10+ Year Old Account

Crits and Mastery procs: Am I missing something?

When Lightning Bolt or Elemental Blast crits, the mastery proc isn't doing 75% of the damage (it's doing 25%), is that the way its always been? Lava Burst procs do 75%, of course, and I could have sworn they did even before 5.2. Can someone clear this up for me, please?
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

Deleted
    A bit tired atm, but the ele mastery tooltip says it'll do 75% of normal damage, no?

15+ Year Old Account
    The mastery proc is 75% damage of the non-crit spell. If your primary spell crits and the mastery proc doesn't, the difference is obviously big.

Some maths:

Your Lightning Bolt crits for 150k, meaning the non-crit is roughly 59k. Mastery proc is 75% of that 59k -> 44k. In that situation the mastery proc is around 30% of your LB crit.
    If the mastery proc crits, it will crit for 111k. 111k is roughly 75% of 150k.

These were just rough numbers, but I hope it clears it up
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it does. Came back to the game recently and for some reason I thought it used to be different. That's kind of lame, ah well.

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 08:45 AM ----------

Well, since the questions been answered by robodin and Puupi (thanks guys), I'm wondering if anyone else thinks it might be a nice alternative to making Lava Burst scale with crit. Only bringing this up because GC said LvB scaling was on the table even though they are concerned about some implications that could result.
    Last edited by shell; 2013-04-05 at 04:45 PM.
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

"Elemental Overload causes a Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, or Lava Burst spell you cast to trigger a second, similar spell on the same target at no additional cost that causes 75% of normal damage and no threat."

Its a similar spell, not "the same spell". Mastery proc can crit, but its nothing to do with the original spell. Like, you are instantly and automatically cast a "lesser lightning bolt" which does less dmg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, like others said, the Mastery proc has a separate chance to Crit all on its own. You can, similarly, get a non-Crit LB off, have Mastery proc, and have the Overload hit for almost twice as much, because it did Crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, like others said, the Mastery proc has a separate chance to Crit all on its own. You can, similarly, get a non-Crit LB off, have Mastery proc, and have the Overload hit for almost twice as much, because it did Crit.
    Wow, never knew this about Elemental mastery, so that means that if they make Lava Burst scale with crit it would basically triple di
    Everything that is, is alive.

Agaor - Enhancement Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavindar View Post
    Wow, never knew this about Elemental mastery, so that means that if they make Lava Burst scale with crit it would basically triple di
    It doesn't really affect LvB, since LvBs (and thus their Overloads) are always Crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavindar View Post
    the main issue with crit, it can be very powerful with 250% crits eb/fulm/lb/cl all those critting and not critting the damage gap is huge, if lava burst damage went up with crit value i'm almost certain elemental would drop 160 int and jump on 320 crit gems instantly because crit would be too good, although really then we'd be an actual working caster since other hybrids already gem haste or mastery or crit, not int which is probably why we keep getting buffs because gemming 160 int doesn't scale with gear as well as all those dots and crit/haste gems do.