Page 1 of 3
LastLast

5.2 PvE - What Spec?

Sorry if there's already discussion going on about this that I missed, but I couldn't seem to find a thread aimed at it.

I haven't had much time to go on the PTR or run Sims but I'm wondering what most people are finding in the highest single target DPS spec in 5.2 in current gear and in T15 gear.

Deleted
    IMO It's going to be Survival overall if you don't want to switch specs every boss. Not entirely sure on the overall DPS of Marksman until someone like
    simulation craft runs the numbers

Looking at the numbers I'm going to play SV and MM in 25 man raiding. The numbers look close enough that it shouldn't matter what spec you play just as long as you play them well. Not a fan of BM and have been playing SV only for a month now and playing MM in LFR just to get used to the spec.

Deleted
    Judging by the sims and applying some logic, Beast mastery will continue to be the top single target spec with Survival as always edging ahead on multi-target fights. Marksmanship doesn't seem to be far below Beast Mastery however. I'm curious if Marksmanship has an edge on say Maegeara where you will have 10 Careful Aim phases. Other than that, the spec seems to be behind once again.

Quote Originally Posted by v BLACKLIGHT v View Post
    IMO It's going to be Survival
    Opinions and actual numbers/math usually don't mix.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2013-03-04 at 04:22 PM.

BM for single target and SV for multi target/aoe fights afaik.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Deleted
    FD BiS, following crit>mastery>haste, 6 mins fight, 78ms (my value):

BM 163344.53
    MM 160010.17
    SV 158876.22

Couple of things to note, going for haste>crit>mastery raises results for all specs, I take it as a FD haste bias. MM sims higher when reforging mastery>haste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    FD BiS, following crit>mastery>haste, 6 mins fight, 78ms (my value):

BM 163344.53
    MM 160010.17
    SV 158876.22

Couple of things to note, going for haste>crit>mastery raises results for all specs, I take it as a FD haste bias. MM sims higher when reforging mastery>haste.
    Is this for a patchwerk style fight?

Deleted
    for MM you'd probably want to aim for a haste plateau. (around 10-12%, accounting for MS lag ) to optimize your AiS / SS cast times within/without rapid fire/bloodlust

haste to plateau>crit>mastery>haste
    vs
    crit > haste to plateau>mastery > haste

If you could FD that? (I have some issues with shot priority/optimizing use with FD)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by v BLACKLIGHT v View Post
    Is this for a patchwerk style fight?
    Yes, of corurse.

Quote Originally Posted by kherber View Post
    for MM you'd probably want to aim for a haste plateau. (around 10-12%, accounting for MS lag ) to optimize your AiS / SS cast times within/without rapid fire/bloodlust

haste to plateau>crit>mastery>haste
    vs
    crit > haste to plateau>mastery > haste

If you could FD that? (I have some issues with shot priority/optimizing use with FD)
    I did FD that, no matter the haste value I still get more dps with crit>mastery>haste. It does seem weird though, would need some other testings from other ppl.

Deleted
    Idd, very odd. Ah well , the verdicts not in on many things yet including correct trinket simming(especially rune although I fail to see the benefit of it atm).

Deleted
    Aren't MM very far behind SV/BM inow when they nerfed the first buffs to the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    Aren't MM very far behind SV/BM inow when they nerfed the first buffs to the ground?
    To the ground is an overstatement. They barely adjusted the buffs. MM is just slightly ahead of SV and slightly behind BM.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2013-03-04 at 05:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    BM is just slightly ahead of SV and slightly behind BM.
    *Cough*
    I think you made a minor typo there somewhere. Pointing it out before people get confused.

Deleted
    Wtf, i just simmed it in FD with my current gear and MM sims highest and then i didn't even change to the MM haste plateau:O
    I used the same settings on all, reforge crit -> mast -> haste, 10 minute fight, 20% in KS and 20% in CA phase, 30ms and ptr.
    The only thing i changed was the MM specifik settings.
    I checked "disable arcane shot while CA is active" and "Disable GT while CA is active" and these ->

Imp SS behavior - SS in pairs if ISS has <= 4 sec left
    AiS behavior - manual cast during CA and instant
    Chimera shot careful aim behavior - delay until <=2.9 sec left on sting

The results ->

BM - 120496.52
    SV - 118075.58 (-2420.94)
    MM - 120649.87 (+2574.29)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    *Cough*
    I think you made a minor typo there somewhere. Pointing it out before people get confused.
    Yep. Meant MM not BM in the first part.

Which focus regen talent are people simming with? Dire beast for BM, fervor for surv, I hope? No idea about MM really, imagine fervor comes out ahead too.

For any fight that heavily favors AoE, you will want to go with a SV spec. For single target, you will have the choice between BM and MM. MM is going to scale incredibly well with this tiers gear, as the haste plateaus are getting ever closer to being attainable out of reforging. I expect that in Heroic gear, MM will become the go to spec as far as fights are concerned. As of right now, you are actually able to pick whichever class you prefer to play, unless you are in a top progression guild where miniscule increases are necessary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Which focus regen talent are people simming with? Dire beast for BM, fervor for surv, I hope? No idea about MM really, imagine fervor comes out ahead too.
    Used DB for BM/MM and fervor for SV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Dire beast for BM and MM, Fervor for SV. Just enabled PTR settings

For me I'm simming at

BM: 122140.35
    MM: 119016.61
    SV: 118841.48

With better gear and a weapon MM may scale better than SV and BM and it could surpass BM possibly.

Deleted
    I'll go with BM for single target and SV for aoe/target switching/cleave encounters. Not sure if MM will be worth since the -25% nerf to CS buff