5.2 Valor priority?

Hey all, I've done a fair amount of research so far but haven't came to a solid conclusion on what I should get as my first 5.2 valor item.

I haven't really been raiding this expansion (outside of LFR) but my toon's ilvl is 488. Mostly LFR gear (some upgraded) and a few 496s, with the exception being my trinkets. I have the darkmoon card (2/2 upgraded) and Elegon's LFR trinket (0/2). I've been saving my valor for the patch and I think that my best choice for the first purchase should be the trinket. I've tried looking up ep values on a lot of the new stuff and can't really find anything other than BiS lists.

I'm aware that the first purchase varies heavily based on current gear, but what I'm really wanting to know is if the trinket is as much of an upgrade as I'm thinking it is. Any help would be awesome.

Oh, and I suppose this helps - my armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Ottomatic/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as much as you'd think; don't undervalue your current trinkets - or overvalue the VP trinket, either.

The base hit is over the base mastery on your Bottle, but it doesn't start as mastery . You're looking at ~500 secondary stats and an average of a whopping 30 agility (assuming 3s to proc after the ICD (45s bottle, 105s VP) for each trinket - if it's shorter than 3s to proc, you get more average agility from the bottle). Beyond that, the trinket won't be available until friendly (when you've killed a raid boss) so you might want to plan differently. I'd put the trinket neck-in-neck with the neck (hah, hah) for your upgrades (agility gain is higher on the neck, sec. stats higher on the trinket), but I also presume the neck will be a lot cheaper, and you're more likely to keep it after your first few LFRs (any 502 trinket should beat the valor one).

I'd recommend using a different reforge tool to get yourself more mastery for your gear (try shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com; enforce the expertise cap in options if you so choose - definitely if you also play combat in the same gear).

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

I think I was mainly jumping into the "higher ilvl = always better" fallacy. The Elegon trinket is my lowest piece so I figured upgrading that to a 522 would make a world of difference. Completely forgot I'm already completely reforging out of hit, and that valor trinket just adds a ton more. I suppose I'll be picking up the necklace on day 1, and be staying away from the trinkets altogether. Thanks again for the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Not as much as you'd think; don't undervalue your current trinkets - or overvalue the VP trinket, either.

The base hit is over the base mastery on your Bottle, but it doesn't start as mastery . You're looking at ~500 secondary stats and an average of a whopping 30 agility (assuming 3s to proc after the ICD (45s bottle, 105s VP) for each trinket - if it's shorter than 3s to proc, you get more average agility from the bottle). Beyond that, the trinket won't be available until friendly (when you've killed a raid boss) so you might want to plan differently. I'd put the trinket neck-in-neck with the neck (hah, hah) for your upgrades (agility gain is higher on the neck, sec. stats higher on the trinket), but I also presume the neck will be a lot cheaper, and you're more likely to keep it after your first few LFRs (any 502 trinket should beat the valor one).

I'd recommend using a different reforge tool to get yourself more mastery for your gear (try shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com; enforce the expertise cap in options if you so choose - definitely if you also play combat in the same gear).
    This advice is NO LONGER wholly correct if you happen back by here. The changes to RPPM have lowered the effectiveness of the LFR- and Normal-mode 502/522 trinkets from TotTK, and the VP trinket is now a "keeper" for normal-mode-at-best raiders. See http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20423140 . There's a lot of detail missing or partially off from those values, I'm sure, but the shado-pan assault trinket's non-RPPM value holds a LOT more ground since the RPPM nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    This advice is NO LONGER wholly correct if you happen back by here. The changes to RPPM have lowered the effectiveness of the LFR- and Normal-mode 502/522 trinkets from TotTK, and the VP trinket is now a "keeper" for normal-mode-at-best raiders. See http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20423140 . There's a lot of detail missing or partially off from those values, I'm sure, but the shado-pan assault trinket's non-RPPM value holds a LOT more ground since the RPPM nerf.
    So I am assuming Ash's post in the linked thread is what we should be basing our Trinkets on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    So I am assuming Ash's post in the linked thread is what we should be basing our Trinkets on?
    That's the best approximation I've seen.

Honestly, you should run your own character with the items equipped; I'm fairly certain that at this point SimC has updated its protocols for RPPM and added the rogue buffs; once you've got your stat weights calculating trinkets is arithmetic.

Well, the VP trinket is a little overvalued in this list since you cannot get down to 7.5% hit in most gear sets if you wear it. For example I'd overcap hit by 300 by using the trinket. In this case it would make the trinket worse by 300*0,415 (second value is the difference of my crit and white hit stat) = 124 less EP. This may be higher depending on the gear you're wearing.

My personal opinion is that Heroic Bottle (510) and Talisman of Bloodlust/VP trinket are likely going to be best until Blizzard applies a hotfix for RPPM trinkets or RPPM chance multiplier for rogues. It cannot be intended that I have a 14% uptime with Bad Juju (in-game, calculations actually used 18%).

Also to add onto this you can get friendly before you even kill a boss. Grind trash and turn in a quest that gives you shado pan assault rep.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 11:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvael View Post
    Well, the VP trinket is a little overvalued in this list since you cannot get down to 7.5% hit in most gear sets if you wear it. For example I'd overcap hit by 300 by using the trinket. In this case it would make the trinket worse by 300*0,415 (second value is the difference of my crit and white hit stat) = 124 less EP. This may be higher depending on the gear you're wearing.

My personal opinion is that Heroic Bottle (510) and Talisman of Bloodlust/VP trinket are likely going to be best until Blizzard applies a hotfix for RPPM trinkets or RPPM chance multiplier for rogues. It cannot be intended that I have a 14% uptime with Bad Juju (in-game, calculations actually used 18%).
    Yeah, I noticed the trinkets now are undervalued a lot in 5.2. I came up with the same results for hunters for heroic modes. H bottle 2/2 and the vp trinket look to be bis to us.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart