Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    so let me get this straight

you want to put c4 in a bunch of violent prisoners' heads.

what practical use could that serve? lol. i get the feeling it's a lot cheaper to just beat them to death with a nightstick or shoot them.

I wonder what would happen if a prisoner connected another implanted prisoner to a power outlet...

Sounds like an escape plan more than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you suppose the physiological implications would be for a person who lives day to day knowing that at any moment they could be killed.

Remember the point of our legal system is to try and 'rehabilitate' people to be able to continue living in society.

To much already we treat prison as simple segregation. A person behaves badly? Throw them into prison and throw away the key so they aren't a danger to anyone anymore. So what happens in 20 years when they get out? We have the person they used to be, with the defect that made them act out to begin with, now amplified 100 times greater. Ask anyone who has spent any amount of time in prison, they will tell you what prison is best at is teaching you to be a better criminal. It hardens you, it dehumanizes you, it makes you meaner, leaner and ready to cause real damage.

Now.

You want to take that and add the stress of instant death on top of it?

I also have to wonder, why are you even suggesting this? What good do you see it doing? What problem are you trying to solve? We already incarcerate an insane number of people, why do we need the added cost and stress of injecting bombs into their heads? I'm not sure why your even doing this? Are you suggesting that prisons would be a safer place to work if we filled them with bombs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Just by reading the title of this tread I could tell this idea would fall under the category of cruel and unusual punishment (aka the 8th amendment(yes I just looked that up)).

10+ Year Old Account
    this has bad idea written all over it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    ...that you've stolen it from Sci-Fi films.
    LMAO. I like it better than my idea of making them live under ground and have to get their retinas polished.

I think your idea is nuts and based on ignorance.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialsniper View Post
    I have an idea on how to deal with violent prisoners.The idea is to implant pisoners convicted of murder or other servere violent crimes with an implant that has a small quantity of explosives into the brain of the convicted prisoner and the wardens with a remote activation device that they can use if they're unable to control a violent prisoner and when the warden pushes the button on the remote activation device the implant detonates the small quantity of explosives immediately terminating the violent prisoner.So what do you think of my idea?
    Terrible is the only word that comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Sounds ghoulish and wrong. If they are that bad, shoot them in the head. Quick and clean.
    How is shooting them precisely a better solution exactly? Shooting them is just as likely to create the gross mess and increases the chances of not hitting your target by a huge amount. It'd be child's play to create a charge that has only enough explosive power to basically cave their skull in. Granted the OP isn't exactly clear on the scenarios but it's not too hard to imagine it'd likely involve someone else like a guard or another prisoner.

I can understand supporting both, or disagreeing with both. But in all honesty the only reason I can think of for supporting shooting a violent prisoner in the head as a better alternative to the brain exploding is guns just make you feel better than explosives. Slightly more ethical maybe from the Curel and unusual punishment standpoint? But it didn't seem like you were disagreeing with is because of that.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2013-03-05 at 10:41 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    A staple of early 90's b-scifi flix such as Fortress (1992) with Christopher Lambert and Wedlock (1991) with Ruther Hauer to name but a few. So it's not really new, I don't see this getting implemented irl anytime soon due to the extremely messy nature of how this would potentially turn out.
    Oh man, those are two awesome classic films from my youth, especially the Rutger Hauer one, which I remember watching at the cinema with my Dad
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Hackers will find out how to make prisoners' heads blow up all over the country, and that's just the first problem that came to mind.

Bad idea.
    If a hacker feels like blowing these prisoner's heads off.. Isn't he doing the country a favor? After all, it costs far too much to sentence them to death, but it still costs a great amount to keep them living.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Sounds like a violation of human rights to me.
    When it comes to murderers, or even violent crimes against other human beings, I personally believe they gave up their "human rights". A person can't just expect to violently mistreat another human and expect to be treated like one themselves. They have become something not human. They have become animal.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Sounds like a violation of human rights to me.
    Some people give up their human rights with their actions.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I'd put this in the category of "Causing more problems then it would solve".

One major problem we are dealing with here is that activating the implant would be totally irreversible. Once someone presses the button (or a defective device or control system causes it to go off all by itself) the prisoner is very dead, even if they might as well of been a saint from the moment they walked through the prison doors.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Some people give up their human rights with their actions.
    No, they don't. Everyone has human rights. If Hitler somehow turned up still alive today he'd still have basic human rights.

If they had explosives in their head they wouldn't need a weapon to take someone hostage and make demands etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    When it comes to murderers, or even violent crimes against other human beings, I personally believe they gave up their "human rights". A person can't just expect to violently mistreat another human and expect to be treated like one themselves. They have become something not human. They have become animal.
    I...take a different point of view. For two key reasons here.

1. What you define as a crime worthy of dehumanization might not be what the people in power define as a crime worthy of dehumanization. How would you like it if someone in power decided that even the most non-violent drug offenders lost their human rights? While that's an admittedly extreme example, it illustrates that people might not agree on what exactly constitutes a crime worthy of a loss of human rights.

2. Because if as a society you treat your most despicable members like animals, all you are doing is proving you are the stronger animal. By treating even the scum of the earth with a basic level of dignity, society makes it clear to even the most casual observers who the monsters really are in this equation.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    So if you kill someone who you deem to be 'something not human', are you still human, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    I...take a different point of view. For two key reasons here.

1. What you define as a crime worthy of dehumanization might not be what the people in power define as a crime worthy of dehumanization. How would you like it if someone in power decided that even the most non-violent drug offenders lost their human rights? While that's an admittedly extreme example, it illustrates that people might not agree on what exactly constitutes a crime worthy of a loss of human rights.

2. Because if as a society you treat your most despicable members like animals, all you are doing is proving you are the stronger animal. By treating even the scum of the earth with a basic level of dignity, society makes it clear to even the most casual observers who the monsters really are in this equation.
    What qualities as a human being do you share with a violent murderous rapist child molester? Other than the fact the he/she might look human by know means makes them "human"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicuros View Post
    old idea is old. Arnold Schwarzenegger , The Running Man. 1989.
    Implants are more like Fortress, 1992 with Christopher Lambert, and I guess many more.