Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    San Francisco, California (Originally from Moscow, Russia)

Any point in getting into the game now?

I tried it when it was released, played few hours but ultimately couldn't stand it and gave up. Now I'm thinking I could give it another shot.
    But is there any point in trying it again now? Is the game still alive? Have I missed much? Will it be hard to catch up, etc?

That really depends on you and why you couldn't stand it in the first place?

If you quit playing before after only a few hours, there is nothing in the game that has changed drastically that will alter any opinion you have of it. So unless your preferences have changed and are willing to give the game a shot, then you probably shouldn't bother.

Guild Wars 2 has no bimodal endgame, has no vertical gear progression outside a singular series of mini dungeons and does not require a subscription. One can never be "behind" or need to "catch up".

GW2 is also one of the most popular MMOs on the market right now. So yes, it is still "alive".

Depends on why you couldn't stand it.
    The game is definitely alive, in fact it's looking like launch all over again on my server.
    What you've missed depends on when you gave up. There have been monthly content patches each month since October.
    Game is very easy to jump in and out of, there is no "catching up".
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Depends on why you couldn't stand it.
    I of course didn't ask if I will find the game suddenly enjoyable, only I can answer that.
    Was more interested in finding out if the game has lost something since launch. And if skipping a few months adds any frustration.
    Thanks for the answer anyway!

I played at release till level 30 and decided I hated it, and in januari I've made another character and since then i've been playing again almost everyday. Best game ever :P

Me and a friend started levelling in PvE and we were surprised by the amount of players that were in each area, there was always tons if events going on do we were never short of something to do, was actually alot of fun that way.

I tried to level once before but on a low pop server which wasn't much fun.

As said above, there is very little that can be missed by hopping in and out of Guild Wars 2. Sure more people will be level 80 and such, but there is very little to no amount of catch-up that must be done in this game. I highly recommend giving it another shot and if you still don't enjoy it then, well, to each his own. I came back not horribly long ago and have really enjoyed my time there.

Mechagnome
    i purposefully held off from starting GW2 from the beginning so that my hopes wouldn't be dashed weeks/months later (thank you AoC, Rift, SWTOR and others...). I'm pretty happy I made that decision and I am loving the game.

Well if you have it there not much reason to ask others, won't cost you anything so just try a diffrent class then you did before if you didn't like the previous ones and you'll soon know.
    When in doubt, mumble...

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Well if you have it there not much reason to ask others, won't cost you anything so just try a diffrent class then you did before if you didn't like the previous ones and you'll soon know.
    I don't have it, will have to buy it again (will probably wait for a sale or something, seeing as the price is suddenly back to $60 now)
    Last edited by pltr; 2013-03-04 at 05:20 PM.

Been playing since release and loving it. Lots more people joined the game since early january, so things are very busy right now in the guild.

I've jumped between 5 servers so far, and I have a guild in each, all of them are very full and busy. (I can do dungeons etc with guildies on other servers so it's fine)

The current server I'm on is actually heaving and has an amazing community.

I won't tell you which one because it's getting a bit too full already but suffice it to say it's a roleplay server, with probably the most mature and friendly community I've met in a MMO, ever... except they're quite good at WvW also, which is a huge bonus.

I'd say in terms of "catching up" - there is none. You can level to 80 and get the same stats on gear (exotics) that I have in a few days pretty easily.

There's really no grind at all, and the ascended gear from fractals is a tiny upgrade (and only on jewellery slots) that I'm not too bothered about.

But you won't have all my amazing looking skins (still no legendary though)

Quote Originally Posted by pltr View Post
    I don't have it, will have to buy it again (will probably wait for a sale or something, seeing as the price is suddenly back to $60 now)
    You gave your account away? personally I think it sounds like a pretty darn stupid idea to buy a game twice if you couldn't stand it the first time round, if not even for a couple of hours then even more dumb cause that should be the best part of the game when everything is new and you're discovering it all.

Just my opinion nobody but you can make this choice the game is not really any diffrent from release aside from perhaps more fluid in terms of less bugs, not that I personally had any problems but I know many who did.
    When in doubt, mumble...

I would say its worth giving it another shot.

I went back to it a week ago and tried a Mesmer which was a class I wanted to play first time round but couldnt get the knack of. I am now lvl 39 and really enjoying myself. Getting levels is so easy if I get bored of events and hearts I go craft which can get me 4-5 lvls in super quick time. Also my personal story gives me crazy exp even when doing the lvl 8 parts last night I was getting 4-5k exp.

So now ive read a bit more and figured out how to exp properly the game is ultimately more enjoyable.

Also need a guild on EU-Desolation :P

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    You gave your account away? personally I think it sounds like a pretty darn stupid idea to buy a game twice if you couldn't stand it the first time round, if not even for a couple of hours then even more dumb cause that should be the best part of the game when everything is new and you're discovering it all.
    No I didn't give anything away. I just asked for a refund. But feel free to continue to call me stupid if it makes you feel better.

Aww bummer man! You just missed a sale (I think it was $40 @ Amazon). Maybe try to call and ask for that pricing? Or, call ANet and ask them for special pricing. It's perfectly within a rep's power to offer discounts because, like any moderately successful sales team, they know a reduced sale > no sale.

Quote Originally Posted by pltr View Post
    No I didn't give anything away. I just asked for a refund. But feel free to continue to call me stupid if it makes you feel better.
    Erm. Okay. Then no, do not buy it. You bought a game and asked for a refund cause you didn't like it? Sure that's fine but the game didn't re-invented itself to buy it again. I can see people buying but quitting, and maybe you come back and start liking. But I don't think you are one of those people really.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Aww bummer man! You just missed a sale (I think it was $40 @ Amazon). Maybe try to call and ask for that pricing? Or, call ANet and ask them for special pricing. It's perfectly within a rep's power to offer discounts because, like any moderately successful sales team, they know a reduced sale > no sale.
    A sale > reduced sale > no sale. XD ESPECIALLY in this case. In fact the only way this should go as a reduced sale is that he uses completely alternative names/payment etc to ask for the reduced price. But yeah...they shouldn't XD

I too quit for 3 months because for some reason the game was giving me a headache, I think it was a narrow FOV, I am pretty sure its fixed now as I dont get a headache anymore and am back loving the game It has so much personality and the world is so beautifully crafted.

My Radio Broadcast: http://grooveshark.com/#!/dookleeto/broadcast feel free to come and listen

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    A sale > reduced sale > no sale. XD ESPECIALLY in this case. In fact the only way this should go as a reduced sale is that he uses completely alternative names/payment etc to ask for the reduced price. But yeah...they shouldn't XD
    This didn't make a tiniest bit of sense to me to be honest...
    Why would I ever want to use an alias and alternative payment methods and I really fail to see how not doing so would make me ineligible for reduced price.
    Doubt I'll be calling anyone just to get $20 off though. I'll just wait.
    Last edited by pltr; 2013-03-05 at 02:07 AM.

I wouldn't bother, unless you only want to casually see the game for a couple of months and then forget all about it.