Female kicker in NFL fails miserably.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6317--nfl.html

The good news for Laruen Silberman is that she probably got more time on a New Jersey football field than Tim Tebow did in the last year. The bad news for the former soccer player, whose goal is to make waves as a potential football kicker at a high level, is that she lasted just two kickoffs at a regional combine at the New York Jets' practice field in Florham Park, New Jersey before she pulled up with a quadriceps injury and was unable to continue. Silberman actually hurt her leg on the first kick, which traveled 19 yards in the air, before trying another boot that went 13 yards. Then, her day was done.
    ''They certainly didn't go as far as they were in practices,'' Silberman told media from over 20 outlets who were on hand primarily to see how she would do, ''but I tried to work through the pain.''
    The 28-year-old Silberman, a graduate student at MIT and ex-club soccer player in Wisconsin, had never kicked in a competitive football game before, but made the cut at this regional combine -- kind of a minor-league version of the big combine that happened last week -- based on her overall athletic ability.
    ''Our job is to evaluate talent and not leave any stone unturned,'' Stephen Austin, the NFL's director of regional combines, told the Associated Press. ''We want young, athletic people who have played a sport, typically in college or military or small schools ... Until they get here, we don't have any idea of what they're really going to turn out to do and how they're going to perform.'
    Understandably, Austin graded Silberman's performance as "incomplete."
    The media coverage of this event was at least 10 times larger than at your standard regional combine, so those on hand could be forgiven if the whole thing seemed to be a publicity stunt.
    Silberman first gained notoriety on a national scale last month when she told the NFL Network that she could boot 60-yard field goals and was ready to take on that combine.
    "I was not aware that I was the first female registrant," she said in mid-February. "I was actually hoping that the 2012 historical milestone rule, to allow women to play, would prompt more women to attend tryouts this year. But for me, what's important is to finally have a chance to fulfill my dreams by trying out to play in the world's most competitive football league."
    Alas, it was not to be. NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala, a female reporter who was on hand for the spectacle, didn't seem too impressed.
    "Lauren Silberman spoke for a grand total of THREE minutes to the 30+reporters waiting on her at the regional combine," Kinkhabwala said via her Twitter account. "Silberman said: "I really hope this signs a spotlight on sports generally for women." (I cannot even begin to respond in 140 charac[ters])"
    ''I'm just really happy I had this amazing experience,'' Silberman concluded. ''I might be the first woman trying out for the NFL, but I certainly hope I'm not the last.''
    Perhaps one day, the NFL will have a female kicker. Until then, this is as good a time as any to remind ourselves that once upon a time, the great Kathy Ireland had some game in that department (and yes, you should watch "Necessary Roughness" if you haven't before).

Okay so I think this is a joke. A woman goes to the NFL combine as a KICKER the easiest spot on any football roster and fails miserably after two kicks and she is now a hero for women? What do you guys think?

I think that after her quadriceps are healed she might be given another chance next year. I also think the Jets need all the help they can get, but w/e.

I think you have some deep bias against women.

She went out and see what she could do. Being a hero doesn't have to mean you succeed, it can be the simple act of trying.

Deleted
    Why no female NFL? Just like in the vast majority of other sports and if I may add here in Europe female soccer is actually quite good. Since they play more out of passion and more tactical matches with no real preassure from the sport club, high ammount of money, fixed matches, doping and other aspects of professional soccer (male soccer).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its just another attention starved person trying to be controversial to get alot of media hype then try to become famous. But thats my opinion it could be true or not.

as a KICKER the easiest spot on any football roster
    Lol. You serious? The kicker can make or break so many games. I really don't think it's the "easiest" position in the game. I would actually argue that there is no "easy" position since every position is crucial to a team's success.
    Skoldier for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I think you have some deep bias against women.

She went out and see what she could do. Being a hero doesn't have to mean you succeed, it can be the simple act of trying.
    She also got injured. Many injuries are freak accidents, not "failures".

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    Lol. You serious? The kicker can make or break so many games. I really don't think it's the "easiest" position in the game. I would actually argue that there is no "easy" position since every position is crucial to a team's success.
    Third string QB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Okay so I think this is a joke. A woman goes to the NFL combine as a KICKER the easiest spot on any football roster and fails miserably after two kicks and she is now a hero for women? What do you guys think?
    First things straight being a kicker is not easy. The idea of it is but the amount of pressure that is put on you is eminence, that would be the least thing I'd want to do.

If your good your good. I wouldn't care if a female played in the NFL. What would bother me if there was special treatment, or blaming a hard hit just because she's a female. If they want to play with the boys they got to be treated like the boys no exceptions.

Aaaaah ha ha ha ha ha this makes me laugh so hard. Another "moral victory" for the fairness and equality crowd!

Lol. You serious? The kicker can make or break so many games.

I really don't think it's the "easiest" position in the game. I would actually argue that there is no "easy" position since every position is crucial to a team's success.
    Neither of these statements addresses anything about the relative ease or lack thereof of the kicker. It is a lot less physically demanding over the course of a game than the other positions.

I played college ball our kicker didn't have to be on a diet like the rest of us, his work outs where tiny compared to ours, and he only played 1 min tops

I played college ball our kicker didn't have to be on a diet like the rest of us, his work outs where tiny compared to ours, and he only played 1 min tops
    And? He probably kicked ~3 times a game for field goals, and he is generally expected to have 100% return rate, unless the coach knowingly puts the field goal team out there for a long shot. Look up QB completion ratings. Nowhere near 100%, even if you discount receivers dropping balls they should have caught.

Despite not being on the field very often, kickers are expected to be near-perfect when they do play, compared to everyone else.

is this some deluded attempt by a feminist to prove that women can somehow do everything physical a man can do.

I wouldn't be surprised if our pussified culture started enforcing NFL teams to take women in the name of "equality", it happens everywhere else

I also played football and either you are lying, or you didn't play for a D1 school. Kickers practice just as much as any other player, and they are also on a diet that best suits them the same as every other player.

Also if you were a REAL football player, you would know that a kickers "1 min tops" on a football field is way more important than you are trying to have others believe.

Most highest scoring players of all time are KICKERS. You might want to rethink your statements.

I think that if it was a guy who had suffered an unfortunate injury that led to a lackluster performance, not a single fuck would be given, nor a single thread on MMO-champion started.

But instead, we get crap like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoy8 View Post
    is this some deluded attempt by a feminist to prove that women can somehow do everything physical a man can do.

I wouldn't be surprised if our pussified culture started enforcing NFL teams to take women in the name of "equality", it happens everywhere else

15+ Year Old Account
    Thing I'm most surprised about is that she's not some huge, hulked-out chick. She looks like any chick I'd see walking down the street, really.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I think that if it was a guy who had suffered an unfortunate injury that led to a lackluster performance, not a single fuck would be given, nor a single thread on MMO-champion started.

But instead, we get crap like this:
    Nah, I'm pretty sure if some overhyped person goes on the field and kicks twice (both travelling less than 20 yards) and manages to hurt themselves along with it it would be here no matter their sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Thing I'm most surprised about is that she's not some huge, hulked-out chick. She looks like any chick I'd see walking down the street, really.
    She is a kicker not an offensive linemen

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Nah, I'm pretty sure if some overhyped person goes on the field and kicks twice (both travelling less than 20 yards) and manages to hurt themselves along with it it would be here no matter their sex.
    No its because she was a female athlete trying to be special and join a male sport. So the media is making a huge deal out of it.

She is a kicker not an offensive linemen

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 12:28 AM ----------

No its because she was a female athlete trying to be special and join a male sport. So the media is making a huge deal out of it.
    I know, I'm just saying people would be laughing their asses off just the same with a male athlete who was equally as hyped by the media.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong subforum (you wanted Sports and Fitness), and see existing discussion in NFL thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...L-updates-news

Closed.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines