10+ Year Old Account

Sins of a Solar Empire.

This is on sale on Steam atm and the gameplay looks interesting... Even though I am not at all an RTS fan. Is it a game that is worth getting? For me, story line and gameplay have to go hand in hand to create a powerful narrative. Is this one of those games?

This game isn't for you then. It's an amazing gameplay experience, but there really isn't any story to it. It doesn't even have a campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, despite the background, in-game I never felt like there was much story to it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

No storyline, only some lore. Still a great game though, and the company behind it are one of the humblest & consumer friendly there is.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    It's not easy to pick up if you're not even really into RTS at all. It is however an absolutely awesome game if you're into space strategy & sims.

Quote Originally Posted by BelziBhaal View Post
    Is this one of those games?
    No.

This is a gameplay first title.

Yep, there is a background as to why there is war, but has no effect on gameplay. No campaign, only tutorial and matches.

The fantastic thing about this game IMO is the mod community.

I often find myself engrossed in massive 4-6 hour space battles, but as others have said, there is no actual campaign story

however, it's definitely one of the better strategy titles out there and I always love the time I spend on it

I never got the Rebellion but the game is pretty sweet for multiplayer and decent enough for some solo player action.

The solo player experience isn't great because it lacks a campaign and the ship limits make the large maps crazy dumb.

The mods though are awesome. brb, playing the Empire fro Star Wars in SoaSE

I enjoy the game, but in small doses. For some reason it just has no replayability value for me, so I pick it up for a day or two, then drop it for another month.

I play single player vs AI though, so that could be the reason. Every game seems to follow a somewhat formulaic approach that consists of camping forward planets with massive turrets / healer satellites / fortresses, and making incursions with titan + battleship fleets with long range artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I enjoy the game, but in small doses. For some reason it just has no replayability value for me, so I pick it up for a day or two, then drop it for another month.

I play single player vs AI though, so that could be the reason. Every game seems to follow a somewhat formulaic approach that consists of camping forward planets with massive turrets / healer satellites / fortresses, and making incursions with titan + battleship fleets with long range artillery.
    I take it you don't play on the hardest difficulty with 8+ enemies :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post

You need friends, the game is quite amazing with someone to play with/against. IMO this is the closest to the legendary Homeworld that one can find on the market atm.

Deleted
    agreed and wait till sins of the fallen get's completely done for sins it's imho the best mod out there (not saying the others aren't good don't get me wrong but in overall replayability that mod just tips it all) and idd playing with a friend is a must i usually end up playing with my best friend for about 6-10h on a good match ^^