Since I've been seeing this come up recently I'm just going to paste a comment from another one that summarized well why people see Gearbox as shady, at best. From http://cheezburger.com/7068221952
"Stolen from YouTube user EnhancedCognition:
1. The demo is pre-rendered, Pitchford claims it's in-game footage.
2. Sega funded development of Aliens: Colonial Marines for six years (I've also heard seven).
3. Gearbox use the above funds to (allegedly) produce Borderlands 1 & 2 and Duke Nukem Forever, instead of working on Aliens.
4. Gearbox outsource the work they were supposed to be doing on Aliens to three smaller studios.
5. In 2012, Sega finally get impatient and demand answers.
6. Gearbox ask for and get a final nine month extension.
7. Five of these nine months are used to finish Borderlands 2.
8. Gearbox finally take a look at Aliens and discover the game isn't anywhere near release quality.
9. They scrap everything that still needs to be implemented and do the bare minimum of testing.
10. Here is your travesty.
And from HANU8:
This is basically the same thing that happened with Duke Nukem Forever, there where leaked spreadsheets from the time that 3D Realms worked exclusively on it that had every detail about each level of the game, along with a percentage of completion. Needless to say that the game was cut to 2/3 of the original size (in amount of maps/missions), most of the interactivity with the environment was scraped, characters where removed (Bombshell, the female character on the original trailer)... And then they released a DLC that in essence was the actual end of the single-player game, they screwed up the dialogs, and the weapon system (which you can clearly see at the 3D Realms trailers Jace Hall Show leaked game-play) to make it more Call of Duty-like and "modern" essentially breaking much of the game-play, they ruined the face of Duke to make him look younger and "softer"... Aliens: Colonial Marines Angry Review was actually like reading a Duke Nukem Forever review. Gearbox failed us. "
Lol.He was scrapped because escort missions are stupid