Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Pains me to say, but patching wow again..... quit 2 years ago for Rift, the lackluster 2.2 patch (4hardmodes and crap festival event) is nail in the coffin for my guild, compared to wow 5.2, 14 new bosses..... wow really has stepped up the raiding game since there's more mmo's out there.
    Bascially this is what I tell my friends, When you poke the Bear you get ripped to spreads. (Funny as I play a Bear Tank)

Honestly I feel thats what Trion did to Blizzard, They poked & woke Blizzard up.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Bascially this is what I tell my friends, When you poke the Bear you get ripped to spreads. (Funny as I play a Bear Tank)

Honestly I feel thats what Trion did to Blizzard, They poked & woke Blizzard up.
    yeah... I think my 10-day pass to WoW pretty much confirms I'm actually over it. That "bear" is currently a rug under my desk. He's dead, not sleeping. Many moons ago, I too was a great big cow bear. I stood my ground in Moonglade.

I may dabble a bit in GW2 every now and then and log onto Rift. Tons of new things added judging by the patches I've downloaded every week or two since I leveled my 1st guy to 80. Still not finished a complete storyline, so I expect to do it on my Char Warrior.

As for WoW, I realize graphics do not make a game, but after playing so many single player games these last few months, when I look at WoW, I seriously feel like I'm looking at a glorified Commodore 64. It actually repulses me how ugly and bland it looks - to me personally. I just expect more.

In spite of content slowing down and me being disappointed with the Trion team right now, Rift for me has just upped what I expect from an MMO and even though I am obviously also a bit burnt out on mmo's right now, WoW is definitely never going to be my go-back-to game ever again.

That died with the Lich King - not trying to make a pun - that's seriously the last time I enjoyed it. I raided with a great guild called Ethos EU and it was the 2nd best time I ever spent in Warcraft. My first was in Beyond on Karazhan in TBC.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-03-06 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    My predicition is within 2 months RIFT will be on a free to play model, which I'm actually quite looking foward to, Judging from what I've recently seen from TERA it will be nothing but a good thing for the game and helping to re-populate it.
    Not sure about "within 2 months" but I definitely feel Rift is getting closer by the day to F2P transition. Which I think will help the state of the game greatly- Rift was at it's absolute pinnacle from beta 3 to launch week.

Rift needs players in mass to run around zone events, queue in WFs/Dungeons, running IAs up and down the level range, etc. Rift was meant to be played with lots of people.

Bottom line is that this game seems to be mostly for raiders.
    Heh, I recall you taking umbrage when I said Rift was an extremely endgame/raid centric MMO. And then you tried to argue it was a matter of POV.

Which of course you were wrong about. Because gameplay is always objective truth; there is ambiguity in that Rift is designed for players at some point to raid in order to progress.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-06 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, I think Free to Play will actually be a good thing - as long as they look after their Vets. I agree with Fencers - Rift needs lots of people!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Two things... I guess I'm out of the loop... Walsingham left/got fired? :O No!
    Walsingham was let go in October (or maybe it was Sept). Zann was apart of the layoffs in November as far as I'm aware.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

10+ Year Old Account
    @Wocky I'm pretty much in the same boat. I did a come back to a ten day Wow Mop trial I made it two days in and dumped it. The wow formula is pretty old and tired heck I see ppl moaning about 5.2 already a raid and more dailies not even 24 hours later. /yawn. I'm not interested in a wow private server I'd rather preserve my memories of wow when it actually was good and in its prime.

The charm that Rift classic had is not present in SL it may catch up to it but the slaughtering of the rift dev team makes me think not. I've not logged into Rift since January. I'm on a MMO break since WoW, GW2 and the few others I've played are just all Meh to me at this time. Been messing around with some single player games and PoE. Hopefully Rift gets their finger out of their ass in the next few patches or my desire to return will completely fade.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Heh, I recall you taking umbrage when I said Rift was an extremely endgame/raid centric MMO. And then you tried to argue it was a matter of POV.

Which of course you were wrong about. Because gameplay is always objective truth; there is ambiguity in that Rift is designed for players at some point to raid in order to progress.
    Oh it's still a matter of POV, not going to give that up so easily.

It's just what I thought would personally sustain me hasn't actually done so, thus my view has shifted. Which is really unfortunate. It could simply be attributed to the fact that I'm getting more casual in my playstyle by the day. I still see that there is 'plenty' of other content outside of raiding, but I've burned through most of it and it's eliminated my desire to achieve other things.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    The charm that Rift classic had is not present in SL it may catch up to it but the slaughtering of the rift dev team makes me think not. I've not logged into Rift since January. I'm on a MMO break since WoW, GW2 and the few others I've played are just all Meh to me at this time. Been messing around with some single player games and PoE. Hopefully Rift gets their finger out of their ass in the next few patches or my desire to return will completely fade.
    Things to do till Patch 2.3:

YES! Path of Exile held my interest quite a bit too. Really amazing stuff.
    Civ 5 Gods and Kings too if you like that sort of thing.

But... the ultimate game... Far Cry III - best game ever...

I will probably buy Crysis 3 this Weekend if some time frees up, but I've heard it's quite linear from one of my techies.

maybe buy the two Skyrim DLC's.

I generally don't like to buy a new game till I finish what I have. A bit OCD that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Oh it's still a matter of POV, not going to give that up so easily.
    XD

It's just what I thought would personally sustain me hasn't actually done so, thus my view has shifted. Which is really unfortunate.
    That seems fair in all honesty. There is a certain amount of MMO burnout one can go through.

For me at least, that is common no matter the MMO; EQ, GW, Rift, TSW, etc. Sometimes I just get tired of playing for a bit.

Pretty natural, imo/pov.

I'm holding off on my "Rift is dying!" till 2.3 comes out. While I agree that after the shine of the new expansion wore off it's been pretty lackluster (from a non-raider PoV) for the past few months, I'm not quite ready to "abandon ship" (not that I can anyways, I'm subbed till next January : P).

Trion have created insanely high expectations for themselves, and they've delivered for over a year and a half for me. I can forgive them for a few months of lackluster updates, but we'll see how it goes moving forward.

What has me concerned is this is happening with whats going on elsewhere with the Defiance beta we can't talk about and their pre-selling of $40 DLC packs for the game over a month before it's even out, with little to no detail on what the DLC entails (common practice, I know, but it's a shitty common practice). Trion as a whole are beginning to show some cracks in their shining armor : P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I'm holding off on my "Rift is dying!" till 2.3 comes out.
    Yeah dieing is bit of stretch to say the least. I just feel SL hasn't been fleshed out enough and doesn't hold a candle to classic. I can blame myself for some of it since I torpedoed to lvl 60 in 4 or 5 days and burned through a good chunk of the sparse PvE content that can only be done so many times and you burn out. As I said before for a player who played from launch, Rift 2.0 doesn't keep me engrossed in the content since at max level there isn't really the same charm as there was at max level classic Rift. Unless they blow me away I see patch 2.5+ being the mark where substantial content should have been added to draw me back. I'll be very much interested in 2.3 content, I wonder if we'll see something to the quality of Hammerknell again with the state of the current dev team. Time will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    heck I see ppl moaning about 5.2 already a raid and more dailies not even 24 hours later. /yawn.
    People will whine & complain about anything in any game honestly, it could be the smallest thing too, its just how the internet is I guess .
    Not everyone will like something.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-03-07 at 01:04 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I'm holding off on my "Rift is dying!" till 2.3 comes out. While I agree that after the shine of the new expansion wore off it's been pretty lackluster (from a non-raider PoV) for the past few months, I'm not quite ready to "abandon ship" (not that I can anyways, I'm subbed till next January : P).

Trion have created insanely high expectations for themselves, and they've delivered for over a year and a half for me. I can forgive them for a few months of lackluster updates, but we'll see how it goes moving forward.

What has me concerned is this is happening with whats going on elsewhere with the Defiance beta we can't talk about and their pre-selling of $40 DLC packs for the game over a month before it's even out, with little to no detail on what the DLC entails (common practice, I know, but it's a shitty common practice). Trion as a whole are beginning to show some cracks in their shining armor : P

Yeah, it's only been a few months... and we did get "something" at least - It's not like it's been 9 months or more of waiting for new content like there was in WoW at some other point. Rift doesn't have the base to do that though - they need to be better, faster with content release.

To be fair, even during chocolate rift, I still skipped a few patches every now and then. I like to be behind in my mmo's when I log on. I go through periods where I just don't feel like logging on.

As for defiance, I will probably approach this with caution as it seems as Trion is not the company it was two years ago. I did enjoy defiance, but for me unless there is downright amazing subscription offer on the table, I'll go month to month - if it's sub based, of course.

To be honest, I am not too sure Rift's SL content has been "sparse" or infrequent. Classic Rift had lulls too- where patches where "eh" for a while. SL content isn't too shabby for what it is either.

Here is the thing; Rift is very standard. Not a slight- Rift is just a very "safe" and familiar MMO. Someone above pointed out once you note the differences in Rift from WOW [& similar MMOs in the Everquest style], the novelty wears off. I do believe that to be the root of player attrition.

Rift truly gives me an Everquest 2/LOTRO vibe in that the best & worst one can be say is "EQ2/Rift/LOTRO are solid, well made games."

Not a particularly exciting, flashy or controversial MMO on the whole. Rift just doesn't have the cultural importance that generates millions of page views when the color of a Mage's spell effect is changed. Or Colin Johanson hints at a new backpack plushie next patch.

That sort of communal drive is what sustains MMOs for years on end. Even niche MMOs like Eve proliferate on that kind of strife/vigor.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    I find it somewhat comforting to know that a lot of the 'RIFT Vets' so to speak, other than myself are having pretty much the exact same issues and feelings towards the state of the game at the moment as I am, I think we've all been kicked pretty hard with the expectations management for Storm Legion, it was bigged up to be this massive expansion adding two new continents only to be left with a fair bit of disappointment.

To myself at least a lot of the zones feel quite empty and lackluster, quest lines felt extremley rushed and your streamlined in one direction, Storm Legion was initially advertised as having douzens of ways and paths to level, in the end to level 'viably' the only way was really to do the Quest lines, which if didn't even carry you all the way to level 60 without having to do other activities, which sort of 'forced you' to do a bit of everything, as previously mentioned I no-lifed to get to 58 only to complete the 5-7 quests in Ashora and Steppes and was left at 58 and a half to grind another 10 Million odd exp, nowadays those last couple of Levels are mostly done by Grinding Hunt RIFTS.

There is no real incentive to go back and do zone achievements, The game feels like it's lost its 'character' for example a lot of the Artifact sets in Storm Legion are just totally random, with pretty much every single artifact set in Chocolate RIFT you could relate it to some Quest Line or NPC that you had in some way been involved with and it would give you a quick smile as a lot of the Artifact sets poked fun at stuff, I generally have only seen one maybe two sets in Storm Legion I can relate to, adding on to the fact that Artifacts are so so rare and hard to find in Storm Legion, this has really killed any incentive to hunt Artifacts, one of the things I quite enjoyed.

The Raids and Dungeons Team from what I've heard has been taken from 6-7 Staff down to 2 (Cyzo and Halvon), possibly 3 (Unsure if Adam is there still, but Doctapus, Krunkatron and Hostage have gone), so I have a real bleak outlook for any content coming any time soon, If there is another 20 man raid, I don't expect it to be any longer than 5 bosses, which looks set to be a real disappointment.

With the Employment of Dahanese and Overload_UT who let's be brutually honest don't know a thing or get involved with the community and apparently just got employed for their connections in the company and the dismissal of Walshingham and Zann, the community has gone to s***, I love Elrar dearly but he always seems to be to caught up probably filling the roles of both Walsh and Zann. Also they need to get a EU community manager and sort out the EU marketing for RIFT, Chiara Woolford is lovely, but she is having to focus on all four Trion titles and really does not have time for it, after 2 years 99.9% of the UK don't know what RIFT is.

My predicition is within 2 months RIFT will be on a free to play model, which I'm actually quite looking foward to, Judging from what I've recently seen from TERA it will be nothing but a good thing for the game and helping to re-populate it.
    Well, I am still not entirely convinced it is the game and not me. I think most of it is me, then the doom and gloom posts adding to my feelings along with people leaving. The more I see more "vets" saying these types of things though the more it convinces me even more that it may be the game.

The good news is, since my last post, I have downed Crucia twice, back to back nights. Cleared it Tuesday, then again last night. Now we can work on EE rest of the week and hopefully I all all normal content cleared. Where will that leave me though? Just needed to get rep still and farm gear. Not sure it's going to get any better, probably only worse. I see a lot in my guild are raid loggers now and I am becoming one too because there are so many things I'd rather be doing with my free time than farming GHunts, IA or CQ for hours and hours on end.

I never got to play it, so picked it up finally, but am having a lot of fun with Fallout New Vegas. Nowhere near as good as Fallout 3, but still fun. Makes me want to go back and play Fallout 3 again though, I never did finish a full evil play through. I was playing it last night and almost forgot to log on for raid, which is something I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Honestly, this patch 2.2 is nothing but a glorified hotfix.
    i dunno why everyone is complaining we gotCross-Shard Group Invites some small Onslaught fixes and some major class changes etc a total of 10 hotfixes they could just have delayed all the hotfixes for 2.2 and we had some big patchnotes and still some folk would complain

oh noez everything is doomed rift is doomed wow is doomed the whole mmo marked is cursed get off while you can

Quote Originally Posted by Myray View Post
    i dunno why everyone is complaining we gotCross-Shard Group Invites some small Onslaught fixes and some major class changes etc a total of 10 hotfixes they could just have delayed all the hotfixes for 2.2 and we had some big patchnotes and still some folk would complain

oh noez everything is doomed rift is doomed wow is doomed the whole mmo marked is cursed get off while you can
    Trion is relatively easy to figure out. They mix in concept patches(new features), then go into content patches. So 2.3 will probably be Dendrome and the new 10man. This puts 2.4 around late August/September for the new 20man

God I hope its not 8 months delay between 20man raids, that would be much slower release than wow lol

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Trion is relatively easy to figure out. They mix in concept patches(new features), then go into content patches. So 2.3 will probably be Dendrome and the new 10man. This puts 2.4 around late August/September for the new 20man
    While I'm not one to jump on a Chicken Little train, this would be a disaster for this game. Let's hope your estimates are very, very off. Other games are starting to produce content at a very rapid pace compared to their usual operations, but Trion seems to be slowing down. Considering that the amount and pacing of content was one of the game's largest selling points, it would be incredibly negative to see this happen.

Edit:
    I don't personally have a problem with their content delivery and don't think it's so terrible myself how things are playing out in SL, but looking at the larger picture I think it would be a downturn for the game.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    While I'm not one to jump on a Chicken Little train, this would be a disaster for this game. Let's hope your estimates are very, very off. Other games are starting to produce content at a very rapid pace compared to their usual operations, but Trion seems to be slowing down. Considering that the amount and pacing of content was one of the game's largest selling points, it would be incredibly negative to see this happen.

Edit:
    I don't personally have a problem with their content delivery and don't think it's so terrible myself how things are playing out in SL, but looking at the larger picture I think it would be a downturn for the game.
    lol my statement is based off observations not assumption.

Just got through this thread:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...d-revised.html

You will notice they release what I call a concept patch, then shortly after release a content patch. This world event ends in April...give them 1-3 weeks to release 2.3 and you get around May and this is Dendrome and the 10 man content patch.

This last atleast until July or August. Then we get 2.4...probably concept with a 20man thrown in.