet. I'm just wondering if, assuming AHCI is already set, can I just image the drive over, space allowing

EDIT: The 80->250gb imaging completed perfectly with Macrium Reflect. So that's a non-issue now. I just need to determine what should be done with the HDD->SSD situation
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-03-04 at 12:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've used Macrium Reflect and it's really the only reliable one I've used, and the only one I've had be able to successfully restore a computer. I have Symantec Backup Exec System Restore as well and it's never worked for me on Windows 7 but works fine with XP (useless now)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right